suspenders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tramp, You ever try cutting the top off of an old pair of corks to use as a shoulder pad? Best I have ever used. This was passed on to me by my Dad, and it works great cuz you already have a natural curve (as long as you cut it off where it bends at the ankle) so that it protects your neck too. The first pic I posted in this thread (post #23) shows mine fairly well. Just wondering if you have ever seen or tried it. The Moose hide sounds like a good Idea :)

Saw patch is usually a hot weather gig for me. I don't like having the big leather patches up on me. I have a big leather ##### pad on my riggin sack strap. I use a smaller, paded sling from carpenter belt/suspension bags on suspenders. I take the pad off one of those set ups. It's small but compact. It doesn't rub you wrong and it is thick enough to be protective.

Cody! Put these or other pics on my Falling pics thread!!! Please....LOL

101 uses for an old pair of corks !

When I was in my 20s I figured out about 50 GOOD uses for an old pair of corks .. I figured by the time I was 40 I would have the rest learned and was going to write a little booklet or at least a chapter in a book I would write .. .. I have made them from corks ... Wedge pouches also ... The pouch my partner was wearing the 1st time he got a tree on him was one I made from an old pair of Currins 14" tops .. Sewed the kiltie on as the belt loop . I cut the tounge out of it and laced it up tight .... It was great as it wouldn,t hold the sawdust too much sewed the ankle area shut... Held 4 wedges too .Which we needed on that job , cutting powerline and road row with the lines up and hot , and Big wood close to the lines ...... I use the tops of old felts from felt lined winter corks under the leather saw pad also ... Back then all I had was a speedy sticher. Now I have proper needles and thread and have learned how to sew with double needles . But I broke my awl ... I don,t know where to get a good awl ,,the Osborne ones break after a short time .....

Last edited:
sewing awl

When I was in my 20s I figured out about 50 GOOD uses for an old pair of corks .. I figured by the time I was 40 I would have the rest learned and was going to write a little booklet or at least a chapter in a book I would write .. .. I have made them from corks ... Wedge pouches also ... The pouch my partner was wearing the 1st time he got a tree on him was one I made from an old pair of Currins 14" tops .. Sewed the kiltie on as the belt loop . I cut the tounge out of it and laced it up tight .... It was great as it wouldn,t hold the sawdust too much sewed the ankle area shut... Held 4 wedges too .Which we needed on that job , cutting powerline and road row with the lines up and hot , and Big wood close to the lines ...... I use the tops of old felts from felt lined winter corks under the leather saw pad also ... Back then all I had was a speedy sticher. Now I have proper needles and thread and have learned how to sew with double needles . But I broke my awl ... I don,t know where to get a good awl ,,the Osborne ones break after a short time .....

Can't remember where I got my sewing awl, but if I do, I will let you know. You are talking about the one with the wood handle that you use with heavy wax thread right? I love mine! I remember my first trip to Alaska (camp muzon, at Lyman Anchorage in '96) All the old bushelers there were always wanting me to sew their gear for them. Worked especially well for shortening up my suspenders as I have a short back :mad: so I would cut the leather pieces off of the back straps, take out a section of elastic suspender material, and re- sew the leathers back on with my sewing awl. Sometimes I would even cut and reattach the leather piece where my suspenders crossed in the back cuz it would rub on the back of my neck.

I had a set .

I used to have a harness that clipped to my work belt that I bought at a saw shop in Orofino Idaho. It was pretty sweet; all leather with sheep skin covering on the bottom of the leather pads that went around your shoulders like a yoke, with leather straps that clipped onto a work belt made by the same outfit. I believe they were made by a saddle shop somewhere around northern Idaho, but can't be certain? If I find a pic or a link I will post it. They are pretty sweet especially if a guy is going to pack an axe on his saw belt with one of those aluminum scabbards (used to be my regular garb when I was bushelin in a junk patch next to a creek and having to do a lot of wedge beatin. I got used to using a 6 pound axe with a 36" handle (or Silvey tree savers when they were warranted) when I was falling timber in Northern California, so there was no way I was going to pack that much weight around on my shoulders, not to mention the long handled axe, so I gave my harness away, and just got used to throwing my fallin axe to the trees where I knew I would need it, or just leaving it with my pack-sack and gas jugs.

.I got them under the bench in the saw shop , I think in Rowan bay .... The bushler who had them tramped or got tramped sold some of his stuff , threw alot in the trash barrel , No one could figure that out . Took his wedge belt but left the yoke , straps and pads ..... Wore them for years . Still have one of the pads somewhere ... I packed a 5 lb ax for a season or 2 ...2 tapes , 4 wedges and a spare chain in my wedge pouch , then added a liter aluminum fuel bottle of gas and a pint bottle of bar oil ....It always bugged me I didn,t have a drink bottle with also ..When I quit packin the ax I added the cytomax ..drink

Can't remember where I got my sewing awl, but if I do, I will let you know. You are talking about the one with the wood handle that you use with heavy wax thread right? I love mine! I remember my first trip to Alaska (camp muzon, at Lyman Anchorage in '96) All the old bushelers there were always wanting me to sew their gear for them. Worked especially well for shortening up my suspenders as I have a short back :mad: so I would cut the leather pieces off of the back straps, take out a section of elastic suspender material, and re- sew the leathers back on with my sewing awl. Sometimes I would even cut and reattach the leather piece where my suspenders crossed in the back cuz it would rub on the back of my neck.

