Thanks for all your advice - first time out with saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Girdling has been working successfully in this region for many years. I have professors that personally have been girdling trees around here for 40+ years and there hasn't been any issues with it. So why mess with a good thing.

Girdling has been working successfully in this region for many years. I have professors that personally have been girdling trees around here for 40+ years and there hasn't been any issues with it. So why mess with a good thing.
Really good thing, hmm can't see the forest for the trees maybe one
of those professors would like to stand under one on a windy day?
Limbs fall from these all the time with no one yelling headache, just
a matter of time before some kid gets killed by an act of mans stupidity,
then come lawyers or worse a homicidal daddy, count on it!

Last edited:
Sometimes hunters will girdle a tree to kill the foliage in a tree they want to climb for early deer season to have a better view of the area. In no way is safety a factor. Dead trees can stand for yrs upon yrs before falling over. And as others have said at no more a rate than they would naturally.

Firstly hunters will trim shooting lanes not girdle, idiots girdle.
Dead trees start dropping limbs in around two years unexpectedly
heavy objects falling from the sky is not a safety hazard? Lastly
trees in fact do die natural and rates will have no effect in court
if a mutilated tree by mans hand kills a human being.

I guess if that happens we will worry about it then. I have dropped girdled trees that were 60+ years old and they were still solid. Like said they do NOT decompose any faster than natural mortality. Believe what you wish it is a silvicutural treatment is widely practiced and has been for many years worldwide. I go in the woods all the time when it is windy, i mark timber around girdled trees and never worry.

I feel for anyone that does this if my grandson gets killed by it
is all I am saying. I don't think I would wait for court to rule but
hey he is my world!

Well i am going out this afternoon to girdle some trees, haha. If trees can last 60 years girdled than your grandson will be all grown up.

Anywho back to the purchase of that new saw. Take care of it and it will last a good while.

Firstly hunters will trim shooting lanes not girdle, idiots girdle.
I don't condone the practice because the only criteria for doing it is based on everything but tree management. This topic could be beat to death but even in todays high liability atmosphere I would be money no one will ever be harmed by a girdled tree. The day I here of one I'm buying a lotto ticket for sure.

Back