TCI in Baltimore-merged threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can I help any Arboristsiters with TCI in Baltimore in the Fall?

Just by sheer coincidence, the TCI Expo is being held in November in my home town, Baltimore Maryland. I don't know how many folks plan to travel from out of town for this event, but I wonder if I could be of assistance to anyone. Being here in town now, along with what I've learned from living here for the last 30 years, might add up to being able to do something that might take someone not familiar with the area a long time by long-distance call.

Some of the ideas of things I might be able to do include:

1. JPS suggested in a private email checking the hotel and motel listings on Hotwire.com and reporting on which ones were in neighborhoods that are safe(r). I'll go ahead and do this. I don't know if many folks would fly in and not rent a vehicle, but I could also report on lodging near the Metro and Light Rail systems.

2. Investigate a recreational climb. Oddly enough, I have two contacts in the city forestry department that I could work with, possibly.

3. Thought I heard mention of service projects that are sometimes done in conjunction with expos and shows. If this was of interest, I could start some investigation.

4. Don't know if publicity with #2 or 3 would be desirable, but it might be good for the industry if print, radio or TV reporters could participate. I could start that ball rolling.

5. Arrange for a bar or resturant or a meeting hall we could get together in.

If these types of things are already done by the folks running the Expo, let me know and I'll keep out of the way.

These were just some of the ideas I came up with off of the top of my head. If anyone can think of any others, or if you like any of my ideas and think I should get started, let me know.

-Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for stepping up. It's always nice to have a local on point.

For several of the last TCI expos, several people have gotten together on Saturday afternoon for a climb. Nothing connected with TCI, TCIA/NAA or any other organization. Just a friendly, casual, professional climb. One year we had things all planned out and a wet blanket got thrown on by an entity that had only a tangential involvement. A case of the white shirts ruining things for the green shirts. GRRRRR!!!

I would like to work with you to make this event come to Baltimore. I have some ideas that I could discuss with you. Drop me a note, off forum.

How about starting a head count of AS'ers who are going to TCI.

I'll start counting off:

ONE!

Tom

That's great!!

See what happens when you volunteer...... :eek:

It would be great to have a little get together sometime during the show. Nothing like those Maryland Phillips crabcakes at the Inner Harbor!

Pete

Kevin,
Thank you for volunteering your time. I have received word that I will again be one of many manning our (Sherrill) booth. You'll find me working a register again, I'm sure. Please keep me informed of the AS plans, as I'd love to partake in some of the meeting and greeting. As for the rec climb, please also keep me informed of that as well.

We've already started preparing. They had the carpets unrolled today for vaccuuming. Wood chips everywhere (thanks Arborwear booth :) ).

See you guys there. I'd tell you where our booth is, but there's no way you could miss it. Just follow the sounds of me cursing at the computer.:D

-Sean

looking like i'll be there, too!

I'd love to swing around in the tree's with some AS-er's. keep us updated!

love
nick

I will be there. I think mikecross23 is going to, he said his computer is out of wack and has not visited AS in a while.

I thought about driving but looks like the jet bird will workout better.

I'll be the guy with the yellow smiley painted on my face. Can't miss me.

Does anyone from the midwest want me to see if there are any cheap group rates on a flight. I would check several airports including Madison both Chi loactions and MKE.

Madison loos to be the best for a central location if a good number of us from all over want to try it out.

If a bunch (three or more) come in on a flight together, I'd be happy to do what I can from this end, meet you all, check out van rentals, etc.

Most of the time, they're more expensive, but keep in mind that Regan National (used to be just National, abbreviation DCA) and Dulles (IAD) are an easy drive from Baltimore.

-Kevin

TCI

If any plans are made to fly into the DC area I'll also be available for transport
I'm only 1 mile from DCA and not too far from Dulles. Be glad to help out in any way, see ya at the expo.

Rec climb at TCI in Baltimore

I started gathering information regarding a recreational tree climb around the TCI expo in Baltimore in November. I spoke with the City Forester about climbing in the city parks. He was extreemly helpful and enthusiastic. One site he mentioned, Druid Hill Park, was the site of the ISA 2000 Jamboree, which he worked on.

At one point, he mentioned that he had no problems with "certified arborists" climbing, and mentioned release forms that we'd need to sign. I asked about non-certified arborists and recreational climbers. He had some hesitations about that, and said he'd need to pass it by the City's legal department. He asked if we'd done this before, I said we had (but was just guessing), and he asked if anyone had any contacts in other cities where climbing by non-certified arborists was done, so that he could talk with them. This is request #1, if you have a contact like this, you can email me privately at [email protected].

This got me thinking I might be on the wrong track. Some searching on this archive seemed to turn up two types of recreational climbs: sanctioned, with permissions, signed release forms and a higher public profile, and "ninja" climbs, word-of-mouth publicity, looser rules (is beer taboo? No saws or chippers involved.) with "Plausible Deniability."

Is this an "either/or" situation? Which kind were most folks up for? If folks want a ninja climb, what should I look for? Private property, local, state, national forest? Access? Tree species, height? View, nice surroundings?

