the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, the more I read the more confused I seem to be getting about this big saw choice. So I'm hoping your good selves can help please. I figure42" is about what I'm going to need for felling big-ish trees in all but a few occasions. But 42" and longer will be used for milling.

In terms of weight while felling, I think the biggest I have actually used rather than just picked up and waved around, that I might be able to compare is the husky 2100 with about a 34-36" bar. That was fine, not too heavy. I won't be using the large saw every day, but I get the feeling that when I need a big saw, I'll need a big saw, if you get my drift. A classic example will be big, old macrocarpa trees that are 1.5m DBH, sometime more. But I figure most will be within the 42" bar size that I have read the husk 395 is fine with.

The issue for me seems to be if I could, albeit occasionally, mill with up to a 72" bar with RX mega-skip or other skip (or full comp but real high rakers) chain and aux oiler, using just the 395 and accepting it will not have the torque so will need to take things a bit slower, with higher rakers than I otherwise might with a bigger saw or the 4-stroke on my sawmill. Or whether it's lunacy and I would be better of with a 3120 and just having to grovel with the weight a wee bit when felling big-ish trees.

I'm leaning towards the 3120, but would I regret having a boat anchor like that in the arsenal and wish I chose a 395 or something else around that size instead? It would be an expensive screw-up to make.

Perhaps it's worth getting a 395 ported?

If the 100cc+ option is best, then is a 3120 or 880 or some other saw worth looking into a bit more? From what I've read, there's coil/intake boot swaps needed to wake the new 880's up.

Any help muchly appreciated.
I got a couple of 084's for sale. [emoji12]

Guys, the more I read the more confused I seem to be getting about this big saw choice. So I'm hoping your good selves can help please. I figure42" is about what I'm going to need for felling big-ish trees in all but a few occasions. But 42" and longer will be used for milling.

In terms of weight while felling, I think the biggest I have actually used rather than just picked up and waved around, that I might be able to compare is the husky 2100 with about a 34-36" bar. That was fine, not too heavy. I won't be using the large saw every day, but I get the feeling that when I need a big saw, I'll need a big saw, if you get my drift. A classic example will be big, old macrocarpa trees that are 1.5m DBH, sometime more. But I figure most will be within the 42" bar size that I have read the husk 395 is fine with.

The issue for me seems to be if I could, albeit occasionally, mill with up to a 72" bar with RX mega-skip or other skip (or full comp but real high rakers) chain and aux oiler, using just the 395 and accepting it will not have the torque so will need to take things a bit slower, with higher rakers than I otherwise might with a bigger saw or the 4-stroke on my sawmill. Or whether it's lunacy and I would be better of with a 3120 and just having to grovel with the weight a wee bit when felling big-ish trees.

I'm leaning towards the 3120, but would I regret having a boat anchor like that in the arsenal and wish I chose a 395 or something else around that size instead? It would be an expensive screw-up to make.

If the 100cc+ option is best, then is a 3120 or 880 or some other saw worth looking into a bit more? From what I've read, there's coil/intake boot swaps needed to wake the new 880's up.

I use my 066 and now my 661 for everything up to and beyond 36" with a double cut. I have an 090 that I can run my 72" on but unless I have multiple over 36" cuts I just use the 661. Big saws don't come cheap and very few in the 2nd market just due to the amount sold new is very little. Old mans got a 3120 with a 36, I still prefer to use the 661, it might be a bit slower but a lot lighter, way better AV and I like HD2's :)

On that mill of yours, instead og running one big saw, would you be able to run 2 smaller saws at each end of a bar? Is that an option for you? You get a lot more use out of two smaller saws than one big one that would only be used on the mill.

I use my 066 and now my 661 for everything up to and beyond 36" with a double cut. I have an 090 that I can run my 72" on but unless I have multiple over 36" cuts I just use the 661. Big saws don't come cheap and very few in the 2nd market just due to the amount sold new is very little. Old mans got a 3120 with a 36, I still prefer to use the 661, it might be a bit slower but a lot lighter, way better AV and I like HD2's :)
Thanks. Right or wrong, a 661 is off the list. Will try and find someone with a large Stihl or 3120 and see if I can handle it. With any luck it's not too heavy for me and the only thing scarier than the prices of these big saws are the trees I hope will find me out when the universe learns I have a big saw.

What do you think of the merits of an 880 with a coil, intake boot swap and muffler mod?

Anyone with a 3120 ever worried about the limited rpms or no high jet adjustment?

On that mill of yours, instead og running one big saw, would you be able to run 2 smaller saws at each end of a bar? Is that an option for you? You get a lot more use out of two smaller saws than one big one that would only be used on the mill.
hmmm. Thanks for the suggestion. That's the big unknown for me though - if I'm too weak to use the 120cc saws when felling.

Imo anything bigger than a 395 is just a BIG saw. Too big for my liking and use. I've never used the big stihls but picked them up and they be big. I'm not a fan of their balance in my hands . I certainly feel the difference when running my k960 vs a Stihl or the K3120 concrete saws. Different I know but based on the same chainsaws...

