suspenders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hamms and Olympia.....Oly first and foremost. Good Logger brew.Those two where my favorite cheap woods beers. Olypmia makes Rainier taste like vomit.

You should get an award for drinking Coors O, damn that stuff is rank. Women think they know it all!!! A man can't even provide beer for the house with out getting yelled at! LOL

Hamms and Olympia.....Oly first and foremost. Good Logger brew.Those two where my favorite cheap woods beers. Olypmia makes Rainier taste like vomit.

You should get an award for drinking Coors O, damn that stuff is rank. Women think they know it all!!! A man can't even provide beer for the house with out getting yelled at! LOL

WE DO KNOW IT ALL!:)

We keep you guys out of trouble--like you have to work to pay for feeding horses and beer instead of running around and getting into heaven only knows!

Oly? Coors? No way. Start with a couple of micro brews then switch to Animal Beer when you are past the state where taste matters. Simple, easy, no brainer. See, we know it all.....now go to work. :)

Thankful for Women and Beer

WE DO KNOW IT ALL!:)

We keep you guys out of trouble--like you have to work to pay for feeding horses and beer instead of running around and getting into heaven only knows!

Oly? Coors? No way. Start with a couple of micro brews then switch to Animal Beer when you are past the state where taste matters. Simple, easy, no brainer. See, we know it all.....now go to work. :)

Even though I hate to admit it, and thankfully my wife never gets on here to read this...I gotta agree with ya Patty...My Wife does keep me out of trouble, and I am a lucky man! :bang:

As far as the beer...I can't hardly stand fizzy yellow beer anymore, even though it used to be all that I would drink. Here is one of my favorites, and it is even named after me :clap:

abale.jpg

intro.gif

Good beer...kinda like a meal in a bottle though. Made by the Stone brewing company in San Diego

I use to drink Deschutes Jubile, Mirror Pond, Black Butte, Everything Full Sail offered, and tons of good local wine. Cheap beer was consumed when we hit the landing and watched the loggers work in the heat of the afternoon. Creek stash or a buddy's cooler....thank you God for giving me the strength and courage to face my disease that I allowed to fester, and feed it. Alcohol nearly took my whole life, be careful boys, but drink one or fifteen for me! Two years sober Feb. 5th. I am a different animal now, especially in the woods, #### what was I doing??? LOL

......In village Alaska there are multiple mobile billboards advertiseing the evils of drink ... If you go to the village clinics you can see the aftermath of the ( parties) .......
.And I,ve never seen a bushler who was worth a crap while drinkin or druggin ...
. Oh , they think they are . but their life and work are like a guy goin to work all day wearin nothin but his woolies with the trap door open ............

And I enjoy a beer at the end of the day ,or at dinner ...Just hate bein drunk ...cause when your drunk ,your not a cutter , or a dad , or a hunter , or anything else ... your just a ####in pos drunk , might as well go pass out with the local indigenis residents and get rolled in a ditch
.On the flip side , my heart really goes out to people with a problem with the jug .....Un fortunatly , I don,t have much patients with the druggies .........
. Everyone has their weakness ...And like Clint said ... A Mans Got to Know His Limitations ....

......In village Alaska there are multiple mobile billboards advertiseing the evils of drink ... If you go to the village clinics you can see the aftermath of the ( parties) .......
.And I,ve never seen a bushler who was worth a crap while drinkin or druggin ...
. Oh , they think they are . but their life and work are like a guy goin to work all day wearin nothin but his woolies with the trap door open ............

And I enjoy a beer at the end of the day ,or at dinner ...Just hate bein drunk ...cause when your drunk ,your not a cutter , or a dad , or a hunter , or anything else ... your just a ####in pos drunk , might as well go pass out with the local indigenis residents and get rolled in a ditch
.On the flip side , my heart really goes out to people with a problem with the jug .....Un fortunatly , I don,t have much patients with the druggies .........
. Everyone has their weakness ...And like Clint said ... A Mans Got to Know His Limitations ....

I went up the Kuskokwim, Aniak, Salmon, Kipchuck, Tickchick park, ect. and lived in the bush for 3 months once. Crazy. I carried my 44 Ruger Red Hawk under my jacket for people, not Grizz so much. "Gusoks" (as you are well aware of) as we are refered to (whites) are not always welcome. A small village had a teacher running, getting beaten, locked himself up in a janitorial closet for 3 days afraid for his life....Locals were hopped up on Meth and R&R (R&R is Gold Bullion of the bush there for trades, LOL) chasing the new Gosik, they had a season on them.

Druggies are high for days, not just the day they take that poison. They stay up for days, and still cut like that. Smoke meth on Friday night and cut logs like a zombie on Monday. :dizzy: I cut for loggers like that and the chaos was first class.

I had a meeting one morning this winter with some loggers, told them I was turning all of my cutter's strips 90 DEGREES OUT. The logs were just pulled out of the strips, and the leads had to be turned to compensate the four 36's we were bucking out of them. To save out and so they would not cross the line. NO ONE PERIOD, was suppose to be above the landing on ANY SPURS OR FIELD. Ok, no problems. I notice about an hour later as I put my nail in a butt of 40" Fir with four longs in it, a 545 Cat parked with a top on it!!! My heart sank. I dropped my saw and ran. The tree had missed by two feet and the top was broke, resting on the blade of the skidder. I was PISSED! The kid on the 545 was checking fluids on a flat spot and was on the cell phone. I made it clear that I was pissed and not in this business to be killing idiots like him.

