Synthetic Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

250R

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to change over to syn. oil. I"ve always run Stihl "dino" oil. What oil should I run in all my saws modded or not?

API tc JASO fc/fd. There are many choices but buy oil that meets high standards. l use semi-synth oil. If dino stihl oil has served you so well for so many years, why change?

I run oil that fullfills the following below, irrelavent of brand name.

1. Fullsynthetic for AIRCOOLED engine
2. Fullfills the following norms: API-TC, ISO-L-EDG or JASO FC/FD

With this criteria you have a good full synthetic oil.

API tc JASO fc/fd. There are many choices but buy oil that meets high standards. l use semi-synth oil. If dino stihl oil has served you so well for so many years, why change?

I have several modified saws. And I run them hard. Even the stock saws I push. I've always had carbon build up on the top of the pistons. Not good. The larger power heads smoke quite a bit and I am sick of breathing in all that smoke especially on stump cuts. I know I run them a tad rich but I have to.

i use this no smoke or stink and decently priced also.
View attachment 353514

Best stuff out there, JW. The thing I find in high performance stuff 2 and 4 cycle is once it wears in, neither synthetic or straight conventional is optimum. Synthetic oil however renowned for its clean burn/fuel stabilization and other benefits is also infamous for less cushioning effect and seeping through seals. Syn is yin and dino is yang. Run a little blend of both and you won't blow any out your yin yang.

I've revived a pile of barn find the size of my truck on that Lucas semi-syn. It is the lowest ash/smoke/odor oil I've found. At $6 per quart? Done deal.

Tip for the gen one diesel tuners, run a couple ounces of it in your tank.

Best stuff out there, JW. The thing I find in high performance stuff 2 and 4 cycle is once it wears in, neither synthetic or straight conventional is optimum. Synthetic oil is renowned for less cushioning effect and infamous for seeping through seals. Syn is yin and dino is yang. Run a little blend of both and you won't blow any out your yin yang.

I've revived a pile of barn find the size of my truck on that Lucas semi-syn. It is the lowest ash/smoke oil I've found. Tip for the gen one diesel tuners, run a couple ounces of it in your tank.

What is JW?
I always put a little 2-cycle oil in my Cummins. When they took the sulfur out of diesel fuel they also took out the lubrication.

Best stuff out there, JW. The thing I find in high performance stuff 2 and 4 cycle is once it wears in, neither synthetic or straight conventional is optimum. Synthetic oil however renowned for its clean burn/fuel stabilization and other benefits is also infamous for less cushioning effect and seeping through seals. Syn is yin and dino is yang. Run a little blend of both and you won't blow any out your yin yang.

I've revived a pile of barn find the size of my truck on that Lucas semi-syn. It is the lowest ash/smoke/odor oil I've found. At $6 per quart? Done deal.

Tip for the gen one diesel tuners, run a couple ounces of it in your tank.
Sorry but this is only myths from the time synthetic oil was widely introduced in the 70-80's. Everyone was affraid of damaging their car with the new stuff. Well engines to day are designed for full synthetic anyhow. If this was incorrect, I would wonder why chainsaw manufacturers would offer a prolonging of their guaranty from 2 to 3 years with the purchase of full synthetic oil...

But I do agree with you on the dino 2 stroke oil adding to the diesel fuel. After I read this article I was convinced.
http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

If you aren't aware of the fact that it cushions the inertia of moving parts less than conventional oil, get your ears checked. If you don't believe it, pour 5W-30 Pennzoil and 5W-30 Royal Purple out of a bottle at the same time and temperature and see which one comes out faster.

Aaah.......Science.....

oil thread? that will be enough of that blasphemy we don't need another pissing match on the forum....... but oh my stepping on toes can get fun :laugh:

lets see i gave 7.99 for a quart of this at the farm store while the echo powerblend cost 2.89 for 2.6 oz seems like a deal to but the only reason i keep it is because i got a lawn boy 2 stroke i burn the oil in it calls for 32:1 so everything gets the same mix. no smoke,stink and the plugs are light brown.

I have several modified saws. And I run them hard. Even the stock saws I push. I've always had carbon build up on the top of the pistons. Not good. The larger power heads smoke quite a bit and I am sick of breathing in all that smoke especially on stump cuts. I know I run them a tad rich but I have to.
some synthetic oils are horrible on the eyes/sinuses...just saying. l dont mind cleaning a spark plug or exhaust port occasionally it does not bother me. Rarely do l ever clean a piston crown but will do if l tear something down. l have looked into synthetic oil and believe the negatives of the oil ( mainly price) far outway the few benifits it has over other options. l do not believe full synthetic is 'better' at all. l use semi synthetic and try to get the best out of both worlds. Ever considered a blend?

I run Amsoil Saber synthetic at 50:1. Buy in bulk, save money vs. buying from the box store. No real rhyme or reason behind it, just what I like to use. I would think most anything is suitable. I know of a Husky 51 that's lived on nothing but 15w40 it's entire life and it still works wonderfully. And no, I don't use Amsoil bar oil LOL

I've been using synthetic oil since the 80's. 7sleeper, you wouldn't get that kind of extended warranty if you were a commercial operator. My warranty from the dealer is six months. Synthetic oil flows better because the molecules are more uniform. It is so slick, it will migrate better than it's conventional cousin. I don't need a myth to tell me it will leak more than dino, I've seen it. If you aren't aware of the fact that it cushions the inertia of moving parts less than conventional oil, get your ears checked. If you don't believe it, pour 5W-30 Pennzoil and 5W-30 Royal Purple out of a bottle at the same time and temperature and see which one comes out faster.

Synthetic blend is the best choice in most engines. I also use full synthetic. Either type is satisfactory.
Of course comercial users always only get 1/2 warrenty. Even here. Because in the half year they cut as much as others in 30 years. But I was speaking about the warrenty extension from Stihl for homeowners.

It would be great if we would stop mixing different engine technologies. A two stroke oil leaking two stroke definately has a major problem.... And any car produced in the last 30 years that leaks because of full synthetic oil was certainly built in the usa.... Sorry but from where I am from I doubt I could even buy pennzoil in my country and I don't even want to think about royal purple.

I run oil that fullfills the following below, irrelavent of brand name.

1. Fullsynthetic for AIRCOOLED engine
2. Fullfills the following norms: API-TC, ISO-L-EDG or JASO FC/FD

With this criteria you have a good full synthetic oil.

Some full-syn is much more benign than others on human lungs, like "Woodland Pro" from Bailey's. Still, don't overdose.
The API thing is totally outdated, so it should be ignored. If oil meets ISO-L-EGD AND JASO FC/FD, it meets the most stringent mfg's specs. Note that Stihl "Ultra" does NOT. Disregard the blather from the ape.

some synthetic oils are horrible on the eyes/sinuses...just saying. l dont mind cleaning a spark plug or exhaust port occasionally it does not bother me. Rarely do l ever clean a piston crown but will do if l tear something down. l have looked into synthetic oil and believe the negatives of the oil ( mainly price) far outway the few benifits it has over other options. l do not believe full synthetic is 'better' at all. l use semi synthetic and try to get the best out of both worlds. Ever considered a blend?

I've run both in other 2 strokes. What I was planning on doing was mixing my Stihl dino and a full synthetic 50/50. Unforunatly I just bought 2 cases of Stihl gallon bottles so I need to use it up. So I'll be buying a full synthetic for now and when my dino is gone will use a semi syn oil there after.

Any one use a full syn oil at a resonable price? I need to get some.

Latest posts

Back