terex 770 vs bandit 1890

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiclimber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any body been able to compare these two.We have a 1590 that is coming up for replacement and just looking at some options.There seems very little info on the net on the terex/woodsman one.

From what I can tell, the Woodsman are pretty popular. The only negative I have come across is the lack of chip throwing power on the smaller units. The real question should be between buying new or old with low hours. It continues to be my opinion that non-electronic engines are much superior to the newer tier 3 and 4 ECM engines. I am also of the opinion that all manufacturers are sacrificing quality in the building of their machines to make up for the greater cost of the newer engines.
In the 18" class you might want to consider the classics. Bandit 1890HD, Morbark 2400xp, with pre-ECM John Deere or Cummins.
Not the Rayco, nor the Vermeer BC1800 or Bandit 1990 or M18.

This will be for a new machine to replace the bandit so not really after a classic that needs a spanner put on to something at the end of every day.There is very little video of the terex running other than a old video of the woodsman that seemed to dribble chips out.

I have a 1890 bandit. For those who don't know it is a drum chipper. It is a 2001 year model. JUNK JUNK JUNK! I did have a 280 xp bandit HD and it was a disk. You can't compare a disk to a drum but the 280 was a night and day comparison. To make this short, Brush Bandit does not have a few of the patents on the drum chipper design so they just didn't (and as much as I can tell), don't have the best technology. I would never buy a Brush Bandit drum chipper. First, logs get caught in the infeed area (opening is wider than blade area) also, the blades don't over lap on the drum face so as the drum turns there are areas on the face that NEVER have a blade to chip the wood, a sorry design.

I have owned the machine for around 5 years. The feed table is for brush and isn't on the machine much. It is a 2002 year machine +/- a year. I will say, unless I get amnesia, I will never buy a Bandit machine ever. Mostly because for a company to EVER sell a machine like this, many more machines have to be the same way. The machine does not throw chips hard, I have never seen a machine plug so easily. I had to put a hydraulic motor control valve onto it to slow to feed system down and yet I can almost pull the material backwards (almost no pulling power! At least it doesn't plug as much) . I visited the company in Michigan, seem like nice people but the machine is still junk. Again, 280 XP HD a very good machine. And putting a 12,000 pound machine onto a single axle? It tore up my hitch, I was pulling the 280 with the same hitch and had no problems.

The picture is off my website, I do own this machine... not happily.

bennet_job_2_013.336185836_std.JPG

Now hydraulic drum chippers throw chips well. Its is just the nature of the beast.
If yours is clogging (which the Bandit is not know for) it may be the condition of the knives or bedknife or bed plate which would all contribute.
It could also be a lack of hp or low rpm's or a damaged belly plate or chip cute or the material you are chipping or the speed that you are chipping at or lack of attention at the controls or if you have auto feed and incorrect setting. It could be any combination of these.
Lack of power at the feed wheels can also be caused by a number of issues.
None of these problems are inherent in this machine specially.
On the other hand, disc chippers do inherently throw chips better than any hydraulic drum but then they have a lower capacity to weight ratio.

I have a 200hp JD engine. Knives are good, anvil is adjusted good, belly plate (I have been under it enough it looks good), engine is operating at full factory setting. I cut a lot of cottonwood, ash, elm and maple. I can only put larger cottonwood into the chipper and smaller other types of wood but if not put into it straight, nothing but problems, the log gets jammed in the corner of the feed opening and the side of the drum. Auto feed only works if it can pull the material into the machine without just spinning and not feeding. I own this machine, I see you sell them, of course they run just fine if you are selling them. I have ran a few other machines, the 280 XP, a cone drum, chuck and ducks and a hydraulic skid loader attachment chipper. 280 was the best, I guess I didn't up grade with the 1890.

I have run a lot of machines in my time. Had my own tree company for 20 years before doing this.
Every problem you mention is related to either a breakdown or wear-out in one or more systems on the machine or over feeding it.
I'm guessing the table is meant to load material on to with a load then you push a great pile into the machine.
These are really not designed to do that. All machines have their limits.

Man, I'm just an old treeman who sells used chippers. But ya, if you want to sell it you might want to talk about its good points.
I will tell you this though. I have sold just of few of the 1890's over the years and have never heard a complaint about them.
I can not say that about some of the other models. I do think your problem is fixable because it should not be giving you that much trouble.
You are literally the first guy I have ever heard complain about an 1890.

42211cb76feb0ce5fa3f58a7398154cb.jpg
4ef4d49d6de8b59cc7a174c47185ebd1.jpg
c3ba59e0b6879cc5c7ce80e183ceb0fd.jpg

It is heavy though. I broke hitch on 2 trucks. Got a bigger hitch. But besides that I love it. Load/feed with the crane or mini.
I've got a 250xp too. I've lately been thinking of switching to strictly drum chippers because of ease of maintenance. ( changing blades/knives )
To each his own though

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back