the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think there was remington vacuums and washing machines too, from memory i think the rem chainsaws where a lime green color?

yeah got a few different ones myself, But the W49 Bowie is a favorite, being also what my father carried in nam

I love Tanto style knives. My brother has gone crazy on knives and getting all sorts of wierd and whacky sorts of things. Silly buggar dropped $500 the other week online to bring some in from the US. I told him that he has to be very careful doing that as knife importation laws have changed a lot. Bingo Customs grabbed them! Turns out he has organised some deal that they'll post them back to the seller in the US and he'll give my brother a partial refund combined with a postage and admin charge from Customs. He'll probably drop a few hundred bucks but better than nothing.

yeah post a pic if ya can, we've made a few Machete's out of old duramatic bars ,heavy bastards take a sheeps head clean off

My Uncle makes knives in Adelaide and I'm saving up all the worn out solid bars that come through for him :)
Old leaf springs are meant to be pretty good too from what I've heard. They'd beat the newer machetes hands down. My mate in Tassie dropped a bit of dough on a Cold Steel machete which broke near the handle after the first few whacks. He took it back to the dealer who contacted the importer. Their reply was "Machetes aren't meant to be used for chopping stuff down" when all he was hitting was 1-2" saplings in a creek line. After a bit of a sh*tfight they replaced it but what a lot of people don't realise is most of the well known major knife makers now have a cheaper Chinese/Taiwanese line as well. The good old Buck, Gerber, Boker etc all have a cheaparsed line too now. Quite often resellers will price these right up there with the US made line hoping to catch out people who don't know any better. I've been caught out myself :(

My Uncle makes knives in Adelaide and I'm saving up all the worn out solid bars that come through for him :)
Old leaf springs are meant to be pretty good too from what I've heard. They'd beat the newer machetes hands down. My mate in Tassie dropped a bit of dough on a Cold Steel machete which broke near the handle after the first few whacks. He took it back to the dealer who contacted the importer. Their reply was "Machetes aren't meant to be used for chopping stuff down" when all he was hitting was 1-2" saplings in a creek line. After a bit of a sh*tfight they replaced it but what a lot of people don't realise is most of the well known major knife makers now have a cheaper Chinese/Taiwanese line as well. The good old Buck, Gerber, Boker etc all have a cheaparsed line too now. Quite often resellers will price these right up there with the US made line hoping to catch out people who don't know any better. I've been caught out myself :(

the bastards will have to get out of bed to sell me a knock off , i do have three but i knew what they were and got them for $25 damn good knife for the money. (buck lites)

i have around 10 to 13 buck knives when i can find them 110 112 103 102 119 120 the others i can't remember the numbers also one of the original zippers

i also tracked down some decent leather for the folders

IMG_0237 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0183 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0429 (Small).JPG

and then theres the leather i made my self not pretty but functional

IMG_0344 (Medium).JPG

cheers D PS learning to saddle stitch is a *****

the bastards will have to get out of bed to sell me a knock off , i do have three but i knew what they were and got them for $25 damn good knife for the money. (buck lites)

I got caught out with a Buck early on before I realised they had just gone to a Taiwanese line. It's actually a really good knife though with a Delron handle and I got it cheap because the plastic sheath was cracked.
I also have a Boker folder too but like you knew it was a cheaper line. I just use it for work and it does the job. I also imported some Leatherman folders from the US off eBay which are bloody good knives with awesome steel. No proof they are the lower grade but the price would suggest they were.

Nice work on the leather mate :) Haven't done any leather work since school.

this the best leather work i have done and even managed to stuff up the the backing on the left side mag holder but the positive on that was the textured leather held the mag better when running between targets cal was 45 ACP.

DSCF3292 (Custom).JPG

the wet moulding was easy but me fingers were aching after all that saddle stitching because i use a small awl ..

this the best leather work i have done and even managed to stuff up the the backing on the left side mag holder but the positive on that was the textured leather held the mag better when running between targets cal was 45 ACP.

View attachment 343564

the wet moulding was easy but me fingers were aching after all that saddle stitching because i use a small awl ..

Nice work old son.

Make me a few .44 Mag Speedloader holders :)

Note the "USA" stamped in the steel :)
Just like GB having "Australia" on their bars :D Doesn't mean sh*t...

You mean that GB bars are being stamped out of Chicom City now? Damn... I was hoping the new GB bars would be like the old ones, but I guess not, eh? The GB bars I have were hard to get. I bent one Pro Top bar and then bent back and you cannot tell that it was ever bent! (this is the US meaning of bent, not the UK one, mind you). The spin off of the no longer Baileys shop in Mendocino Co. (Left Coast Supplies) is an importer of GB bars here now.

If you want a good Made in USA knife, get a Kershaw. They are made just south of Portland here in Oregon and they are as sharp a knife as I have ever owned. I have bought a bunch of them over the years, as well as the Alaskan blade trader sets (for gutting and skinning). Sharp enough to shave with (I have done it) and they hold their edge forever.

Kershaw Alasnan set.jpg
Also one of many folders that I have

Kershaw folder.jpg

You mean that GB bars are being stamped out of Chicom City now? Damn... I was hoping the new GB bars would be like the old ones, but I guess not, eh? The GB bars I have were hard to get. I bent one Pro Top bar and then bent back and you cannot tell that it was ever bent! (this is the US meaning of bent, not the UK one, mind you). The spin off of the no longer Baileys shop in Mendocino Co. (Left Coast Supplies) is an importer of GB bars here now.

The jury is out on GB mate. No proof exists yet that they are still being made in Australia. You get the odd guy on the web saying "But this guy said they were still made here". If they are then their quality has dropped and they'd be the only manufacturing left here.
The GB/China theory had been going on for years now and instead of coming out and offering any solid evidence that they are still made here they've remained silent.
A few guys still push their barrow but even they can't offer any solid evidence and some of these claim to be very close to GB (like the US business you mentioned above).

My Katz Skinner.
US design, made in Japan.

uploadfromtaptalk1396998237806.jpg

FWIW we bought a cheap Raco knife block set recently, supposedly Japanese steel, assembled in China and the edges are superb, and the overall construction is very good, nicely finished.
I'm really, really surprised.

sent from a hand held thingy via magic invisible waves......

[Edit. sorry, fevkkng Tapatalk is screwing with my photos....]

FM DEAD ,That's some hold over you putting on them.....................oh I see ,your aiming at that mongrel crow in the tree.

Heh heh. With that amount of holdover I'd have still shot 200m low :D
It took me about 5 minutes of rooting around to get that image focussed properly.

8aqyhu5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back