talk me out of a top handle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a bigish saw big enough to handle anything around here. Jred 2166
I have a medium saw Jred 2255

but I keep picking up the little top handles thinking it would be nice to have a very light saw 6-7 pounds for the small stuff limbs and trimming.

why should I not get a top handle , this should actually be interesting you all tend to be a bunch of enablers.

my only concern is that I might be tempted to start climbing trees again and in my 40s maybe I should stay out of trees I may be a very nimble 280 pound man but 280 and in a tree with a saw and over 40 might not be my best idea ever

my only concern is that I might be tempted to start climbing trees again and in my 40s maybe I should stay out of trees I may be a very nimble 280 pound man but 280 and in a tree with a saw and over 40 might not be my best idea ever

Two words of wisdom. Ground pounder:surprised3: Just teasing. Suit yourself but I'd stay on terra firma!

I love my little old fasion top handle style saw. 009 Stihl. Awesome limbing saw that also gets a "firewood buddy" attached to mark out lengths for bucking. Actually I end up using this little saw for way more than I had anticipated. Am I helping? ;)

I always thought a rear handle ms200 would be handy. I think it was 7.7 lbs, but the price kept me away. My ms250 is about 10 lbs and not a pro saw, but it’s still light and nimble, at around half the price that the 200 was at the time.

I have a 192t and I love it. It is a lot lighter than my 029 and my back likes it. I have no problems cutting oak up to 6-8 inches. I keep my 029 for the larger rounds.

Ah, the 192T. Great saw and I loved it. Too bad that it grew legs one night. Bought a 193T expecting the same. Nope. Pulls like a huge saw. I put uip with it for 3 years and ended up with a Husky top handle. My and my buddy were at a good Stihl dealer the other day and asked why that 193T was so hard to start. Answer. It was designed to have the 'easy-start' system (spring wound by pulling cord SLOWLY). Didn't work as the users wouild yank on them like a fegular saw and that would wreck the system. He also said that the 193T could probably be converted back to the 'easy start'.

I sure do wish that I had known that when I traded in the Stihl for the Husky. The Huskiy is a nice top handle but it wouldn't cut with the 193.

I have a bigish saw big enough to handle anything around here. Jred 2166
I have a medium saw Jred 2255

but I keep picking up the little top handles thinking it would be nice to have a very light saw 6-7 pounds for the small stuff limbs and trimming.

why should I not get a top handle , this should actually be interesting you all tend to be a bunch of enablers.

Get one. Idt will become one of your most used saws and will be one of the last ones you would be willing to let go. For limbing and cutting small gauge stuff it outshines any regular saw in ease and speed of working.

There is some concern about safety however.

Perhaps the $500 you need to spend on a top handle Stihl 200T or even more for the 201T will talk you out of one all by itself. They are by far the most overpriced chain saws that have ever been built. That's MHO.

No need dto spend big bucks on a top-handle. The 193T sells out the door in the $360 range. Use one once and you'll never go back.

for you an echo CS-271t and you can have it for the bargain basement price of 500 dollars plus actual shipping I think you will find it looks just like new ;)
Guess I won't be talking you out of any saws today :).
But with the current lineup you have the rear handled 192/3 would be a good saw.
The 201cm is a great saw, but you'll pay about double for it and it weighs about a pound more. You can open the muffler up a bit and advance the timing and they run well for their size.
I recommend the rear handle over the top handle for safety reasons, you can also reach higher with the rear handled saws, but I'm not recommending that :cool:.
I've ran 10tanks thru my little 201cm rear handle in the last week, wouldn't want anything else for the job. I've got plenty of top handles I could use, but they aren't the right saw for the job to me, cutting autumn olive that's overgrown. I ran my 241 out there one day because I was exhausted :cry::oops:, I didn't forget my baby saw the next trip there.

Latest posts

Back