Tell me about dolmar 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to buy a dolmar 6400 that is all orange. It is well used but in good condition.
What is a fair price for one of these?
How well are they made and what kind of power do they have?
Are there better topends for it and do they respond well to porting and mods?

The first 6400's were all orange for a few years.

They are an open port engine with generous ports

They run pretty good for 64cc and stand right up with the best chainsaws in this size range.

They are changeable to 7900 version with the OEM 79cc P&C set.

There are just a few differences between the orange one and the 2011 version.

Top AV limiter cap, black cover, and chain catcher

if you haven't already go read through the build threads by Mastermind and Stumpys Customs, think they both did the 7900 version.

The first 6400's were all orange for a few years.

They are an open port engine with generous ports

They run pretty good for 64cc and stand right up with the best chainsaws in this size range.

They are changeable to 7900 version with the OEM 79cc P&C set.

There are just a few differences between the orange one and the 2011 version.

Top AV limiter cap, black cover, and chain catcher

Summed up perfectly.

I still think this line (6400, 7300, 7900) is one of the best ones out there, it is so easy to get parts/interchange etc. As for price - really depends on your area. I suspect out my way someone couldnt get more than $150 for a well used one, but im sure there are areas where it would fetch double that. Out here people are just nuts for stihl and husky. Just saw a (well) used 390 go for $400.

kind of off track, but did you North American guys get PS5000's up there, there's been one offered on our domestic auction site a couple of times and no one has picked it up. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but Mrs Adam already knows there are FOUR chainsaws in the shed.........besides with my addiction issues my 4 Husky set would then have to be joined by a PS5000, 6400, 7900, 9000?......

Adam

Oh that's easy

kind of off track, but did you North American guys get PS5000's up there, there's been one offered on our domestic auction site a couple of times and no one has picked it up. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but Mrs Adam already knows there are FOUR chainsaws in the shed.........besides with my addiction issues my 4 Husky set would then have to be joined by a PS5000, 6400, 7900, 9000?......

Adam

You are just "holding" those new saws in the shed until your friend from the US comes to visit and pick them up**

***given hitting the lottery bigtime...no stupid sardine can jetliner, luxury yacht baby! Yep...gotta go for a six month cruise to go pickup a coupla used chainsaws..yep....

;)

The guy wants 125 but i think i will get it for 100. Looks like it has a cheap little air filter but everything overall seems built very well to me. Seems like a lot of saw for that price though?

What size bar can it pull comfortably?

The 6400's normally have a 20" bar but you might could use a 24" on it.

Great saw! As far as quailty goes, i think it's one of the best! And it's true that they dont run like a 60CC saw, quite a bit stronger.
run it for ahile and you can always upgrade to the larger kit later if you need it. Check out the thread titled the best 24" chainsaw.
Mike posted a vid of his 6400 that shows pretty well what they can do!

Back