Thanks guys!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I would like to thank those who share there knowledge here. I am not a logger or even in tree service, just a weekend hack that loves saws, and I spend a lot of time reading in here trying to improve my ability with a saw. I am a full time fire fighter, and was able to use some of what I have learned here in the early hours of this morning. As a result of a vehicle accident a 20'ish palm tree was severed from the stump and left hung in the trees above. After all taken care of and the car was removed from the bushes, all that was left was the palm tree. Nobody else even had a clue how to get the palm tree down, and was just going to call the county to take care of it. I was able to convince my LT. to let me take care of it, and took our J-red 2171 vent saw and got the tree down safely without causing anymore damage to the surrounding area. So thanks again to those who share their knowledge and experience!!!

Some of the firefighters are quite handy with the chainsaw. I remember once we were clearing up the mess after a trombi (a kind of small scale hurricane). I was watching the firefighters opening the railroad. A fellow dropped a 80 feet spruce hanging up on the railroad power line using a routine we call the swing: he cut the trunk standing on the track; the butt dives under the wires and the tree swings 180 degrees, ending up on the ground the top facing the root. A nice trick, which may be done if there is more weight below the wires than above.

I asked the firefighter, who taught you do that? It appeared it was the same old fellow, who once showed me that trick.

Knowledge is bound to be shared.

Hummm... That is interesting! Palm tree!

I've not seen mention of that around here before?

If you want to learn more... I don't know if there is anything specific about cutting palm trees? But might want to poke around the other areas here where the tree service guys hang out. Maybe they have some tips for those specific trees?

Then for learning more in general about chainsaw safety, tree cutting, and chainsaw maintenance, Stihl has an excellent video on this here...

Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance
http://www.stihldealer.net/videolibrary/

As to being a firefighter and using a chainsaw during a fire to gain access to a building or cut through the roof to "ventilate"... WOW!

I would think that would require basic chainsaw knowledge. Plus advanced knowledge of special chains which could cut through nails and remain sharp, plus construction knowledge as well as a bit of structural engineering!

And I suppose a structure could be partially burned, then as to what is supporting what on a roof - could change entirely from the initial structural design of the building!

I guess they would cover that in fire fighting training?

I've cut through roofs many times before doing construction work, but prior to doing this I went in the attic and found where the rafters were, took careful measurements, etc. so I would not cut through a rafter. I guess that is not an option if the building is burning down!

Back