In wood a 288 is more than plenty for me. And picking up a 395 not too much bigger but the 084 088 and 3120 feel much bigger indeed. Maybe I'm just a *****

I'd have a 395 over a 066 660 every day and it has nothing to do with quality.

Btw I probably use saws the LEAST amount of the blokes on here

Hi there champ
I offen use an 880 with a 50'' bar to fell big trees and there is afew things to think about when doing so.
This set up is heavy even for me and bar sag is an issue.
The best way to attack the rear cut is to use a smaller saw and bar to make a cut so then to start the big bar in,or the chain will come off most times ((been there done that afew times)
You need skip chain or you will be sharping all day plus it leaves more room for chips in the wide cuts.
For me a 50'' bar is max have used a 60'' twice not for me to hard basket.
For milling my son in law uses a 60'' on an 880 and bar sag can be a big problem to over come,if the first cut is not smiko then the folling ones are not as well and it all becomes a f-cked up deal.
My 880 is the older model (cast iron muff) with only a muff mod and it pulls the 50'' with 3/8 skip chain no probs even in dry Redgum.
Cheers

Awesome info. Thanks Andrew(?).
Yeah, was thinking would use dolly to get some cuts started then over to the big boy to do what it does best. Interesting you are using 3/8 and not .404. Perhaps bar sag on the mill is a further plus for chippy's idea of two powerheads. I've read of guys using ported 395's and running up to 60" bars. This has made it even harder to decide. Will be trying to get on the end of a few big saws ASAP and see if I can handle the jandal and will make a decision about which way to go. Honestly not sure at this stage.

Awesome info. Thanks Andrew(?).
Yeah, was thinking would use dolly to get some cuts started then over to the big boy to do what it does best. Interesting you are using 3/8 and not .404. Perhaps bar sag on the mill is a further plus for chippy's idea of two powerheads. I've read of guys using ported 395's and running up to 60" bars. This has made it even harder to decide. Will be trying to get on the end of a few big saws ASAP and see if I can handle the jandal and will make a decision about which way to go. Honestly not sure at this stage.
get one of each... thats what i ended up doing lol

Ok guys, a QLD title update!
I had some 2nds,3rds & 4ths.
I made the final 6 in the open rip, ran 4th overall.
I was pretty happy with my saws n chains, I personally made a few errors, that cost me better finishes.
Will took out the u100cc post ripping title this year, so a big congrats 2 him.
He also narrowly scored overall points for the day.
We now regroup 4 the national titles to be held in Mt Larcom, north QLD 24th,25th,26th June .

Bad news re lady taken by Croc. at Cape Tribulation last night round 2230.

Can't have been an accurate media report though, read this Accomm. business publicity sheet -

http://www.capetribbeach.com.au/cape-tribulation-beach-house-truth-crocodile-attacks/

Just learnt that the CAPE TRIBULATION BEACH HOUSE has taken the above page down. Small wonder as they
insisted in it that their beach was Crocodile "FREE" .

Only a couple of Km between attack site and the Beach House, disgraceful that they can put this sort of outright
cr*p out to non local visitors.

Rant over :)

Ok guys, a QLD title update!
I had some 2nds,3rds & 4ths.
I made the final 6 in the open rip, ran 4th overall.
I was pretty happy with my saws n chains, I personally made a few errors, that cost me better finishes.
Will took out the u100cc post ripping title this year, so a big congrats 2 him.
He also narrowly scored overall points for the day.
We now regroup 4 the national titles to be held in Mt Larcom, north QLD 24th,25th,26th June .

I still cannot believe that damn saw of mine stalled during the roll! But it seems that is what is needed to win, Alan Wooley who won the open post rip title in the next race also had his saw stall during the roll

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Right or wrong, a 661 is off the list. Will try and find someone with a large Stihl or 3120 and see if I can handle it. With any luck it's not too heavy for me and the only thing scarier than the prices of these big saws are the trees I hope will find me out when the universe learns I have a big saw.

What do you think of the merits of an 880 with a coil, intake boot swap and muffler mod?

Anyone with a 3120 ever worried about the limited rpms or no high jet adjustment?
I wouldn't bother. Cuts wood

And I still had to cut it off [emoji35] having a practice a couple of weekends ago, glad I didn't get this during a race!
4700ec2b27f960b1cc5a5404d556bf64.jpg

Kiwibro, you will get used to the heavier saws and be all the better for it, fixed jet on the high is no issue. If you are banging off the limiter just sharpen a bit more aggressive tooth to suit what you are cutting

And I still had to cut it off [emoji35] having a practice a couple of weekends ago, glad I didn't get this during a race!
4700ec2b27f960b1cc5a5404d556bf64.jpg

Kiwibro, you will get used to the heavier saws and be all the better for it, fixed jet on the high is no issue. If you are banging off the limiter just sharpen a bit more aggressive tooth to suit what you are cutting

LOL. Some days it just wont go your way no matter what.

Back