Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gone through plenty of them, no AV and just a rough all around saw. My good friend in Nfld. bought a new one in the mid 70`s, they were a step up from the XL12`s.
d37c50c6fa389df060e5d03fcb0252d7.jpg
059d1f49c8cdaac00fe2f64f7c3f5ef1.jpg
f960725b0ecc248f8c47511d65cb679a.jpg

The XL12 and SLAO`s would boil their fuel in the summer causing some re start problems but the Skil had a separate plastic fuel tank and they didn`t boil fuel, they were the forerunners of the modern chainsaws with separate fuel tanks. They would have been a great saw if they had AV.

Miserable day on the truck project yesterday.....well....not miserable so much as just arduous ....... Removing the fuel tank was a real PITA.....metal lines coming and going at the fuel pump crumbled when I tried the release the "Quick Connects" to the plastic jumper lines......so new fuel pump is in order... but....the lock ring holding it in was rusted to the fingers that hold it in as well as to the metal pump housing....rusting together was not as much of an issue as the fact that the rust had "grown" and swelled the parts together....lots of PB and beating ensued....about two hours actually before the lock ring gave it up. Glad I wasn't trying to fix that on the side of the road!!! I did this before removing the tank so I wasn't chasing the tank around the shop. So.....New fuel pump and lock ring........but wait...that's not all.....fuel feed and return lines also crumbled right where they went through a plastic clamp thingy....when I tried to release the other end of the plastic jumpers.......Soooo....new fuel pump, lock ring and fuel lines from the engine to the tank and emissions canister....that'll kick the **** out of $500.00 I'm sure. As much of a PITA it all is.....better to do it all now while I can almost see/reach it all rather than next month when it **** the bed halfway to somewhere..... At the end of the day the pitbull won......tank out and forward failed cross member out and gone......off to the shop now to see whether I'm going forward or backwards......

OH....Hey Danny got all your firewood out of the truck!!!!!!!:cheers:DSC_0186.JPG DSC_0188.JPG DSC_0189.JPG DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0191.JPG

Robin thanks for the pictures and narratives. It amazes me as a truck like that would simply be scrapped here... no where near accustomed to working on stuff like that; I guess we are spoiled. The work looks top notch though!

Box should arrive at the shop today. Open it up and make sure you have room to carry those big pieces with ya!

Never seen a Chevy frame rust so bad . Ferd do much worse round here ? They are riveted together right at the back of the cab . I know of 3 that was replaced from the cab back . 2 of them I owned before and after they were fixed . My neighbor did on his own truck , plus rockers and door bottoms rotted out . Rest of that truck looked new ?

Robin thanks for the pictures and narratives. It amazes me as a truck like that would simply be scrapped here... no where near accustomed to working on stuff like that; I guess we are spoiled. The work looks top notch though!

Box should arrive at the shop today. Open it up and make sure you have room to carry those big pieces with ya!

Always been that way here but been getting worse the last few years between the trucks getting lighter built and going from salt sand to straight rock salt on the roads. Always good running gear up here in rusted away vehicles but nothing to bolt them into.....

Box did arrive today...haven't opened it but I believe we won't have to rent a trailer to get them the rest of the way to N.S.

Jimmy...This truck is the exception to the rule........most like this are scrapped here too.....10 years old...good care...163,000 miles runs and drives just like it did when I bought it....tin work is still good......no body could afford to have all this work done......but I like the truck and I'm just not done with it yet.....so it has to go some more.....at least until the daughter is out of college......and maybe a little more....we'll see.....I generally run 'em until the wheels fall off....that's when I start looking for a new one.......

Hey John......another 490 landed here today and I'll be darned but the stud that holds the top cover is twisted off in the bottom of the hole just like the other one!! The alum nut is there with the stud stuck in it...lol!! I just replaced an OH26 air filter so now I have two extra nuts but I'll have to bore the old one out like the other one...
Keep your eye out for a nice straight half wrap for that saw......this one is bent pretty bad......I'm on the hunt......rest of the saw looks great...16" Tsmura bar in 3/8" with three chains.

Never seen a Chevy frame rust so bad . Ferd do much worse round here ? They are riveted together right at the back of the cab . I know of 3 that was replaced from the cab back . 2 of them I owned before and after they were fixed . My neighbor did on his own truck , plus rockers and door bottoms rotted out . Rest of that truck looked new ?

Just standard fare here John, every make and model will rust like that, some sooner than others but all will if not meticulously maintained. Mu old 79 still had black paint on the frame, not factory black paint but the stuff I put on it when it was only one year old. Still had its original fuel lines and all its brake lines on the frame, I replaced the rear brake lines on the rear differential housing with those epoxy coated lines long before they got scabby just to be sure a line did not break under hard braking with a load on. The only way to keep a frame here is to undercoat twice a year without skipping even once. 34 years for a truck frame here would be considered very rare on a vehicle used year round and never garage kept.

Hey John......another 490 landed here today and I'll be darned but the stud that holds the top cover is twisted off in the bottom of the hole just like the other one!! The alum nut is there with the stud stuck in it...lol!! I just replaced an OH26 air filter so now I have two extra nuts but I'll have to bore the old one out like the other one...
Keep your eye out for a nice straight half wrap for that saw......this one is bent pretty bad......I'm on the hunt......rest of the saw looks great...16" Tsmura bar in 3/8" with three chains.

I have lots of stuff/parts for them if you can`t find them state side.

Just standard fare here John, every make and model will rust like that, some sooner than others but all will if not meticulously maintained. Mu old 79 still had black paint on the frame, not factory black paint but the stuff I put on it when it was only one year old. Still had its original fuel lines and all its brake lines on the frame, I replaced the rear brake lines on the rear differential housing with those epoxy coated lines long before they got scabby just to be sure a line did not break under hard braking with a load on. The only way to keep a frame here is to undercoat twice a year without skipping even once. 34 years for a truck frame here would be considered very rare on a vehicle used year round and never garage kept.

Yep and that 79 even had real iron in the frame....not the cheezy crumple zone frames of today......I use either prebent stainless or nickel/copper brake lines these days........if you look closely in the pics. the rear main line is Teflon coated auto parts store stuff replaced 3-4 years ago when the OEM one rotted away up above the fuel tank......it is getting scabby now....replace that this episode as well. Truck should be in pretty good standing after this fit.......

The NiCu lines are not DOT approved up here .
Jimmy , Robin's frame is rated as "Mint" up here .
Robin , just keep that powered bike on board for when the Cheby calls it quits LOL
Nice work .

That's to bad.......They are good this side o'de border......nice stuff to work with....but straight copper is not either unless OEM......the '76 Blue Brick is all OEM copper lines.....

Stainless lines would be the best around here but if kept undercoated the lines have lasted quite well except those down where they are literally sandblasted by the rock salt. This winter the Dept of Transport were spreading salt brine instead of rock salt, likely no better but can`t be much worse.

Latest posts

Back