Last edited:
Miller lite is generally my first pick when there is no dark beer around. Guiness and a few micro brews like moose drool are good. I like to chew my beer sometimes. Fishin beer, 30 pack of busch light or it used to be when I'd go with the boys.

I quit the hard drinkin and druggin about seven years now. I'm only 28, but from about 12 through 20 were some rough years. Interesting thing was it was easier for a 15 year old to get a hold of a some weed or blow than booze, go figure on that. With that kind of livin its an everyday, all day kinda thing. I am glad thats all back there now. I still like to get into a 13 pack or so, but its not often and not on the job either. I've got a couple of buddies that were good guys. They couldn't give it up like I did. Now they are just a waste. In and out of prison, just stupid.

Lunchtime is about over, back to the woods. The wind is a howlin and the snow is a flyin! I'm glad I put enough trees on the ground yesterday to skid for the rest of the day.

Blitz , ; How can you go online at lunch ??:dizzy: .
. I get REAL nervous when I have to tap over a tree when there,s alot of snow in it ... It wouldn,t be as bad with live timber , but all I fall here now is snags ... I look em over as good as I can , but it is still nerve wrackin . Have fun , be careful .I gotta go to work now ..

Blitz , ; How can you go online at lunch ??:dizzy: .
. I get REAL nervous when I have to tap over a tree when there,s alot of snow in it ... It wouldn,t be as bad with live timber , but all I fall here now is snags ... I look em over as good as I can , but it is still nerve wrackin . Have fun , be careful .I gotta go to work now ..

This winter I'm working the bosses 250 acres of hardwoods. "Culling," the garbage for lack of a better term. It consists of dead trees, trees that had tops blown out of them, rot in mid-stem, and just ugly stuff all around. Hes got a lot of grade timber and more to come so he wants all of the garbage out. Its usually pretty sketchy stuff. Trees with dead tops and branches that can come out, very difficult to read weight disbursment on the topless ones, and stuff that can be hollow or just plain rotten. There are a lot of surprises. The topless trees have been like that for years so they have like an upside down umbrella of growth that sprawls over new saplings and kind of chokes everything out. Trees range from 50 to 90 feet tall and 10-30+" not huge trees, but the hazards make up for the adrenaline. A sharp eye and ear are needed at all times. I've been snappin pics with my cell phone, but I can't figure out how to get them online yet.

There are a lot of black maples and they will NOT take wedges lately. Too frozen I guess, even the toothed wedges don't want to hold. I have broken 3 or 4 this week on trees that would have gone over just fine in warm weather. I'm trying out new tactics.

I also run a fishing lure business for him and we are coming up on our busy season, so I have to check my email before heading out in the morning and in the afternoon for orders and replys from corporate buyers.

Last edited:
Holy living hell ya'll. Beer is beer. If it gets the job done. Thats all that should count. I bought another 18'er of Coors Original to share. But I'm the only one home. Passed them heading out of the house coming home from work. Anyone hiring for anything logging? I'm willing to uproot and move. Anyone? :givebeer:

Holy living hell ya'll. Beer is beer. If it gets the job done. Thats all that should count. I bought another 18'er of Coors Original to share. But I'm the only one home. Passed them heading out of the house coming home from work. Anyone hiring for anything logging? I'm willing to uproot and move. Anyone? :givebeer:

You could chat with Plikat, his crews are staying plenty busy right now...

Funny thing is I have talked to old man Plikat before. He was looking for a mechanic/saw mech. He wouldn't hire be for one reason. Where I was living and what I was driving.

Hmm, that doesn't sound like him. He offered me a job on a feller/buncher once when I was hand falling, and I've never been on a processor before. It's been my experience that he's pretty down to earth. After all, it was him and one other guy with a small cat, a pickup, and two chainsaws when he first started in 1975.

That was awhile ago JJ. I might just have to call him up again. I have been on a pay freeze for 3 years now. I did get a position raise, but not a pay raise. Go figure. I might have to see what the Fed side of fire is like. Or maybe I will just join the Corps again and get out of Oregon until I retire after 20 years. As it stands, outside of work. I have no friends or life. They all seem to still be stuck in high school with little kid's emotions. How have you been?

Yeah, he might have been having a rough day of it too. I was talking to Ireland one day and things had gone south for him and he was chewing everyone out, even me and I was just some guy bs-ing with his cutter.

Things are good on my side, I'm rolling back to Hotshots this year in California. I understand the pay-freeze thing big time, the county had it when I was there and all the western ODF guys had their salaries frozen for five years. It's a rough deal when your agency's budget is dependent on factors in the local economy.

If it wasn't for "N'Oboma's" stimulis package. I wouldn't have a job right now. Thats the only thing keeping the DFPA-a-float. I want to up and leave. But bills and loans keep me in place. Thats why I'm thinking Unlce Sam might be the choice. 2 paychecks a month and 3 hot meals a day. I would only have 16 years left there. 4 wasnt that hard. Or maybe I should just fall off the face of the earth and depend on myself like I always have. :confused:

Well there's a lot out there for sure...a specialty crew in fire like hotshots, helitack, smokejumpers, etc. will get you more fire in one season than you'd see in three there in south county...you have good experience on your books now and you have a lot of options.

Latest posts

Back