That's not good.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-s

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was recently given a Stihl 028, which wouldn't start. After cleaning the carb, I could get a stutter of life. So I started tearing it down. Found this:
seal.png

OK, new seal needed. Pulled the seal. Found this:
bearing.png

I'm into it now. Case is separated, bearings are out. It will live to saw another day. Probably penny-wise and pound-foolish, but it deserves to live on. The rest of it is pretty clean.

As we get older just like the saws things sag. I once had a 60” chest it fell down to my waist. I was 390# but was #290 while working in the woods. I’m 220# now. Except the saws can be rebuilt.

Personally I’d rather rebuild a used saw that I’m going to keep and use upfront. Then we know why we have.

That is how I usually mod all my saws. Makes them lighter. Did it eat anything, race or bearings. Pretty easy to get upside down in a 028, not one of Stihls most loved children.

I was recently given a Stihl 028, which wouldn't start. After cleaning the carb, I could get a stutter of life. So I started tearing it down. Found this:
View attachment 816964

OK, new seal needed. Pulled the seal. Found this:
View attachment 816965

I'm into it now. Case is separated, bearings are out. It will live to saw another day. Probably penny-wise and pound-foolish, but it deserves to live on. The rest of it is pretty clean.

I seen this in older husky dirtbikes they just kept on running them until the flywheel hit the stator with loose crankbearings. It even ripped the threads that hold the stator out of the case. I did a bundle buy with three 125’s with the same problem. Live and learn.

Went to an auction several years back bought an 028 Wood Boss and case for fifty bucks. Wasn't supposed to run. Got it home a splash of gas and away it went. Nice cutting saw.

Went to an auction several years back bought an 028 Wood Boss and case for fifty bucks. Wasn't supposed to run. Got it home a splash of gas and away it went. Nice cutting saw.
Same here. I had to tune the carb a little, clean it up, and sharpen the chain. I did that to three of them and sold them for $200 apiece. All three are still in service today.

Back