Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you had a good trip....We didn't go to the island as planned....I chickened out because of the slight "Growl" I heard the last two times I had the boat out......not the time of year to head offshore knowing there may be a problem. Sat. pulled the drive and sure enough....water in the drive bellows....that always spells the end of the gimbal bearing......though I could not fell any roughness spinning the inner race of the bearing the presence of saltwater told the tale.....

Salt water and bearings never mix well, best to get them changed out and a new bellows installed before going out again. Gots to keep that nasty salt water out of the mechanicals!

Salt water and bearings never mix well, best to get them changed out and a new bellows installed before going out again. Gots to keep that nasty salt water out of the mechanicals!

Yep....I have all three sets of bellows and a new gimbal bearing....but lack the $2-300.00 worth of special tools to do the job correctly...just gonna take it over to my local mercruiser dealer and let them do it....he said he could have it for me by next weekend.....take me that long to get the tools..........

Yep....I have all three sets of bellows and a new gimbal bearing....but lack the $2-300.00 worth of special tools to do the job correctly...just gonna take it over to my local mercruiser dealer and let them do it....he said he could have it for me by next weekend.....take me that long to get the tools..........
Yeah, when you need it fixed in short order that is a reasonable way to go. Not likely you will need those , special tools again any time soon.

Yeah, when you need it fixed in short order that is a reasonable way to go. Not likely you will need those , special tools again any time soon.

Well not right away...but the bellows should be replaced every 7 yrs or sooner according to Merc.....I will probably end up with them sometime anyway as I have this Merc Alpha I Gen II drive and another Alpha I drive on a project boat which will need all new bellows and gimbal bearing too at some point. But right now it's a time thing so it makes sense to hire it done by the pro mechanics and get back in the water........

Well not right away...but the bellows should be replaced every 7 yrs or sooner according to Merc.....I will probably end up with them sometime anyway as I have this Merc Alpha I Gen II drive and another Alpha I drive on a project boat which will need all new bellows and gimbal bearing too at some point. But right now it's a time thing so it makes sense to hire it done by the pro mechanics and get back in the water........

Another hit in the Sporran, but very necessary in both cases ifn ya want to run em.

We always had stern drives as I was growing up. I know in an offshore boat the weight is nice but for me, I'll stick to either a full inboard or an outboard. I guess nothing is easy...it is a boat.

Last one dad picked up was an 18' SeaDoo hull with a 225 v6 Merc power head sitting on a jet. That's a neat and simple little power package and since that hull also could take two Rotax jets, lots of room in there to work on it.

Of course I think my next vessel will be a 17' flat back canoe for this 2hp Honda I have. Simple, quiet, efficient and one man can move it around.

We always had stern drives as I was growing up. I know in an offshore boat the weight is nice but for me, I'll stick to either a full inboard or an outboard. I guess nothing is easy...it is a boat.

Last one dad picked up was an 18' SeaDoo hull with a 225 v6 Merc power head sitting on a jet. That's a neat and simple little power package and since that hull also could take two Rotax jets, lots of room in there to work on it.

Of course I think my next vessel will be a 17' flat back canoe for this 2hp Honda I have. Simple, quiet, efficient and one man can move it around.
I like jets
2fdbd4be37c466a1cdaa630e785927d9.jpg

Never been a fan of outdrives.........."worst of both worlds" we always called them.......that's why I always keep a rebuilt drive unit on the shelf.......would way prefer a mid mounted engine and a 2:1 Velvet Drive......especial in docking situations......nice to just lean on the shifter a tad rather than straight in or out.....and a rudder will steer you much tighter than any outdrive can bend.....even though the Seaway is real flat aft and will haul her stern in pretty quick....just not the same......

Growing up we spent a LOT of time around water, namely Lake Wateree in SC in the Beaver Creek area. Dad worked at Bowden's Marina now Lake Wateree Marina growing up from the time he was 14 or so on through the time he got out of the service. Last time he "worked" there was ~'82 helping The Colonel after his son killed himself.

All that being said my father genuinely HATES a boat. He's burned out on them.... nothing excites him about a boat at all.. except one type. A nice almost flat bottom V-drive. He's always wanted one like this. Why I dunno... but he came close to buying one on a couple of occasions.

SB3C1079_s.jpg

Something about a screaming motor and real efficient drive. He always told us kids.."Hell yea you can ski behind it.. you'll get up out of the water fast!"

Not worth a damn off shore or in much chop.. but on a smooth body of water.. loads of fun.

Mine does decent on chop its a shallow vee bottom. It runs 75+ with a mild BBC. Its all original besides the motor. Its a 1980 mantra.

Alot of history with it, used to race against my dad in the late 80s early 90s. My grandfather bought the boat in 96 to have something as fast as my Dads boat. I got it about a year ago.

Here is a idle video
My slow jet idling:

Heres a pass, was running dry headers and a scoop. I popped the engine shortly after. I dropped a valve in #1 grenaded it.
Last pass before #1 cylinder sucked a valve:

I have the new engine, its out of a chevelle. Im going to go thru it put a nice cam in it nothing special just really looking for reliability.

288b3ce3718adc91a62dfc60985010e2.jpg

You don't know anyone looking for an old style OMC out drive do you? The one before the 800. Got one that needs a new home.

I don't Jimmy....much as I like OMC based outboards (Evinrude/Jonhnson I have little use for their outdrives.........Merc is in the middle......Volvo Penta is the top of the **** heap....but ...well you know.......all the same in the end......

Back