Sycamore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone burn sycamore for firewood I’m a wood stove?

I have done. It wouldn't be my first choice as it needs to be well seasoned before it is used. I mixed it with ash and softwoods and it added some bulk to the fire and helped to keep it going for longer. However, I have found it to be a pig to start on its own.

I suspect however that when i used it, it was not well enough seasoned.

European sycamore is different to US, it isn't actually a sycamore, its a maple. European sycamore is ok to burn. I find it splits and dries easily although is not that dense for a hardwood, only marginally denser than a lot of softwoods, but lights easily and burns fine. Seasoned specific density is about 0.55 iirc

I'm currently burning it (Sycamore, American Planetree), just about out of the maybe 3/4 to a cord worth. It was split and stacked to season from for about 6 months and for the most part was acceptably dried. As it's getting colder, I'm finding that it doesn't put out enough energy, so I mix in some oak, walnut, or locust. It doesn't create a lot of coals and makes lots of ashes, but hey, it burns.

It was free for me, my neighbor across the street had one fall in his back yard, so we bucked it and schlepped it up to my place and another neighbor. It was a big tree, probably 34-36" in diameter near the base. The stuff was full of water, had to let the rounds dry for a few months before I could split and even that was a chore. It was so difficult that I had to borrow a hydraulic splitter, and still it was difficult. Had to slab each round because the wedge would cease up trying to drive through the center. Had to do a fair amount of noodling too to be able to lift some of the them.

If I get it already split for free, I'll take it, but otherwise never again. Too much work to process.

The state was clearing the right of way and asked if I wanted some wood. It saved them from hauling it back to their yard so I said sure. There was a mix of elm, maple, hickory, sycamore and poplar. I cut and split it all but the poplar, it went to the burn pile. Sycamore is not so good, but better than poplar.

Well, maybe I'm a snob, but I wouldn't burn it if it was given to me free, seasoned and stacked. That junk gives off so little heat, and by the time you finish burning one stove worth of wood, you have 2 stoves worth of ash.

But then I've got 3-4 years worth of oak now, and a few cords of other hardwoods, plus some silver maple. I can afford to be picky right now.

In fact I have the stem of a huge sycamore about 60 feet away from me right now. I'm going to cut it down and throw it all away, unless I can find someone who might want the trunk. I hear it actually does have some uses in the lumber world, and it doesn't crack and split like many other woods. Someone suggested I make a lot of cookies, finish them and sell them as table tops. Would do that if I had a buyer right now, but I'm not going to waste time hunting for one.

Well I took one down so I was jut wondering. I’m gonna try and saw one of the logs, looks like it would be a pretty grain.

Since I have an owb, I'll burn anything....I don't discriminate when it comes to firewood!

Latest posts

Back