TCI Drop-crotching article

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Arborists, if you read TCI's November issue, it raises questions about proper pruning. Here is an open letter to the author. What do YOU think?

I've been a longtime supporter of PlantAmnesty even though I'm on the Right Coast. Your approaches to restoring damaged shrubs are gospel for me. When I saw the title of your TCI article, I thought, "Great! More support for my May 2003 TCI article against severe drop-crotching!"

Boy was I surprised. You dismissed heading cuts without reason and decried the decisions others make for lack of data while offering no data to support your own case. I strongly agree with you that Risk Assessments should be the arborist's #1 job. (Calling them Hazard Evaluations needlessly forces many tree removals, since retaining anything termed a hazard creates a liability problem. The "Hazard Tree" term is a black-and-white approach, ignoring the wide gray area that many trees live in.) I also disagree with:

1. Follow-up care being unlikely. After crown reduction, this arborist gets a signed contract from the tree owner stating that followup pruning will be done. A town or company can similarly budget and contract for followup care. Not as many arborists are fly-by-nighters as you imply; few tree owners are likely to move away in the 3 year period when the first, most critical, followup pruning takes place. Calling for the removal of trees that can be responsibly managed with followup care is not plant amnesty.

2. Crown reduction having no scientific basis. Tree Statics studies provide much data showing that shorter trees with lighter crowns stand stronger. Simple physics indicates the same. I share your belief that biology must be considered too, but a lot of biological evidence and real-life case studies show that trees respond favorably to crown reduction. More science behind crown reduction and selective heading cuts should be demonstrated soon in another publication.

3. The Demands of Dignity. Everyone has a different view at different times of what constitutes a dignified-looking tree. The photo on page 9 shows a severely reduced tree. Done merely as a fear-reducing preventive treatment, it appears extreme. Done after storm damage, it may be proper. Seen without foliage right after pruning, it looks unnatural, even ugly. Seen after three seasons of growth and a thinning of sprouts, it may have sealed wounds and stout new branches and look great. Years later it may even look dignified! So Dignity is not only in the eye of the beholder, but in the conditions driving the treatment and in the time of the beholding.

Above all, I agree with you that deep drop-crotching often creates more problems than it solves. There is more than one way to prune a tree, and given the variability of these diverse biological organisms there will never be enough hard data to guide our every move. I believe the first rule of an amnesty on trees should be to let them live unless there is a very good reason to kill them.

I recieved my TCI Mag yesterday and read Cass Turnbull's article last night.. I thought that the article contained a number of good points but that it was swinging a tad far in the 'no science, don't do it' direction. In fairness though I think Mr. Turnbull is trying to approach things pretty reasonably. His analysis of dropcrotching as the 'next worst thing' to topping coincides with my own in most cases. Storm damage is a different animal than selling an operation on healthy trees. Prior To Storm, Damage Mitigation is something else again but I think that in most cases it is best accomplished by tip reduction rather than the larger cuts which Turnbull applies the dropcrotching term to.

Overall, it seems that we are dividing into two camps at least in part because of the human tendency to defend our beliefs and actions and overstate things while doing so. I'm not so sure that Guy and Cass differ very much in their approach to tree care. There is however a gap between the points where they each draw their respective lines. The area where one will tread but not the other makes for a place of contention.

Originally posted by Stumper
I thought that the article contained a number of good points but that it was swinging a tad far in the 'no science, don't do it' direction.
Bingo.
I'm not so sure that Guy and Cass differ very much in their approach to tree care.
We definitely agree on most things; I'm a huge fan. Cass btw is a woman and imo THE shrub maintenance authority in the universe. Shrubs being woody plants I respect her views on tree care.
There is however a gap between the points where they each draw their respective lines. The area where one will tread but not the other makes for a place of contention.
Yeah we draw lines but we have erasers too and (speaking for her but I think it's ok) aren't afraid to change our minds. Contention is good for growing our knowledge and understanding, as folks on this site well know.:D

My apologies to Ms./Mrs. Turnbull! BTW her recent article about fruit tree pruning did an excellent job of explaining what I term "compromise pruning". Most of my customers really appreciate having an Apple that looks nice AND bears well.

Guy, Keep making us think!:cool:

It was bound to happen .....and a few of you are just now realizing the impact of having a banner leader with no practical experience lead a campaign.

Cass simply takes an 'idea' and becomes a loud speaker with one point or two.

Unfortunately, her "No topping at all" is unrealistic in the arboricultural world. Topping is a tool which should be used by an arborist to prevent sites of highly sensitive erosion, while establishing new trees.

Yes, some points in the article were creditable. But the 'point of authority' tone she uses obviously cost her creditablilty when her lack of experience and complete knowledge becomes observable through such articles.

An article in a arborist trade magazine may only be offensive or possibly taken as law by an inexperienced arborist.

But this article is probably already be circulated with her other brochures. Thus, the old adage "one with know experience and little knowledge can be dangerous".

Cass's desire is good. But possibly her ego or her informant is not very knowledgeable in arboriculture.

I thought it was a great article with some very valid points that we should all pay attention to. Some room to poke holes and throw stones, but when isn't there?

Back