The 056 is alive!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got off work today and there was a package containing an ignition module from a fellow member on this site, thanks Dan! I installed that module ate supper and went out to the woods. I filled her up with some mixed gas and 4 pulls 2 with choke on and two without and vroom. It had hardly no power and died quickly. Now I head out to the stihl dealer and ask him what the biggest bar he has is and he says 18" I started to laugh. He said 2 days to get something bigger and I said I can't wait two days I got that big saw running. He said wow that one you had in here last week I said yup so I bought the 18"es bar and a loop of rsc chain and headed home. I got everything together and I have the wrong sprocket. I called him up and said do you have any sprockets? he said No but I can get one for you tomorrow oh well so I ordered one for tomorrow. Now I went outside to see why it is bogging out. I guess the chain brake is seized because when I ran it with the clutch cover off she pulled and pulled and pulled hard until ping ting ting What was that? I killed it. the oil cap was gone the muffler was spinning on the ground and there was a pile of screws in all directions from the muffler and the heat shield. The only screw I found was 25 feet away. I now know what real vibration is! this thing is a torquemonster. I have not done anything cosmetic yet so when I get everything looking good and the bar on it I will post some pics. I am going to loctite most of the small screws at work tomorrow I obviously have no choice in the matter. The metric bolts are going to be a pain to get but I will buy the right ones and get everything right and tight. I'm up to about 150 bucks and that is after I change the sprocket out so I think I did pretty good. I can't hardly wait until I get the bar on it and fix the chainbrake.

I got off work today and there was a package containing an ignition module from a fellow member on this site, thanks Dan! I installed that module ate supper and went out to the woods. I filled her up with some mixed gas and 4 pulls 2 with choke on and two without and vroom. It had hardly no power and died quickly. Now I head out to the stihl dealer and ask him what the biggest bar he has is and he says 18" I started to laugh. He said 2 days to get something bigger and I said I can't wait two days I got that big saw running. He said wow that one you had in here last week I said yup so I bought the 18"es bar and a loop of rsc chain and headed home. I got everything together and I have the wrong sprocket. I called him up and said do you have any sprockets? he said No but I can get one for you tomorrow oh well so I ordered one for tomorrow. Now I went outside to see why it is bogging out. I guess the chain brake is seized because when I ran it with the clutch cover off she pulled and pulled and pulled hard until ping ting ting What was that? I killed it. the oil cap was gone the muffler was spinning on the ground and there was a pile of screws in all directions from the muffler and the heat shield. The only screw I found was 25 feet away. I now know what real vibration is! this thing is a torquemonster. I have not done anything cosmetic yet so when I get everything looking good and the bar on it I will post some pics. I am going to loctite most of the small screws at work tomorrow I obviously have no choice in the matter. The metric bolts are going to be a pain to get but I will buy the right ones and get everything right and tight. I'm up to about 150 bucks and that is after I change the sprocket out so I think I did pretty good. I can't hardly wait until I get the bar on it and fix the chainbrake.

An 18" bar on an 056 is a crime. Please hand over the saw before I have to forcibly remove it from you! :cheers:

To escape confiscation, you need to go buy at least a 24" and full comp chain. :cheers:

Ok I just might have to return that 18" bar and order something at least bigger than the 20" on my 372xp this thing has 20cc's on my husky and I have to wait for the sprocket anyway. I was thinking 28" or 32" but I don't really need anything bigger than 24" for what I cut. I can tell you this though she is gonna get used! I am glad I saved it from the boneyard now. I just hope I can keep this saw from vibrating to death. Hmm now I need a new project saw I might get a pioneer this time p42 is on my short list for sentimental reasons my grandpa used to have one hahaha! The saw sickness has started

If you run a short bar (less than 30...) put an 8 pin sprocket on it. You'll need to add one link to the standard chain length if you do. Mag2 came standard with 8 pin.

Well I was wrong it has the right sprocket but the chainbrake took me an hour to sort out it was caked in saw gunk and stuck in the on position. It is a mag2 93cc and it has a lot of jam. I put the 18" bar on today and everthing works ok now. I had to retap the muffler holes the last owner stripped them so I went with 1/4" X 3/4" long stainless capscrews on the front at the bottom and I chased the top center hole and put everything where it should be. I now have a clutch ping at idle so I have to pick up that new sprocket anyway and yes I ordered and 8 tooth for extra chain speed. It's heavy it's loud and it's got power out the wazoo and I like it! I just need to get her painted up and it will look new it runs great idles fine and starts easier than I though it would. I don't think there are many hours on this one.....yet. I am going to cut wood with it this weekend and I will let you know how I make out. I just need to sort out the clutch and everything else seems fine.

Ha! muffer bolts stripped??? .... I just fired up the 056 super I was given today.. replaced 8 (yep EIGHT) stripped threads with 5mm timeserts... real nice saw though - can see the original machining marks on both side of the piston....

From a box of dismantled junk that hadn't run for years to a running saw (three pulls).... $100 parts and 20 plus hours... I think I'll swap it for a 15 tons of gravel... (orginal owner hauls rock..). That will put me at about $8 per hour..

Hey Andy!!!!!

Ha! muffer bolts stripped??? .... I just fired up the 056 super I was given today.. replaced 8 (yep EIGHT) stripped threads with 5mm timeserts... real nice saw though - can see the original machining marks on both side of the piston....

From a box of dismantled junk that hadn't run for years to a running saw (three pulls).... $100 parts and 20 plus hours... I think I'll swap it for a 15 tons of gravel... (orginal owner hauls rock..). That will put me at about $8 per hour..

Send me the bill for the gravel and the shipping for the saw and send IT(the saw!!!) to me Ive been looking for a 56,,,,,, :chainsawguy:

Send me the bill for the gravel and the shipping for the saw and send IT(the saw!!!) to me Ive been looking for a 56,,,,,, :chainsawguy:

What River said.............Plus I will through in a case of beer and some
homemade rye bread :hmm3grin2orange:

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :Eye: :Eye:

Last edited:
Trigger and RR... Now you tell me after I put it all back together!!!

Well.... the orginal owner has first refusal... if not... we'll see... You guys have any idea how much 15 tons of gravel costs delivered out here?:)

I have some bad news I went to go start that beast up and the pull cord was very hard to pull and it wouldn't budge. I think it is seized up or something is stopping the piston or flywheel from moving. I will take it apart this week but I think I need a new piston now. It ran good last time I started it but something is wrong now. I brough it up to a friends camp and we helped his neighbour cut up a big tree that needed to be cut down. At least I had the husky with me and it didn't ruin my day. I should have checked the spark plug the first time I started her up to see if it was running lean. I hope it is just something binding and the piston and cyl are still good but I have a bad feeling.

Back