TCI in Baltimore-merged threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More hotels through Orbitz

Orbitz, (www.orbitz.com) my favorite travel website, came back up. They list these hotels available during TCI for under $100/night:

Days Inn West/Security Blvd. $51/night -- 7 miles west of Convention Center (CC), but on a major bus line. Probably about a 30-40 minute bus ride, though. In an industrial area, with the Social Security Administration Headquarters, with not much within walking distance.

Ramada Inn Towson $60/night -- 8 miles north of CC. Towson is a major suburb of Baltimore, and has it's own resturants, shops and malls. Unfortunately, the motel is about a mile from the center of Towson. City bus commute may require a transfer, may be longer than a half hour. No Metro or Light Rail.

Days Inn Towson (Deerco Road) $67 -- 12 miles north of CC, but a block or two from the Light Rail. (About 3 blocks from REI, where I buy climbing gear). In an industrial park, but a new buidling, and convenient location. I had relatives stay here for my wedding. Long walk to Maryland State Fairgrounds and lots of shops; some chain resturants closer.

Holiday Inn Express Caton Ave $69 -- 3.2 miles SW of CC. Should be a convenient location with bus routes, but I can't picture it in my mind. I'll try to look it up.

Embassy Suites Hotel Hunt Valley $99 -- Located near Hampton Inn, so close to last stop of Light Rail. Boasts two-room suites, breakfasts, pool, health club.

If I didn't mention something like "breakfast" for a hotel, it doesn't mean that they DON'T have it. I didn't look up the details on each hotel. Orbitz will have the details, though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Kevin

I ran NOV 12-16 through HotWire.com and got a $42 *** hotel in Glen Burnie

A **** in Towson for $48.

I mentioned the laQuinta because it is a nice chain and i get an outstanding room for dirt cheap prices.

Who wants to take a DC trip before or after the show?

For that matter what does a AmTrack ticket cost round trip? Spend a few hours walking the Mall and head back????

I'll take you up on that trip to DC. I haven't been there since '85.

I am planning on heading in on thurs and out on monday. Plans are looking good. Airfare leaves some to be desired - $370 was the best I could do. Will be booking soon.

Hotel-wise, I am holding off to see what everyone else seems to be doing or if anyone is up for splitting a room. I just need a place to sleep. I don't care if it is a nice hotel or not.

I found tickets from Tallahassee to Baltimore for 164.00$ and Tally is an out of the way airport. Round trip!

Does the CC in Baltimore have a name??????

Nate, via Hotwires Dutch auction 195 from AUS to IAD

leave 11/12
return 11/17

include redeye and turboprop routes

they have a package deal with a hotel in B-mo for $525
Sheriton baltimor North package is 487 with the flight and 5 nights. Usually multiple tickets have similar prices in case your're bringing the wife too.

Last edited:
That ain't bad. What is IAD?? I just searched for BWI.

I need to do more hunting.

Not sure about bringing the woman. She starts to fall asleep anytime I start talking about trees.

I say woman. Legally we are married via local JP, but the church wedding is next month. Kinda holding onto denial as long as possible. ;)

Planning a trip into DC let me know and I'll try and lend a hand, I live about 5 minutes from the mall and all that. Be more than happy to show people around and help with transportaion. Maybe see some of our historical trees in the area, and have a few cold ones.

Responses to questions

Regarding train from Baltimore into DC: Your best bet might be the MARC train. This is a commuter train that leaves from two locations in Baltimore and goes right to Union Station, DC, a 3-5 block walk to the Mall, or the DC subway's in the same building as the train station. Fares and schedules are here: http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules/marc/marc_schedule.cfm
The "Camden" line leaves Baltimore across the street from the Convention Center. The Penn line leaves from Pennsylvania Station, about 1 -1.5 mile north of the CC with easy public bus routes; less than 20 minute trip. The good news is that fare one-way to DC is about $7.00. It also runs frequently; about every half hour in rush hours, every hour outside. The bad news is that it doesn't run on the weekends.

Amtrak only leaves from Penn Station. On the Amtrak page at http://www.amtrak.com/, put in Baltimore to Washington, and you get the schedule. There's quite a variance in fares; regular trains are about $14 one-way, Acela trains are $39, Metroliners are $59. The differences are in the accomodations, Acela and Metrolines have more room to stretch out and plug in your laptop. They also skip some of the commuter stops, so this makes them faster. Although, the difference between trains from Baltimore to DC only amounts to 10-15 minutes.

