Taking tree's down around the house & out buildings. Why not use a winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bore cut from the front right into the heart on those trees I think might barber chair. Chain location doesn't matter much with those small tree's , I could have pulled them over w/o even cutting, roots and all. But where is the fun in that?

BTW one reason you don't want to go too high with the chain location on smaller stuff or bigger trees is now you start lifting the pulling vehicle. With that winch and 10k lbs tractor on those tree's a non issue. But if those were like the ones Iog ( 24/28 in dia hard maples ) and u go up 15 or 20 ft, the "angle" of that cable begins to matter. I've seen guys put a truck on the job like that have some fool climb and set the tow rope go forward and wonder why they lose traction :)

AND u are right on the barber chair, that's where experience and knowing your trees plays. TOO much hinge will barber chair almost anything. Too little and the hinge may tear and you loose the control. Of course when I'm logging I shoot for the least amount of hinge I can get away with to minimize pulls and barber chairs. And last point on barber chairs. With the winch, it is like with the "trigger" concept logging, be away from the tree when it goes. Someone who hangs around that tree cutting while some one pushes the button or hangs around AND pushes the button prolly shouldn't be allowed to run heavy equipment.

Latest posts

Back