Teach me everything you know about logging and forestry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it should be self explanatory, lots of jerks have moved here over the past 20-30 years, things is getting crowded and tense, used to be known as one of the politest places in the world... sadly not so much anymore...

so don't move here...

Amen.

Land prices here have increased by factor of OVER 100X (one- HUNRED times) in the last 35 years anywhere within 10 miles of major employment areas (microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, etc) and private forest land at least 10X in same time.
To try and preserve forest land, Lewis county (100 mi south of Seattle) has a 20 acre minimum if you want to build a house outside of town, etc.
And the newbies figure everything is community property ! A couple literally drove right into my back yard last week to help themselves to some rocks and gravel ! Nobody owns that right? Yeah nobody owns it, then why am I paying $10K/year in property taxes!

But on OP subject: After 50 years of just 'hobby' logging on own 35 acres, over 150 stitches and a couple weeks in hospital once 42 years ago 'learning' about NEVER going into the woods without FOPS on your dozer. Turn that type logging into a Louie L'Amour type gunfight sequence, man vs falling object. FOPS = a big iron cage on dozer, Falling Object Protections.

I didn't know about the 20 acre thing and I live in Lewis County. I do know we are losing working forests as they are turned into housing developments and then the people from elsewhere buy the houses and then complain about the forests being "chopped" down. Oh, and they complain that we are rude because many of us who were born and raised here were taught to be polite but don't run up and start being really nosy and bothering new neighbors. I do not know where that custom came from. In my unofficial surveys, I usually find that 70% of the people in a group moved here from another state.

It's changing and I don't like it. I'd like it better if the Seattle techies would buy my place for some outrageous amount of money, but that isn't happening.

Don't move here.

I'm also wondering if the OP is a troll.

FOPS is Falling Objects Protection System
ROPS is Rollover Protection System
OPG is Operator Protection Guard (has guards over the glass mostly so a log won't blow through and tickle your face)

Here we call a site either a site, timber sale, "up in the woods". Where the logs are skid (that is a hitch, twitch or pull) is the landing or deck.

Anyhow, I'd about give a kidney for a few dozen truckloads of saw logs like in those pics! The stuff we have around here we are doing good to get a 16ft 8x8 out of.

We use a feller buncher, grapple skidders and a stroke delimber. Not much chainsaw use. Lot safer sitting in a cab and quicker too. What would take me a week by hand can be done in a day with a buncher.

But like mentioned, it's very regional and sometimes even site specific. (due to laws/rules, land condition, time of year, etc) Before I saw the Axeman show I'd never even heard of a such thing as a yarder. Head to WA or OR and I don't think you can toss a stick without hitting one.

it should be self explanatory, lots of jerks have moved here over the past 20-30 years, things is getting crowded and tense, used to be known as one of the politest places in the world... sadly not so much anymore... so don't move here...

it was still pretty and pretty cool in the Pac NW, specifically Washington State up into the mid 70's or thereabouts!. then the folks down in CA became aware of the great value of Pac NW air, mountains and real estate values. and things tain't been the same since. progress they call it! I call it 'ethnic sprawl'... many do not agree. at least the salmon and steelhead still taste good, Mt Rainer is as pretty as ever... the skiing remains great!... and float planes are as common on L Washington as a logn' truck load headed out of the high Cascades...

I know! I am from Washington State... lived all across it... 1st grade in Pullman, Ephrata, Moses Lake... Seattle. love the Dawgs, as I am also a UW grad! I left WA with a low draft number, and I am to blame for some of state's demise... I guess. u see I took a piece of it with me... ;)

times r changing all around us. many of us don't like it. much of it is corrupt politics and greed. the engine is money, fueled on the promise of progress. but these hot temps we see are proof the plan is not entirely working... change is tuff. adjustment even tuffer.

cutting down the timber to build homes! its all over. too much f'g going on, if u ask me. less people is the answer! well, one answer. timber abuse displaces the wildlife. we have seen feral hogs running down our street most likely from a woods being culled for homes... and what gets me, is that it just seems as nobody cares as in those doing it!

this is one swell thread! in part cause so many posters from Washington state. I like that. I will visit this thread and watch it develop. I am sure I will find it to be quite interesting... wish we could all GTG and have an Oly... take care and keep up the interesting posts. Thanks! ~

"Go Huskies...!"
auw1.jpg

it was still pretty and pretty cool in the Pac NW, specifically Washington State up into the mid 70's or thereabouts!. then the folks down in CA became aware of the great value of Pac NW air, mountains and real estate values. and things tain't been the same since. progress they call it! I call it 'ethnic sprawl'... many do not agree. at least the salmon and steelhead still taste good, Mt Rainer is as pretty as ever... the skiing remains great!... and float planes are as common on L Washington as a logn' truck load headed out of the high Cascades...