. I need to get another scanner . I have pics of mine .Quite a lot of them ,pics that is ............ When I started Framing I put them on my Occidental Belt . which I got from my partner for 50 $ . Same one who got a couple trees on himself .............
.The sheep skin pads are awesome when packin lumber , specially joists !!!
. Ya the awl with the wood handle ...... Someone kindof needs to let people know not to get the long Better or Wright spenders ..... Too long ... The Shorts are almost too long for me .... I made the back leathers from old cork tops after the ones that came with wore out ..... .. That (Tear Mender ) that Madsens sells is great stuff . I would glue stuff then sew it , like the X back on the spenders I always had to shorten ........I found out that if you punch the leather tabs with a round punch before you cut the slit they work out all the way around alot better .......Gotta go ta work ..

The OP asked (a few years ago) why the west coast guys wear suspenders. It is because we have a bigger package than the east coasters. I mean we have bigger trees so we have to carry bigger wedges and a bigger axe. Suspenders hold up our package (of wedges) better without causing our pants to sag.

BTW, good stuff.
http://grizzlypeakenterprises.com/index.htm

The OP asked (a few years ago) why the west coast guys wear suspenders. It is because we have a bigger package than the east coasters. I mean we have bigger trees so we have to carry bigger wedges and a bigger axe. Suspenders hold up our package (of wedges) better without causing our pants to sag.

BTW, good stuff.

Dirt bag!!! LOL :cheers:

BTW, good stuff.

Yeah, that is them. Thanks man!

Cripes... I gots quite a few sets. I like the Welch "Y" backs myself. My favorite pair is the pair I got from Wood's Loggin' Supply years ago. I believe every pic of me on here, I'm wearin' that pair... :)

Even in my avatar...

Gary

Cripes... I gots quite a few sets. I like the Welch "Y" backs myself. My favorite pair is the pair I got from Wood's Loggin' Supply years ago. I believe every pic of me on here, I'm wearin' that pair... :)

Even in my avatar...

Gary
They do have great suspenders heavy without being to stiff. Got the same green set.

Thanks 2 dogs . Got a good story !

The very first one of these I owned was given to me by a bushler named Ralph Howard... John Ellison may know one of the Howard brothers ....
. Ralph wasn,t the kind of cutter you worked close to ...... He,s no longer with us on this side ..... We were cuttin for Jesse Hull on PoW. . Our strips were yellow cedar spike snag #### patches that should have been left for Habitat ... It was real junk ...... Ralph had just got a brand new Ace Morgan hot rodded 475 Poulan Pro .. Basically a Jonsred in yellow and grey colors .........Ace wouldn,t open up mufflers He just wouldn,t . his saws were awesome ,but getting rid of the screen helped and when the muffler got a couple more holes in it it helped a little more .... Anyway Ralph was running this state of the art saw , he had real hungry ,but sharp chains and he wanted to get rich .. He had one of these large size aluminum ax scabbards with a short handled 6 lb Dayton ax in it ..... It really bothered him that his new , that day brand new saw didn,t make more noise than it did .... So he decided to fix that ... . Now if you are in a hurry , you can fairly easily take the face of the muffler off from most saws with the allen or torx wrench that comes with the saw ... lay it on a stump , take your bar wrench and a maggy , Big Bannana ,or 12" Hard head wedge and knock a few holes in the face of the muffler from the inside out ... then put it back on and be done in about 3 minutes tops . Done it a few times , I know ... Ralph was in a hurry .:chainsaw:.. but his ax was dull ,,,.oh well .. he put his new saw on a stump and took his ax and bashed a few slits in the muffler face .:chainsaw:......... He was whinedinon er . cuttin and he cut up a yellow cedar spike snag about 16" on the stump but for some reason it set back on him . guess he forgot it or something . anyway he worked his way out in front of that snag and fell several more trees when he saw a movement ,turned to run but was trapped in a bunch of brush with no way out so he real quik scrunched up like a verticle turtle and that spike snag came down right along his back,,.... It was only about 3 " diameter where it hit him and the ax scabbard with the trusty 6 lb Dayton in it .... It ripped the rivets out of the metal ... Gave his wedge belt a heck of a jerk . he got a slight bruise from his belt being jerked and a small scratch from a spike knot . Thats all ... When we had walked down to the road to meet the crummy at quiting time he asked me if I wanted an ax scabbard . I said sure why . he said he had broke his then told me the story and showed me where he was standing , they were snorkle yarding strips along the road we were cutting .......... I put the belt loop back on with some saw nuts and bolts of various types with some washers I bummed from Ron Hull ............. This story is true ! . I used that ax scabbard for a couple few years .. Don,t know what ever became of it ??

Last edited:

Even in my avatar...

Gary

Watch out! Y backs are girly ones. :) That's the kind I wear. They can be found at Sunbirds.

I have to wear them since I have become round and carry so much important stuff in my pockets...like heavy duty lighter, keys--too many keys and those stupid multi-tools. Gotta have the latter for in the woods paint gun repairs.

I use nylon :eek: boot laces.:)

Red showed up with his chin held high yesterday with some of those sweet fallers suspenders from Madsens, out of nowhere.

AND, he taught me this trick for spender buttons where a little more than the bachelor buttings can handle is needed. Hardware from Lowes or wherever. The suspender tabs were stretched already from use on an old belt thats why they're uneven.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Watch out! Y backs are girly ones. :) That's the kind I wear. They can be found at Sunbirds.

I have to wear them since I have become round and carry so much important stuff in my pockets...like heavy duty lighter, keys--too many keys and those stupid multi-tools. Gotta have the latter for in the woods paint gun repairs.

I use nylon :eek: boot laces.:)

. I prefer Y back spenders ... They are harder to find tho .... There NOT girly

Back