Thanks to the forum, and who maed this Craftsman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloweather

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First of all, thanks to my peeps here in the chainsaw area. I've learned a lot, including why my "antique" Deeres might be cutting crookedy. I might try resurrecting them for one last hurrah. They smoke up the woods like a mosquito fogger. ;)

Also, thanks for all of the threads about getting older, or "junker" saws running again. They encouraged me to dig out my wife's 14" Craftsman and get it running. I'm not sure why I'd given up on it before, but a tank of fresh gas and it fired right up and ran wonderfully.

I remember the last time I worked on it I replaced the purge bulb and fuel lines. It could be it had bad gas in it, or that I wasn't starting it correctly..

The only thing I can find wrong with it now is that the fuel cap leaks from the center vent. I went on-line and ordered a new fuel cap and filter and air filter.

The saw was bought new in 1996, model 358.351140. How can I determine the manufacturer?

Thanks again!

Chris

First of all, thanks to my peeps here in the chainsaw area. I've learned a lot, including why my "antique" Deeres might be cutting crookedy. I might try resurrecting them for one last hurrah. They smoke up the woods like a mosquito fogger. ;)

Also, thanks for all of the threads about getting older, or "junker" saws running again. They encouraged me to dig out my wife's 14" Craftsman and get it running. I'm not sure why I'd given up on it before, but a tank of fresh gas and it fired right up and ran wonderfully.

I remember the last time I worked on it I replaced the purge bulb and fuel lines. It could be it had bad gas in it, or that I wasn't starting it correctly..

The only thing I can find wrong with it now is that the fuel cap leaks from the center vent. I went on-line and ordered a new fuel cap and filter and air filter.

The saw was bought new in 1996, model 358.351140. How can I determine the manufacturer?

Thanks again!

Chris

The 358 prefix in the sears model # means it was made by Poulan.

Thanks for the replies! I already have the parts ordered.

We still have the original manual, so I looked up the part numbers there and went to searspartsdirect.com to order.

Interestingly, 2 of them came up by their old part numbers, even though they'd been superseded. But one of them (the fuel cap?) didn't come up on a part number search. So I went to the diagram and found it... under its old number. Clicking on it in the parts list got me to the new part number.

The original receipt is stapled to the front of the manual. On July 26, 1995, we paid $139.99 for the saw, minus a $40 associate discount = $99.99.

Thanks for the replies! I already have the parts ordered.

We still have the original manual, so I looked up the part numbers there and went to searspartsdirect.com to order.

Interestingly, 2 of them came up by their old part numbers, even though they'd been superseded. But one of them (the fuel cap?) didn't come up on a part number search. So I went to the diagram and found it... under its old number. Clicking on it in the parts list got me to the new part number.

The original receipt is stapled to the front of the manual. On July 26, 1995, we paid $139.99 for the saw, minus a $40 associate discount = $99.99.

I was working for Sears Service (Santa Rosa, Ca) from 1993-1996. My associate discount got me great deals on a store stock (refurbed return) garden tractor, lawn mower, chipper, and tiller!:D

Back