the addiction is real

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ever since I found this site , I have figured out I want to collect saws! what did you people do to me? In search of a larger saw to cut up my log length, I stumbled upon a Echo8800. Its in great shape, with a Oregon 20 inch bar, New chain , and a case for 350 bucks! It runs like a monkey on fire , cant wait to make some noise and chips! Has anybody out there used one of these? how does it compare to other big caliber saws? For a 80cc saw it not to bad to heft around. It has a manual oil button also. How useful is it? I pick it up tomorrow! :)

Welcome to the world of chainsaw collection. you're now an addict just like many others worldwide.
The oiler button you see on the CS8800 is just an override button for the auto oiler, in the case you're running a long bar and need more oil than the oiler can pump out.

Don't feel bad Keith, I went from 1 saw a year ago to 3, now am up to 6 with one more coming in tomorrow, with 3 or 4 more that I need to go get!

I'm new to this site also. The addition is real, I'm not sure this site causes it. I was looking for a site like this about a year ago after running over the rear handle of my Stihl 041 with a loader, but could'nt find one to answer the age old questions of which saw and new or used. I had to do it by way of trail and error. I have figured out one thing, most people( mostly homeowners) don't know how to fit or repair saws.I go to auctions alot and found a Stihl 011AVT in perfect condition for $30 and the only thing wrong was a clogged air filter. Bought another for spare parts, it worked. And another, ended up with 6 all good.Bought a Stihl 041 AVEQ the owner said he locked it up and found only a muffler bolt stuck in the fan wheel,$50 perfect saw.Found an Echo 900EVL with 32" bar in great condition $40.Tanaka ECS 290- 12" bar great condition $5. After one year I've bought 19 saws and sold 7 and for some reason I can't wait to buy more.

9 saws... 6 in last 18 months, and I'm just getting started!!! I think a chainsaw is a complex beautiful piece of machinery. A great example of technology and integrated systems, that work well. Does anybody else just sit and stare at their saw for a few minutes after cleaning it up? My wife and daughters just don't get it. :)

Dave

woodshop said:
Does anybody else just sit and stare at their saw for a few minutes after cleaning it up? My wife and daughters just don't get it. :)

Dave

Neither does my mom. I just ran my 250 with the 34" bar today, and enjoyed it. this truly is a fun hobby. women will never understand it as we do, they'll just say we're crazy.

It must be contagous, i just picked up an 028 super and a old blue homelite XL12 last night. Does this make me a club member??? :eek:

Yea, your right. It is an 8000. In my zeal over this saw and wondering about a bar upgrade etc, I did a typo. Picked it up while at work, the dealer I picked it up from Had it as a factory demo,Did a adjustment on the carb, and it started up in 4 pulls. Runs great, And I also have 1 yr unconditional warranty!Now I have this saw , a 4400 echo, and a 61 Husky

Well, I just got a nutter one too, a (so-called) Mac model 1838. $50 on ebay and same as new. I will never again make fun of the Poulan though, wow is that new Mac flimsy. The boys will give it a try it in the fence row Saturday while I feed the chipper and do the real work with the 036 when needed.

I use a chainsaw MAYBE twice a year, yet

I own: 3 Jonsered 670s (1 runs, 2 parts saws), 2 Jonsered 90s (1 sort of runs, 1 parts saw), 1 Jonsered 70 (I think it's a 70, doesn't run, part of a package purchase), 1 Jonsered 535 (doesn't run, part of a package deal), 1 Husky 51 (runs, like new), Stihl 025 (runs, needs oiler repair), 3 Stihl 011s (1 runs, 1 doesn't run needs tlc, 1 parts saw), 1 Stihl 009 (doesn't run, needs tlc), & 1 Stihl 015 (won't start, but in great condition). I hope that my wife doesn't read this.

So, am I a chainsaw addict?

Chris J.

Yea, I'm an addict as well. And I have no intention of going to CSA (Chain Saws Annonymous).

Just wait until you try modding your first saw - then it's all over!

Dont get me going . Im always hearing about how "stock" isnt good enough! I could just imagine porting this 8000 and running it. My neighbors would be running away. Now I have to go in my basement and work on my "chainsaw zone" Oh the force is strong....Also, Ive got a 27" factory bar on order and putting on stainless hex head fasteners to replace the originals,cause of rust. If only there wasnt 18" of snow around

Last edited:
I know the symptoms too. The glazed eyes at the sound of a healthy 4 cycling two stroke. It is a fun hobby, pretty cheap compared to a lot of them, and we can be smug about our eccentricity. We could do worse.

Latest posts

Back