The 064 lives!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
She's finally back in one piece! This was my first time inside a 2 stroke. Complete rebuild. This was the first cut. I didn't bear down. I just let the saw do the work going easy for the first few cuts.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZQykT3D3lU4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZQykT3D3lU4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nice work It feels good to have a bunch of parts scattered, put them all together and viola....cutting wood. I am gonna guess that that wasnt WOT in the cut though right?

Wasn't quite WOT. I did have it pretty rich on the top end. I also think that I might have to go through the carb. The L doesn't make a whole lot of difference till you get all the way in or out. And I have the LS cranked in lot to get a decent idle. WDO

You want to make any extended cut like that at WOT only. The carbs are not designe as accurate at part throttle, or so I'm told. Just set it a little rich on top, which you have, and just don't make any cuts through 50" logs for a while. Of course then I made the first cut with my 076 Super with the the 36" bar buried in hardwood. I did let it cool after only one cut. Personally I wouldn't run it so rich that it doesn't clean out under load.

Wasn't quite WOT. I did have it pretty rich on the top end. I also think that I might have to go through the carb. The L doesn't make a whole lot of difference till you get all the way in or out. And I have the LS cranked in lot to get a decent idle. WDO

Just to be safe.. you might want to pressure and vac test the saw...

+1000. An 064 is a rather precious item. Make sure you can keep it. I am not going to run my 028 Super until it gets new seals, because it won't idle correctly. Vacs to 12, and drops to 10, but I imagine it opens up the seals when it gets hot, because that is when the idle difficulty starts.

Good advise, but especially more so on larger saws. I learned the hard way. A larger saw won't always exhibit the symptoms of high idle and hard tuning. A few months ago I had a 045 Super that kept going through pistons. It idled, tuned, and ran perfectly. It turned out to be a bad clutch side crank seal but only caused problems under load in extended cuts.

I guess I need to get setup to do a vac/pressure test. :mad: I did just run the saw for a couple of cuts and setting the idle. Now it will hardly start. Wants to turn over and fire but falls on it's face when I give her gas. I did pull the muffler and everything looks good in there... a nice coat of ultra on everything. WDO

I guess I need to get setup to do a vac/pressure test. :mad: I did just run the saw for a couple of cuts and setting the idle. Now it will hardly start. Wants to turn over and fire but falls on it's face when I give her gas. I did pull the muffler and everything looks good in there... a nice coat of ultra on everything. WDO

Sounds like your L needle is off. Richen it up a little.

Well, here's an update. After the saw wouldn't start, I called Brad and we dicussed what it was doing/did/and was not doing (running).:mad: I was going to send him the saw to check into it. He told me that I needed to put a different plug in it before I did that. Well after doing just that the saw started right up. Just a heads up to CTSSF! I tuned it a bit. Set a little rich for a few tanks. Then I plan on doing a muffler mod and retune. WDO

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e3hUD-frX7c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e3hUD-frX7c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thats hot. I'm getting parts in for mine tomorrow. After that I'll get it tuned and try it out with a fresh chain. Hopefully mine will sound as nice as yours.

Still sounds rich to me, and I usually set mine richer than a lot of people. It sounds a lot better though. Good job on that 064 WDO!

Still sounds rich to me, and I usually set mine richer than a lot of people. It sounds a lot better though. Good job on that 064 WDO!

Thanks, I tach'ed it at 11,500. My Service manual says 12,000 max for the 064. Thought i'd leave it a little fat for a couple of tanks then do the Muffler. Can I run it more than 12,000 after the mod? WDO

That sounds much better. You're still rich, as Bowtie mentioned, but if you're wanting to run it rich for a while to break it in, you should be fine at that setting. It is cleaning out and 2-stroking when you get a load on it. In the first vid, it was way too rich, and that's likely what killed your plug. I'm glad we save you some shipping costs.

Tuning after the muffler mod will have to be done by ear, and/or timed cuts. I would expect more than 12K, but you just never know.

Back