Monkeypuzzle, as far as I can tell, it's just called the "Baltimore Convention Center." It's address is 1 West Pratt Street. You should be able to plug that into a map server like www.mapquest.com and get driving (walking?) directions. I got an aerial photo from mapquest that I was going to annotate and post soon.

TREEX, "IAD" is the airport abbreviation for Reagan National Airport in downtown DC. Congratulations on the wedding.

Glen Burnie might be a tougher commute the Towson if you don't have a vehicle. With a car or van, everything is a piece of cake. Baltimore isn't a DC or Los Angelos, where rush hour costs everybody two hours.

Let me know how I can help.

-Kevin

Hey Kevin, that is what we want to see; what and where are the better places to stay, where saving 10 bucks would be counter productive.

Is there a train going from the airport area to near the convention center?

I can get a
**** in towsen for $50
*** at BWI for $66
*** at University Center for $60

Looks like i can fly in on Midwest for $123 MKE to BWI.

Fly out the afternoon of the 12th and back on the morning of the 17th.

Assuming 10% taxes on the hotel I'm under $455 for the stay. Untill i eat and drink that is:D

Not sure what "University Center" is.

In Baltimore, there's no specific area called "University Center" as far as I can remember. There might be individual hotels that call themselves 'University Center' that I don't know about. Searching Google on "Baltimore University Center" didn't turn up anything specific. There's at least five different universities inside the Baltimore City limits, so this is part of the confusion.

If it's on University Parkway, then it's right next to Johns Hopkins University, my employer. This would be about 3 miles north of the CC, but in a wonderful, pretty, safe area of Baltimore, with easy bus access, but no Light Rail or Metro. I don't know of any chain hotels, like a Holiday Inn, in that area, but there's a bunch of what I would describe as "luxury hotels" that might have spare rooms at a discount. If so, I'd book early, as when the students are back, these may fill up with parents visiting.

-Kevin

That's what they call it on the Hotwire maps.

click here http://www.hotwire.com/hotel/index.jsp then enter BWI into the city field.

compairing that map to my DeLorme this area covers the diagonal University Pkwy forms between I-83 up to Noprthern Pkwy and Greenmount Ave.

DeLorme lists a Radison and a Quality in this area, along with a few B&B's

University Center area on Hotwire maps

Thanks, JPS, now I see it. For the most part, the whole area in the University Center area is good and safe. In fact, it's some of the most beautiful areas of Baltimore.

The Radisson I found in this area is in Cross Keys, a guarded community and very upscale commercial district along Falls Road between Cold Spring and Northern Parkway. This has okay bus connections to the CC (may need a transfer), but is just a long (3/4 mile?) walk to the Light Rail at either Cold Spring (south of Cross Keys) or Mount Washington (north).

The Quality Inn I found in that area is called the Caryle, a very upscale hotel across University Parkway from the Johns Hopkins campus. This is right on Charles Street, so a direct bus shot to the CC, but about a mile walk to the Light Rail.

In the whole University Center area, if possible, just beware of the small section east of North Charles Street; the neighborhoods start getting rougher a block or two east.

If you're looking at the "Downtown and Inner Harbor" Hotwire map, the Convention Center is just about where the "H" in 'S. Hanover St.' is.

-Kevin

I'll definitely be driving.... so could help transport men and gear to and from convention and climb sites.... Anyone willing to take point on finding some trees we can climb.....
I could also ask my wife to find some cheap rooms......
I don't snore...

Originally posted by murphy4trees
I don't snore...

Famous last words.....

Seriously -

I'll be flying in so any networking with ground transport would be appreciated.

I'll be flying into BWI around 6:30 pm on a Midwest flight, it costs $121. My room will be at the Radisson Cross Keys for $66/night.

Kevin said it's kinda swanky so I'll take bids for the second bed. These things usually give me a double. It has an airport shuttle and all that.

Last edited:
Holiday Inn Tom stayed at?

Tom, just out of curiosity, I went to the Holiday Inn site and looked up the hotels they listed for Baltimore. They had Inner Harbor, BWI Airport, Glen Burnie (south of city, about 3-5 miles), Hunt Valley (with the Marriott, at the end of the Light Rail), Towson-Cromwell Bridge Road (north of downtown about 12 miles, just outside the Baltimore beltway, I-695) and Security (West of downtown about 6-8 miles). I don't think any of them are near train tracks. The Holiday Inn Express Caton Ave is about 4 miles west, and you might have heard trains there.

-Kevin

Back