sycamore how's it burn and who burns it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starterlogg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys , I've got some free sycamore " bout 4 trailer loads" is it worth it or am I chasing my tail. And this is the place to ask

I'll Take All of It.

Hey guys , I've got some free sycamore " bout 4 trailer loads" is it worth it or am I chasing my tail. And this is the place to ask
Ship it all to me if you don't want it. I will take all of it today.

Not easy to split, but one of the best burning firewood species that there is and dries in less than a year. If you were closer, I'd come pick up a load immediately.

It's wood, it gives off heat. But.......it would be my last choice, burns like paper, leaves a ton of ash, pain in the azz to split. If there are other options available I would take it first.

Great shoulder season wood, for me. Dries fast and starts easy. I'll throw a few splits in on the coal bed in the AM get my coffee and come back to a quick fire up and some morning heat.
Free is Free!!

I dont keep much around. fast burn coupled with lots of ash turn me off. doesent make good lumber unless quartersawn, when you can find some real pretty stuff. But as firewood, i would take it ony if you think you wont be able to find any other hardwoods.

It's a great "mixer" wood, can't say I'd want four trailer loads of it though. Burns about like Cottonwood, fast and leaves a lot of ash.
Also, it doesn't split as much as it shatters, nasty stuff!

I should have said I do burn it, I do use it for wiener roast. No one will buy it, so that is one way to get rid of it.

No one around here would take it, even with the FREE sign out front. I cut a lot of it this week and hauled 4 trailer loads of the stuff to a burn pile.

As mentioned Free wood is best.It has some down falls but when mixed with other wood it works out good.I wouldnt pass on it.As mentioned it works out great for the shoulder season.in fact thats what I'm using now

I wouldn't turn it down unless I had so much wood that I thought it would rot. If I didn't have a splitter I wouldn't take it unless I didn't have very much wood. It's not the best but free wood is free and beggars can't always be choosers. I'd rather burn it than silver maple.

I can get very high temps with sycamore in my Jotul Castine but the wood is very difficult to process without an aid of a mechanical splitter. If you leave the pieces on the largish side the overall burn times improve markedly to roughly 1- 1.5 hours less than typically of oak.

I agree with most of the others here. If you've got room for it and don't mind splitting it, take it. If it were me, I'd probably just mix it in to keep from having to burn so much of your "good stuff" until it's really needed. That's about what I do with Poplar, especially on the not-so-cold days when we're home and can load the stove every 30 minutes...haha

I agree with most of the others here. If you've got room for it and don't mind splitting it, take it. If it were me, I'd probably just mix it in to keep from having to burn so much of your "good stuff" until it's really needed. That's about what I do with Poplar, especially on the not-so-cold days when we're home and can load the stove every 30 minutes...haha

I agree with the "mixing in", especially if it's not bitterly cold. I tend to get mostly hedge and locust(both varieties), so I need a "temp moderator". I use walnut usually because I get access to alot of that and it works well. But sycamore isn't bad except the splitting.

Great shoulder season wood, for me. Dries fast and starts easy. I'll throw a few splits in on the coal bed in the AM get my coffee and come back to a quick fire up and some morning heat.
Free is Free!!

+1 First wood on in the morning to get the woodstove burning again. Don't use it for overnight burning though if you have other wood.

No One Will Buy It?

I should have said I do burn it, I do use it for wiener roast. No one will buy it, so that is one way to get rid of it.
Good Grief! I sell gobs of it whenever I can find it. Everybody here loves burning sycamore and can't wait to get their hands on it.

Problem is, very few people around here plant sycamore trees, so it's about as scarce as red elm.

Back