Synthetic Oil and Engine Damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought my first bottle of Stihl HD Ultra. I didn't realize I was buying synthetic at the time but once I got it home (80 miles) I thought I'd give it a try. The first line on the back of the container states "carburetor adjustments may be necessary to avoid engine damage". Someone care to elaborate. Also, can I mix 1/2 ultra and 1/2 conventional oil (to help use it up)?

I've never had to adjust a carb. just from switching oils (witch is something i rarely ever did, plus i'm not an engine tuner either) i've been using Klotz R50 since i was in high racing motocross, never had any probs, so i never neaded a reason to switch. I use it in every two stroke i own. As for mixing oils, i'm not sure. I wouldn't take the chance but i know they make synthetic blend oils too.......... so i guess it's up to you.

stihl ultra

If your running a chainsaw ,Mix the stihl ultra 50:1 like it says and go for it. My understanding is some adjustments may be necessary on the new 4 mix engines.I wouldn,t mix the two oils. I've never read anything that says conventional and synthetic oils in a two stroke application won't mix ,but why take a chance.

Just use it. If your saw was running correctly on your previous oil/gas mix, just use it. I suspect it's just a generic warning that may have more to do with changing to 50:1 than the type of oil.

I just bought my first bottle of Stihl HD Ultra. I didn't realize I was buying synthetic at the time but once I got it home (80 miles) I thought I'd give it a try. The first line on the back of the container states "carburetor adjustments may be necessary to avoid engine damage". Someone care to elaborate. Also, can I mix 1/2 ultra and 1/2 conventional oil (to help use it up)?

I used a tach on my chainsaw before and after switching from stihl orange bottle to stihl ultra.
Both the idle and wot speed increased.
If I remember correctly, wot increase 160 rpms.
So if the chainsaw is at max rpm before you switch, after the switch you would need to richen the carb slightly.

The reason for the increase in rpm was argued about being either increased lubricity(slicker oil) or the new oil burned better leading to faster rpms. I don't think an agreement was reached in that argument.

Run either one, but don't mix the two different oils. They may not be compatible.

I've been having good luck running clam chowder through my saws...they might smoke a little more, but whatever!:chainsaw:

058_NEclamchow.jpg

So if the chainsaw is at max rpm before you switch, after the switch you would need to richen the carb slightly.

That begs a new question-- if the rpm gain is from more effecient lubricosity (find that one in Websters, HA!) can the engine handle the increase without having a seizure?

Last edited:

That begs a new question-- if the rpm gain is from more effecient lubricosity (find that one in Websters, HA!) can the engine handle the increase without having a seizure?

I bet each time you check the rpms it changes the wot readings.
To know for sure you would need to do very well measured controlled tests measuring everything to the ML and taking temp readings.
TIMBERWOLF we need you here lol

Back