Tandem falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not something that can be used with every tree

but I have done it on occasion, when the log and the tree make it feasible. Leave the buttress holding the tree from setting down on the bar when you bore it, then cut the buttresses straight down, leaving the one on the fall side partly attached.

We used to cut some walnut with good buttresses high and dig the stumps to sell to gun stock makers for more than veneer logs.

Last edited:
Riddle me this, hardwood veneer guys: would you really sacrifice a handful of board-feet on the butt log for the volume in the whole rest of the tree? If you just cut a stump with a good face and good holding wood, you can put it where you want it with minimum waste over the whole tree, versus saving MAYBE a few bf per stump, when you consider that ~13 1/2 inches diameter = 1 bf. Let's assume $1000/Mbf. A Humboldt on a 12" high stump (from high side ground level) gives you more than adequate control and on a 24" tree will account for no more than 40 bf. Why risk losing all of the secondary product value over 40 bucks? Good falling practices just make sense. Maximizing veneer volume at the expense of all other utilization seems short-sighted and wasteful to me.

Any tree I would use this way of dropping would have NO risk of loosing any value. And why would I be harvesting a walnut as small as 24"?

There are only two people that I trusted enough to fall trees in close proximity, well one of them is dead, so one is left.

As for no facecut falling...

I was kinda hoping for some pics of two guys one tree, one making the sloping cut one the gun cut, or one guy making the face while the other started backing it up... dangerous as Hel but should be entertaining...

New reality tv show STUNT LOGGERS, if you die first we're taking yer saw...

Stump jumping IS pulling wood. That's all it can do. I use such methods on wood trees all the time just for kicks and that's all it does is pull wood and bust trees. My first boss cut this way.. use a real face, get some directional control, be a better cutter!

I was kinda hoping for some pics of two guys one tree, one making the sloping cut one the gun cut, or one guy making the face while the other started backing it up... dangerous as Hel but should be entertaining...

New reality tv show STUNT LOGGERS, if you die first we're taking yer saw...

with a couple of 15" bars, but that would be boring

My power was hit last night and now I have to re-load the vid. Part of me doesn't even want to show it. I can't believe I am getting so much flack. I would never nor have I ever suggested either of these two types of cutting.

That guy doing that 3 point bore seemed to me to be riddiculous and just a way of showing off. The tree had no real pressure on it...a normal notch could have dropped it with no problem...and the time he spent on it, well crap I dropped and limbed 2 trees.

As far as that knuckle dragging redneck white trash deal I do for super bad head leaners...well...I'm sorry but it works for everyone that I know that uses it. I don't know but I don't see how there is much control on a leaner hanging out 30+ft from the stump, what are you going to do with it other than let it hit the ground the way it wants to...straight down. You spend too much time on it and it is going to split...I just go in there, cut it;s heart out leaving a bit of holding wood in the front and a trigger on the back. So being that no one on here apparently uses it, can I name it??? How about the "Kiss of death bore cut"...spooky sounding huh? This cut only gets used for bad head leaners period, depending on what I am cutting, it really doesn't get used much unless there are alot of leaners.

I'm sorry that this fricken post turned the way it did...I was excited that I got to cut right beside someone...that's it...

Gologit- Sir, being I have up most respect for you and the other cutters on here...should I even show the vid?? I mean I am not at all saying this is a great practice...Hell I didn't even know it was dangerous, I would feel horrible if someone this and thinks I am giving a demo and they go and try it and get smashed! It's whatever you say Sir. The intent of this post was NEVER intended to become what it has...I just had seen a cut (3 point bore) that looked fancy and it was well executed and I just wanted to write about my day, that's it. My apologies if I have stepped out of line by even speaking of such a cut.

tornado warning is over...I'm going back to the woods

Last edited:
My power was hit last night and now I have to re-load the vid. Part of me doesn't even want to show it. I can't believe I am getting so much flack. I would never nor have I ever suggested either of these two types of cutting.

That guy doing that 3 point bore seemed to me to be riddiculous and just a way of showing off. The tree had no real pressure on it...a normal notch could have dropped it with no problem...and the time he spent on it, well crap I dropped and limbed 2 trees.

As far as that knuckle dragging redneck white trash deal I do for super bad head leaners...well...I'm sorry but it works for everyone that I know that uses it. I don't know but I don't see how there is much control on a leaner hanging out 30+ft from the stump, what are you going to do with it other than let it hit the ground the way it wants to...straight down. You spend too much time on it and it is going to split...I just go in there, cut it;s heart out leaving a bit of holding wood in the front and a trigger on the back. So being that no one on here apparently uses it, can I name it??? How about the "Kiss of death bore cut"...spooky sounding huh? This cut only gets used for bad head leaners period, depending on what I am cutting, it really doesn't get used much unless there are alot of leaners.

I'm sorry that this fricken post turned the way it did...I was excited that I got to cut right beside someone...that's it...

