teaching your kid ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How old you think your kid should be before you teach him how to use a chain saw?

That would depend on the kid. You need to see that they have the strength and hand eye coordination to use one safely. They also need to be able to listen to direction and apply it to the work at hand.

Fit saw size to the kid size and go from there. Start with the very basics with the saw shut off. Good PPE. Small easy cuts that won't bind or pinch.

Mr. HE:cool:

Started mine at 13 with close supervision. He started using a 180 stihl. I gave him a very detailed lecture and demonstration on chainsaw safety, including showing him what a kick back looked like and what caused them. We put the low kick back safety chain on his saw, put eye and hearing protection on him and stood with him while he was using the saw. I also showed him how to maintain his saw, the same way my dad did 35 years ago and why it was important.
Lastly, I showed him the nasty scar on the inside thigh of my left leg.
Also make sure they wear proper foot wear, not tennis shoes. Now he is 15 and runs a 361, he does his own falling under my supervision and is a fantastic partner when cutting wood, we make it a man thing every time we go to the woods. We take hotdogs, summer sausage and drinks and always take a break at lunch and start a little fire and cook out lunch, staying out all day.
I've got another son who will be 13 next week and the little 180 will see use again, can't wait to pass it on.

My son is 14 but a little undersized. I think he might be ready but I need to get a smaller saw and the safety gear. I like your approach Indian. HD, I agree that coordination and the ability to listen are probably more important than age.

That would depend on the kid. You need to see that they have the strength and hand eye coordination to use one safely. They also need to be able to listen to direction and apply it to the work at hand.
Mr. HE:cool:

good answer

This question has been asked before and being the father of a 9 year old I ask myself the question a lot. To make sure he's ready "in the head" I figure I have to be comfortable throwing him the keys to my truck or letting him hunt/shoot alone. As far as body strength goes I don't know... Haven't figured out a "test" for that one yet.

I've been obessed with machines all my life, chainsaws no exception. Dad could see I was hanging out to use one (about 10) so just let me. I'd spent long enough watching him, there wasn't much more to say. I think the kid has to be confident, interested and have a natural respect and 'sympathy' for machines, and the rest comes naturally. They should be able to realise how dangerous they can be be seeing the speed of the chain and feeling the sharpness of the cutters. It's up to you to judge their capabilities. If they have them, a constant drilling about safety and putting the fear of god into them isn't necessary IMO.

I'm 24 now, and have just bought some ppe (a couple of months ago, first time I've ever worn anything other than ear muffs). It's hot, but I've conceded a good idea if you do a lot of cutting. I'm not trying to start a war with the PPE nazis I just think there's too much talk of safety gear when the no1 factor is the kid's attitude

Started mine at 13 with close supervision. He started using a 180 stihl. I gave him a very detailed lecture and demonstration on chainsaw safety, including showing him what a kick back looked like and what caused them. We put the low kick back safety chain on his saw, put eye and hearing protection on him and stood with him while he was using the saw. I also showed him how to maintain his saw, the same way my dad did 35 years ago and why it was important.
Lastly, I showed him the nasty scar on the inside thigh of my left leg.
Also make sure they wear proper foot wear, not tennis shoes. Now he is 15 and runs a 361, he does his own falling under my supervision and is a fantastic partner when cutting wood, we make it a man thing every time we go to the woods. We take hotdogs, summer sausage and drinks and always take a break at lunch and start a little fire and cook out lunch, staying out all day.
I've got another son who will be 13 next week and the little 180 will see use again, can't wait to pass it on.

That's great! Almost makes me want to have a kid one day.

i'd say whenever he\she starts showing any type of interest in motor vehicles. or whenever his\her motor vehicle skills start showing.

buy a wildthing and set some logs up, keep a close eye and show how devistating a kickback can be if ur not holding the saw strongly enough.

i showed my little brother how to use a saw after he could drive the big quad when he was almost nine.i learned at almost nine long after i could drive the Jeep.

My sons 11 and Ive let him cut with an 017. He did OK and enjoyed it. Ill keep an eye on him for a few more years before I turn him loose.:)

It's got to be sometime after the thumb sucking stops... Can't have any one handed chainsawin'.

I remember seeing tip-guards on bars to prevent kickback, and thinking what a waste of metal they were...but reading this makes me wonder if it might not be a bad idea for training kids.

Makes me cringe thinking about it though.

I have a while to go. My boy is 18 months...but since he was a little over a year old he has been pointing at my saws (or pictures of saws on the computer) and saying "Brrrummm! Brrruuummm!" whenever he sees them

As well as age, physical and mental maturity I think it also depends on the kid eagerness.

I would not force anyone who was not willing, or so scared of a chainsaw to use one. Likewise if they are "bull at a gate" and "way too eager" I would be watching them like a hawk. It reminds me of my son who was 19 when he told me he was going to get an MC license. As he had be the driver in 3 car accidents in the previous 2 years and knowing what a careless driver he was I advised him against this. When I described how badly mangled ones hands could become in an MC accident, being an eager guitarist it won him around.

Of course, it is never too soon to get them used to the right colors...

attachment.php

youll know when they are ready. watch them. more specifially watch them watching you. are they watching you run saw, see what you do and dont do? do they ask questions about why you do things certain ways?

thats when they are ready. i got told no for a long time before i started. that being said i started asking as soon as i got over the fact that the saw was loud and scary. once i picked it up i couldnt put it down.

i was limited to working with dad present for a long time. then it was just when mom or dad was home to take me to the hospital if need be. then i could start cuttin trees. then limbing came last. limbing, in my opinion can be the most dangerous thing to do with a saw.

i dont know your saw experience or background. but you might consider taking a saftey course as a refresher so all the saftey stuff is fresh in your mind when you are teaching your offspring.

i would recomond maybe getting them into a course on chainsaw safety, cuz there might be things that you might forget to teach them( not saying everyone is a bad teacher) the course would cover everything from safety to felling notching e.t.c i took one when i first started to use a chainsaw and i found it to be very helpful, cuz there was things that dad forgot to tech me. and make sure the use PPE

I was about 13. I had sharpened a whole lot of chains before I got to use the saw. About 15 I did some cutting at the neighbors with his saw. A new Sears/Poulan POS which he had installed the chain on backwards. He had hurt his knee and couldn't cut or walk in the snow.

I wouldn't let my current 15 year old near a saw. No interest, which as someone mentioned is a big red light.

Mark

Back