Teach me how to port a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, port timing is not where you start. There are successful builders out there that never put a degree wheel to the saw, not that I'm recommending that. There's FAR more things to porting than the numbers. I recommend you start by reading every post you can about porting. There is a FAQ thread in the stickies. In that thread are several links about porting. Study lots of pictures. Port shape is very important…to both performance and longevity. There are lots of does and don'ts. It's not really something than can just be taught in a thread.

I agree, no need to change timing much at all to warm up a work saw.

I start with the basics, simple stuff. Make sure the base gasket doesn't stick out into the lower transfer port. Make sure the the throttle blade stops at 90* to the carb bore at WOT. If the throttle blade goes past that point is just like it didn't get to WOT. Make sure the exhaust gasket is matched to the port and the muffler is matched to the port.

I've gotten some very good results with minimal grinding, basically raising the upper transfers, opening up lower transfers, widening, polishing and slightly raising exhaust and a little off of the piston skirt on the intake side. And don't forget to open your muffler. All this was done with a dremel.

I have read try to keep shapes kind of square ,but curve the top of exhaust port so do not hang a ring.anyone else have any shape tips ? Or should i try to keep factory shapes whereever possible ?

I have read try to keep shapes kind of square ,but curve the top of exhaust port so do not hang a ring.anyone else have any shape tips ? Or should i try to keep factory shapes whereever possible ?
I've read to make a flat bottom oval if it's a square port but you can't go too far to the sides or supposedly hot spotting can occur.

Look, I am more than happy to Share some high lever felling info with people but this shìt is top secret man. I'll have to tell you privately

WBF, if you share about felling, I'll share about falling so as the other fellers know what we are talking about.

clever John! And we can just take turns. Like tomorrow I can share about the falling I did tonight...with the fellers. I think I'm getting it?

I think you know more than you let on Hahahahaha ,i know who you used to hang with.
You can fall some of the trees some of the time,but you can't fell all of the trees all of the time.

No I can fall ALL of the trees, some of the time. but I can't fool all of the trees all of the time.
Maybe I sounded a little too Democratic in my original post. Perhaps as a Republican I should have said," You can fall all of the trees all the time, but you can't fell some of trees some of the time."

Just as a side note, I was very responsible with regards to drinking and driving this holiday season.
Christmas eve I attended a fallers ball and after at least 5 beers and 7 shooters I decided to take a cab home, but when I woke up the next morning I didn't know what to do with the cab I found in my yard.

Then 10 yrs later when "the Billy's" and the Social Credit party were running rampid In this province, I can't say a wasn't a little tempted.

One time I picked up this hitchhiker comming out of Victoria and she says she's off to a 'Socred' conversion and was just begging me to go. We pull up there and it's gettin' to be dark. I just wanted to **** OFF you know. So this little thing about rolls over on top of me, has me to agree to giving the party a chance.
Probably about a minute later she's asking me "what's wrong" I just couldn't hide it. So I say " I have only been a Socred for a few minutes and I've already been F*cked
So now I'm an 'aNAIList'
I just don't cry afterwards

John! In your original post I was probably a 12 yrs old anarchist.
WBF, what's an Anarchist? Sounds like a vagabond who hops freight trains and lives in a tarpaper shack. In other words a Gypsy and/or a Timber Tramp. No price can be put upon freedom.
We can all sit back and listen to the trees growing.

Then 10 yrs later when "the Billy's" and the Social Credit party were running rampid In this province, I can't say a wasn't a little tempted.

One time I picked up this hitchhiker comming out of Victoria and she says she's off to a 'Socred' conversion and was just begging me to go. We pull up there and it's gettin' to be dark. I just wanted to **** OFF you know. So this little thing about rolls over on top of me, has me to agree to giving the party a chance.
Probably about a minute later she's asking me "what's wrong" I just couldn't hide it. So I say " I have only been a Socred for a few minutes and I've already been F*cked
So now I'm an 'anailist'
I just don't cry afterwards
I really hate it when that happens.

Back