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

-Kevin

REC climb

Kevin,

If they shoot down the climb there I might be able to contact a few people in Alexandria that I've done rec climbs with before. I also know a good state park off of route 5 in southern MD that is very low key and has some awesome trees. Nice 100ft plus Tulip poplars, lots of oaks, and a huge beech, wich is a monster. The trees are all off of trails that go for a few miles and loop back to the original starting point, I've never had any problems climbing there and its a nice area to get together. It would be alittle distance to drive but its a possability, just see what people are up for and go from there. If you have any ? just drop me a line.

RockyJ, you might be right about theCity Forester, but he didn't seem that way to me. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for right now. He does have a successful track record of working with the ISA 2000 Jamboree, but that might be a wholly different event.

I'm not worried about him stopping by and stopping us; I'm worried about the guys in the blue uniforms with the guns and badges. Druid Hill Park is one of Baltimore's most used parks, and is constantly patrolled by police. I don't know if they would just ask us to stop, or if there's a city ordinance prohibiting tree climbing, that we could be fined for.

On the other hand, I bet if we made it look real official, everyone would just drive by, assuming that someone else had approved it. I've always thought that the way to get away with anything is to do it in broad daylight and look like you're supposed to be doing it. This might lessen the risk of a fine, but wouldn't make it go away.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Kevin

Have spent many a night in the Baltimore/BWI area.
Will be attending the show also.
Lots of places to stay depending on:
>What you want to spend,
>Plannig to rent a car,
>Want to stay close to the show,
>Like taking a commuter rail (easy & cheap),
>How long you want to stay.

I'll try to help provide helping info for anyone who's comming.

expo info

Thank you Sawman.

I'm looking for something less than the $135 rate per night; maybe more like $75 or so if that is possible. I remeber last year, the hotels adjoining the conference center wanted in the $125 range, and HoJo's 4 blocks away I paid something like $50. That was Milwaukee, but hey, I'm a tree guy and $135 is too much.

If you'd like, you can e-mail me information. Sooner the better, as I need to linie up the flight and care for my boys.

Thanks again.

Gopher

Kevinz, Thank you for offering to help! Being a 'native' should certainly make things smoother, and more enjoyable.
I'll be attending via helping some of the exibitors, but I'll try to give you whatever assistance you need.

Here's some tips for attendees &, those in the 'I'm still thinking about it" mode.

Business & Education related expense(s), are able to qualify as a credit(s) on income taxes. So, for every $100 you spend you're actually only spending$70-80 if you file for it on your taxes.
If you bring someone (wife?) who is involved in the business, and they attend a meeting(s), they're expenses are also deductable.
Check with an accountant for your exact deductions-credits.

Try a Google search on TCI Expo (Baltimore). There is alot info on the show, related links, events, local visting spots -like the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Baltimore Aquarium, etc.
Kevinz can be the expert local tour guide. vote for him.

Register early for discounted rates.

Search on web site for discount rates & packages. I use a few all the time and really save $$$.
After checking the discount web site, CHECK the hotel web site, or call them. Often they have different-better packages for less $ or the same rate.
Examples, Wife and I stayed two days at a Holiday Inn, for the same web sites discount rate, got Free breakfast buffet (not Contintental sytle), and one Free drink each for the same price. Saved us $30.
At last Louisville Expo, got a $130 room for $65.
Little work can save big $ when you add them up.

Don't stay to far away, if the hotel doesn't have a free shuttle, unless your renting a car. Taxi cabs can eat up anything and more,.....you thought you saved.

Check with some of your suppliers for anything they might be able to get. Now most of them will have to ask their suppliers. It's a chain we have to go thru, but if you got a Free admission, or ticket-pass to a show, a meal, etc., it's all a savings, and adds up.
You have to ask to get.

Don't forget, there are show specials at only the show that can save you $$$ & shopping time. More savings.

Kevinz can definately help with info on public transportation, local events, etc. There is alot there.
Besides, isn't he hosting the party, or is that parties??

Hotels TCI Baltimore

Here's my first attempt to get some information on hotels for anyone coming to TCI in Baltimore November 13-15, 2003.

I went to www.hotels.com and put in Baltimore, starting on Nov. 12, three night stay, one adult, and got four usable hotels under $100 per night average.

Hampton Inn Hunt Valley $80/night -- Really far out of town, about 10-12 miles north of city center. However, it's the last stop on the Light Rail, which would drop you off at the door of the Convention Center. I'll have to investigate the hours it runs and what it costs. Walk from the Inn to the Light Rail Station about one long block.

Mt. Vernon Hotel $100/night -- City hotel about 1.5-2 miles from Convention Center. Pretty neighborhood, historic, but can be funky (reportedly most popular pick-up location for gay men in city). Don't know anything about the hotel itself; it's not a chain. Good bus run to Convention Center, not close to Light Rail or Metro.

Inn at the Stadium $90/night -- Don't know this hotel personally, either. Located about a mile from the Convention Center; long walk or bus ride, no Light Rail or Metro nearby.

Best Western Baltimore $75/night -- I think this one's out of downtown (out of easy walking distance) too, but their ad has a free shuttle to the Inner Harbor, which means it ends within a block of the Convention Center.

I'll keep posting to this thread as I learn more. www.orbitz was down a few minutes ago. If you find any hotels and want them checked out, let me know.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back