Tanaka chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toro Tanaka was a studio wrestler when I was a kid in the seventys. I saw him wrestle Bruno Samartino when I was real young.

Kidding aside Tanaka saws are hard to find around these parts. Even the Tanaka dealers don't carry them. There weedbeaters and hedge clippers seem to sell pretty well though. I almost bought a Tanaka leaf blower, until I found out it was a fixed jet carb. I think they are coming out with a consumer line of machines and making them green and calling them Hitachi.

I think for that money in USA you get 346 XP
330x1.56 (not sure though)
newman! same thing in Romania

If memory serves, some of the Tanaka models are made in China, but not the one that is the topic here.....

Nah defo not it's got Made in Japan all over it, yet I saw a thread about some chinese made Tanakas, I'll make sure to stay away.

I think for that money in USA you get 346 XP

No it nears to £400 here, I'm not really a Husqvarna man myself though I can't deny they make good saws.

Anyway I was cutting some trees down and logging with it today, it's got quite a nice bit of power and you don't feel the vibration. Had a spot of bother when a tree pinched the chain quite hard because I didn't make a relief cut, how stupid of me D:

I'm gonna be using it till at least Sunday, we'll see what it's capable of and I'll charge my camera up to get a video of it in action, it'll cut through a 5" hawthorne log in about 3 seconds.

Oregon Doubleguard .325" bar/chain, is that any good or is it cheap stuff?

Toro Tanaka was a studio wrestler when I was a kid in the seventys. I saw him wrestle Bruno Samartino when I was real young.

I have an autographed 8x10 of Bruno when he was in Youngstown when i was a kid in the early 60's...Bob

Oregon Doubleguard .325" bar/chain, is that any good or is it cheap stuff?

The bar looks like it is one of the cheaper Oregons, and the chain most likely is the ill-reputed 33SL safety chain, based on the info and pics that is posted on the site.

It isn't pure junk though, but about what you could expect.

Gotcha, seems to cut well enough at the moment but when I get a new bar/chain what would you reccomend?

Never really looked into these saws before, but looking at their pricing (on Bailey's) they seem pretty high. $723 + shipping for a 50cc saw, am I missing something? Are you paying for the 7/2 year warranty?:confused:

I've got local dealer support, It's much cheaper than the equiv Stihl and much easier to get hold of than a Shindaiwa. It's a decent saw it's well built and solid, also it's performance is rather good.

Also the warranties quite nice, but I can fix the saws myself I know how they work/how to repair and I've got all the tools nessicary.

Hope to be a Mechanic soon so best to start out on smaller stuff imo

I've got local dealer support, It's much cheaper than the equiv Stihl and much easier to get hold of than a Shindaiwa. It's a decent saw it's well built and solid, also it's performance is rather good.

Also the warranties quite nice, but I can fix the saws myself I know how they work/how to repair and I've got all the tools nessicary.

The price picture obviously is different in the UK, compared to the US.

Yeah as far as I see Stihl's are considerably cheaper in the US, I was gonna get a Stihl MS 240 but this appealed much more in terms of cost, I'm aware the MS 240 is decent and it produces more power, I'd probably get it when my Mum isn't managing all my money, that's teenage life for ya ;)

I am just looking at the price here. $225.00 over a stihl or husky, i can't really see performance making up that difference, just wondering if someone is seeing better pricing on the east coast or what the deal is???

The price picture obviously is different in the UK, compared to the US.

I did just look and saw Northern sells them for about $600 which is starting to get in the same ballpark at least. This brand hasn't been in the U.S. that long has it? If not, you would think they would try to undercut the competition to build some rep first.

I did just look and saw Northern sells them for about $600 which is starting to get in the same ballpark at least. This brand hasn't been in the U.S. that long has it? If not, you would think they would try to undercut the competition to build some rep first.

I'd agree with that, it's weird how they're more in the US yet cheaper in the UK and perhaps parts of Europe as well...

I always had the impression Japanese compaines like Shindaiwa and Tanaka would establish thier brands better in the US where there is more demand for such machines.

EDIT: Or maybe it's that Stihl are less established in the UK that it's more economically feasable to buy a Tanaka, also lightweight of the Tanaka was one of the reasons for buying.

Last edited:
Tanaka Power Equipment

Tanaka was purchased out of bankruptcy by Hitachi a couple of years ago. All of their new line of products are built in a Hitachi factory in China. The prices are coming down-But also the quality is too. IMHO ALL of the Japanese built stuff is top of the line quality, but it is way overpriced to be competitive in the US market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiNyuEAER4

I'm aware I'm not doing it right, I'm still working on building a decent saw horse. Also are Oregon's cheaper safety boots any good?

Anyway, the saw is great, it's powerful enough and it cuts really fast. Are Oregon Pro-Lite bars any good for when the time comes to get a replacement bar/chain?

Latest posts

Back