Tell me about this Jonsereds 520SP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this saw awhile back got it running (not well) and put it on the back burner.

I'm waiting on parts for a couple other projects and thought maybe this weekend might look into it futher.

I tried to cut some with it awhile ago and it seemed just wrong. The saw has great compression but the carb could probably use some diaphragms.

Going to check all the lines closer but I remember trying to figure out how in the hell to change out the impulse line without pulling the jug. Is there a barb on the jug that it fits on? Looks to me like it goes down into a hole on it.

The 1984 IPL dont really show much on it. It also has a Tilliotson HK23 carb on it. What is the correct kit for it? The dealer I talked to today said there were four different ones for the HK.

Seems that when I ran it from the way it ran I suspected a air leak, so I may have to fab up some block offs and test it.

The 84 IPl that I have shows a Walbro carb and the name as Jonsered, not Jonsereds so I'm thinking this one maybe older?

This saw came to me without a choke pull on it and I just found a new one and put it on but I guess I have to look closer as it just flops in and out, no pressure to keep it closed. Kinda screwy throttle and choke setup on it anyway. No throttle lock on it, got to open the throttle first, pull the choke and when you push the choke in it releases the fast idle on it.

The whole thing looks kinda cheesy comprared to my 49SP and from what little I ran it, the power didnt impress me any either.

The saw is in very good shape, so is it worth the effort on it?

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have one that's about identical, but much dirtier. I think they're worth some effort. I'm going all through mine, and will probably set it up with a 16" Cannon carving bar and 1/4" pitch Stihl chain.

i had one thats almost identical but much dirtier. ;)
you'd have been more than welcome to the parts..............
but, alas it is gone.

those saws look very husqy/electrolux like. is there a husqy or even poulan twin you could use the ipl for?

Remember that this ones not running real well, but my first impression is that there are not many good comparisons to either and I have a 490 and a 5000.

Yes I can take a picture if I get to it this weekend.

Mark I just looked at the IPL Its not that helpfull. I was thinking of another J-red model.
Is there any info in the shop manual?

Most Partner and Jonsereds IPL's are just a little bit better then nothing.

:agree2: Why the hell did they cluster everything together on them older IPL'S you'd a thought paper was an endangered speicies in those days.:buttkick:

That saw is in nice shape Mark. I have the older version of it, the 52. I actually looked it over today and ordered a carb kit (tilly HS). Seems like that saw would be worth the effort. I just looked at the stats not bad..., 49cc, electric ign, etc. Maybe you have an early model '81 or '82 hence the JonseredS name and the fact that that saw has the tilly carb (like my 52) and not the walboro. Plantbiologist and Cantdog will probaly chime in.

Last edited:
Joe I believe your 52 is more closely related to my 49SP then the 520.

Thats kinda what I was asking for more info on this one.

The 49sp and the 52 have a vertically split case while this 520 is completly different. Almost like a clamshell horizontal case.

Yes it is in very good shape, thats why I kinda think its worth messing a little with.

I have only ran a tank of mix so far but I like mine a lot. I would say it runs nearly as good as my BIL's 49sp.

520 sp

I have a 520 SP that is in very good condition. Had it stashed in a remote cabin for 20 years. Just started using it again. It is a great saw. I don't know the hp but it outcuts my friends Husky 346 XP (old edition). It seems to have a better power band than the Husky and both are about the same weight. What's amazing to me is that for a sort of rough looking design, the antivib is good and it is just a comfortable saw to use.

Mark the 520 is what it is. A good reliable 50cc saw.Good AV, nice powerband well balanced with an 18" bar.

Just finished rings in one a couple weeks ago.Have run about 2 tanks through it,I like it.(modded muffler of course and a little grinder work while I had the cylinder off).

I have a 2050Turbo I've been using for about a year now, not much difference between the 2 .

520sp Good saw

I like my 520sp. It's only a 49cc just like my tired 49sp. However, it weighs less! One of the weak parts of that saw is the kill switch. They fall apart in your hand!

Regards

Dan

Hey Mark, not sure about the impulse line. The carb takes the RK-32HK kit, went through this over the summer with my 510. It was a pain to figure out which kit, but Kyle at E&E was a big help.

I will be doing some work on my 520 in the next 2 weeks, and will let you know if I find anything out.

That saw looks to be in pretty good condition. The 520's are no where near the saw the 490 (and similar) saws. Like scooter said, they are a solid reliable 50cc saw. The 510's had a crappy recoil assembly, but that was fixed on the 520.

:cheers:

Hey Mark, not sure about the impulse line. The carb takes the RK-32HK kit, went through this over the summer with my 510. It was a pain to figure out which kit, but Kyle at E&E was a big help.

I will be doing some work on my 520 in the next 2 weeks, and will let you know if I find anything out.

That saw looks to be in pretty good condition. The 520's are no where near the saw the 490 (and similar) saws. Like scooter said, they are a solid reliable 50cc saw. The 510's had a crappy recoil assembly, but that was fixed on the 520.

:cheers:

Plant, that's what I came up with, the RK23HK and my local shop is going to confirm it. You can't beat Kyle for help though either!

Yes I plan on getting it going right but my guy just placed his order yesterday so I probably wont get the kit till next week, so I guess I won't do the 520 this weeked after all. Like I said I still have a feeling there might be a air leak in this one.

Maybe this weekend I'll get the parts for my 1100 cd painted and all ready to go for when the parts come for it.

I ended up trading away my Husqvarna 50 so I guess this 520SP can take its place with the other Swedish 50's! It is in nice shape.

Back