I know! I am from Washington State... lived all across it... 1st grade in Pullman, Ephrata, Moses Lake... Seattle. love the Dawgs, as I am also a UW grad! I left WA with a low draft number, and I am to blame for some of state's demise... I guess. u see I took a piece of it with me... ;)

times r changing all around us. many of us don't like it. much of it is corrupt politics and greed. the engine is money, fueled on the promise of progress. but these hot temps we see are proof the plan is not entirely working... change is tuff. adjustment even tuffer.

cutting down the timber to build homes! its all over. too much f'g going on, if u ask me. less people is the answer! well, one answer. timber abuse displaces the wildlife. we have seen feral hogs running down our street most likely from a woods being culled for homes... and what gets me, is that it just seems as nobody cares as in those doing it!

this is one swell thread! in part cause so many posters from Washington state. I like that. I will visit this thread and watch it develop. I am sure I will find it to be quite interesting... wish we could all GTG and have an Oly... take care and keep up the interesting posts. Thanks! ~

"Go Huskies...!"
View attachment 515712

luckily modt of the logging out here is done on steep ground you'd have to be knuts to build a house on, so it gets replanted, the commercisl ground, invluding Forest Service and DNR is managed quite well, Snohomish county passed an ordinance no houses on less the 5 acres in rural areas, while a boon for this dumb logger it put a good hitch in the step of mass developers.

So now the I-5 corridor is getting chocked full with crappy McCondos and strip malls.

The builders are still cramming houses everywhee they can though...

Also i hear that wild hogs have made it into Oregon... with luck the mighty Collumbia will keep them off the north cascades fer at least a little while.

I guess I have lots of skyline stuff because I liked working on those units. There was more to figure out and it seemed a bit more exciting that skidder logging. Here's a couple of silent videos I have of guyline stump rigging. This is a crew with a Madill yarder that I enjoyed working with. They were very easy to work with and very professional.

Part two: Note the rot in the stump. But this crew seemed to know what they were doing and it worked.

From the landing. This is the not too frequently used and much hated downhill yarding. Road construction is considered to be a bad thing on Forest Service ground so downhilling is the only alternative if helicoptering is too expensive. Sorry for the low quality, but you will hear the noise.

I'm also wondering if the OP is a troll
th

See here the forest circus likes it when we put haul roads or skid roads in. It's roads they don't have to pay for and they turn around and call it "recreational access".

Like the last property we just wrapped up, we had darn near an I95 skid trail dozed in from end to end of the ~200 acres. Was nice, at the end we had about a 2 mile skid.

luckily modt of the logging out here is done on steep ground you'd have to be knuts to build a house on, so it gets replanted, the commercisl ground, invluding Forest Service and DNR is managed quite well, Snohomish county passed an ordinance no houses on less the 5 acres in rural areas, while a boon for this dumb logger it put a good hitch in the step of mass developers. So now the I-5 corridor is getting chocked full with crappy McCondos and strip malls. The builders are still cramming houses everywhee they can though... Also i hear that wild hogs have made it into Oregon... with luck the mighty Collumbia will keep them off the north cascades fer at least a little while.

>So now the I-5 corridor is getting chocked full with crappy McCondos ...

hello. down here too. I remember when there was no I-5... then the months and months of mud and construction... I drove on it to school first day it opened... construction junk all over the place, and the mud, too... but... was a bit better than the viaduct... lol...

the logging vids are great! :)

it should be self explanatory, lots of jerks have moved here over the past 20-30 years, things is getting crowded and tense, used to be known as one of the politest places in the world... sadly not so much anymore...

so don't move here...
Hahahaha; see thing is" you never succeeded the union", so your not a country. If I wanted to move there I would but your jerky attitude makes me want to move there just to spite you :p

I didn't know about the 20 acre thing and I live in Lewis County.

Might not be all of the county, I'm on Salmon Creek, halfway between St. Helens and Mossyrock. 20 acre rule just recent, full time neighbor down there told me about the new 'zoning'.

That settles it, farms sold and I'm on the way tomorrow :rolleyes:

right sell the farm, all yer gonna afford out here is 2 bedroom shack on 1/4 acre 60 minutes from anything resembling a day job, with a bunch of other transplants that ***** about the weather and report any chainsaw use to the county... hence we got enough elbows here don't need anymore

..report any chainsaw use to the county...

Did you see the thread I posted awhile back when we had one of our summer days in April? Was at the cabin cutting some wood, stopped the CS and yearling deer walks right up to me and NUDGES me begging for a treat ! DNR has some thinning going on adjacent, all I can figure is that some of the crew are 'chumming' the deer getting ready for fall.
Never thought of using a chainsaw for a deer call before ! Totally flabberghasted that the deer came right up to me like that.

OP could work that into her script (if not troll, we have not heard back from her though), maybe a shoot out with the game warden to spice things up for the screenplay ?

Went to the truck and fed the deer a Ding Dong, deer loved it. Have heard they like stogies or cigarettes even better, but don't smoke (me I mean, would REALLY wonder if the deer asked for a light!). I'll not get a license this year, some warden may have read this !

One more for OP for her screenplay: Last year, my 9 YO grandson was hiking down the creek and came running back as he saw something bigger than me (6', 230#). Told him a bear but may have been Bigfoot, right area for it.

Latest posts

Back