Gologit- Sir, being I have up most respect for you and the other cutters on here...should I even show the vid?? I mean I am not at all saying this is a great practice...Hell I didn't even know it was dangerous, I would feel horrible if someone this and thinks I am giving a demo and they go and try it and get smashed! It's whatever you say Sir. The intent of this post was NEVER intended to become what it has...I just had seen a cut (3 point bore) that looked fancy and it was well executed and I just wanted to write about my day, that's it. My apologies if I have stepped out of line by even speaking of such a cut.

tornado warning is over...I'm going back to the woods

Go ahead and post the video. I've stayed out of this so far but I'm curious about it too. When you post the video you might include an explanation of exactly what it is, exactly why it's used and under what circumstances, what the desired results are and whether they were achieved by using that particular cut.

There are different methods of cutting and there are probably quite a few I haven't heard of or seen. You describe things well but a video will help all of us to better understand what you're talking about.

As far as getting flak...that goes with the territory. Guys who fall trees for a living tend to be opinionated but that's not always a bad thing. Most of us have seen guys get hurt or killed in the woods and anything that seems unnecessarily dangerous tends to pull our focus. We're not shy about mentioning it either. It's not a personal attack.

Post the video. Take the flak for what it is...concern for good falling practices and your safety.

And quit calling me Sir! I feel old enough already. :laugh:

I called the skidder operator sir once, and he told me that if I called him sir again we'd be rolling in the dirt cause them theres fightin words...didnt quite understand it at first. I changed jobs, I said yes sir to a guy at the new job, and he freaked out, told me that we weren't sirs, just regular working folk, noone around here is that special to call sir, but if you go into the office, everyone there is sir and mam. Post up that vid ya got there twochains, only thing it can do is spark more conversing over this here internet

Riddle me this, hardwood veneer guys: would you really sacrifice a handful of board-feet on the butt log for the volume in the whole rest of the tree? If you just cut a stump with a good face and good holding wood, you can put it where you want it with minimum waste over the whole tree, versus saving MAYBE a few bf per stump, when you consider that ~13 1/2 inches diameter = 1 bf. Let's assume $1000/Mbf. A Humboldt on a 12" high stump (from high side ground level) gives you more than adequate control and on a 24" tree will account for no more than 40 bf. Why risk losing all of the secondary product value over 40 bucks? Good falling practices just make sense. Maximizing veneer volume at the expense of all other utilization seems short-sighted and wasteful to me.

my boss told me that any stump i make can be no higher than 4" off the ground. Got me wondering what to do with ones on steep hills where if I cut it 4" from the ground on the high side, it'd be ya know quite a bit higher off the ground on the low side. I got put in that situation a few times and I cut it 4" off the ground on the high side and it was prolly 14" off the ground on the low side, he freaked out! saying that all of his money is in the stump. He likes you to cut the tiniest conventional notch possible, then bore out the heart going in from one side, then bore in from the other side, which makes it really hard to line up your cuts, and then walk em to the back and leave a little trigger in the back. It takes so dang long doing it that way. especially with hickory, but if you get caught not boring a tree you get in deep trouble. got really old after awhile, spending so much time at the stump boring. I am not a fan of bore cutting. I don't see why I cant just throw in a humboldt notch, he got pisssssssed one day when he seen me doing a humboldt notch. I did it because I needed to do a sizwheel to get it where it needed to be. It worked great, but he was pissed because the stump was too high for his likings. It was about a foot off the ground, maybe a bakers foot.

my boss told me that any stump i make can be no higher than 4" off the ground. Got me wondering what to do with ones on steep hills where if I cut it 4" from the ground on the high side, it'd be ya know quite a bit higher off the ground on the low side. I got put in that situation a few times and I cut it 4" off the ground on the high side and it was prolly 14" off the ground on the low side, he freaked out! saying that all of his money is in the stump. He likes you to cut the tiniest conventional notch possible, then bore out the heart going in from one side, then bore in from the other side, which makes it really hard to line up your cuts, and then walk em to the back and leave a little trigger in the back. It takes so dang long doing it that way. especially with hickory, but if you get caught not boring a tree you get in deep trouble. got really old after awhile, spending so much time at the stump boring. I am not a fan of bore cutting. I don't see why I cant just throw in a humboldt notch, he got pisssssssed one day when he seen me doing a humboldt notch. I did it because I needed to do a sizwheel to get it where it needed to be. It worked great, but he was pissed because the stump was too high for his likings. It was about a foot off the ground, maybe a bakers foot.

I'd be packin my gear home every day that's for sure.

I would tell that guy to stuff it. Do what is safe. I personally have not cut much on hillsides. But I have helped a few of the old timers and they do exacvtly what you do 4" on the high side and about 14" on the low side. One tree I watched a guy cut leaned hard up hill. Myself I would never have cut it for fear of it sliding down and the top taking me with it lol. But the old timer did it, he laid it off to the side so as to not get struck. I'll cut in hill side roads with my dozer all day long and be just fine. But as a faller....I will stick to flatter ground. Inexperience can quickly lead to death.

Latest posts

Back