the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="Creeker, post: 4990399, member:
Here goes...........LOL...........If porting is so bloody good how come saw motors aren't ported in the factory, it can't be that hard in a environment set up to produce thousands of motors on a daily basis ?

Appreciate your input bennie, great stuff :clap:[/QUOTE]

That question has been bandied about for the longest time.
For me i have spent the best part of my adult life on saws, i have never used anything but stock saws in professional log falling, the reason for that these saws must go all day every day in heat and cold.
We use larger saws (90cc and bigger) as anything less is too slow for our needs. (native forest stands).
However in some other countries like the united states, their wood is totaly different and so a different style of operator and saw is used, their way is smaller saws ported to make their job quicker and easier.

The main problem i see is these very forums, guys read up on how someone else does things and think i need to do that too and some think if its not ported it no good. Lets not forget the resident forum porters who do it daily for clients, some no doug't are very good, others just use these forums to blab on and bull sh#t good unsuspecting members who have no idea on whats right or wrong.

i own ported saws too, not for work but for sport, and they all have more than just simple porting done too.

I have a ported and quite loud husky 562 that gets used for feral tree felling. It's about perfect for the job and I have no issue if it's life expectancy is decreased by it being ported (or not, who knows).
I needed to use it in a job near to other humans and thought it would be good to bolt the standard muffler back on. It got so hot in 5 minutes I quickly decided it was a bad idea. I've come to the conclusion that it isn't possible to achieve "legal" noise levels and the airflow requirements of a ported saw.
There are other issues - like the fact that most of the current tuners seem to increase compression AND advance ignition timing. This is a recipe for disaster for a factory saw as it needs to work with any fuel available anywhere in the world.

Besides a loud saw is always faster .................... or so they reakon
I don't know of anyone who thinks that, but until the chainsaw tuning industry steps up to the use of flow benches and dynos then all modified mufflers tend to err on the side of too big rather than too little. Kinda like 30+ years ago in the auto world......

I don't know of anyone who thinks that, but until the chainsaw tuning industry steps up to the use of flow benches and dynos then all modified mufflers tend to err on the side of too big rather than too little. Kinda like 30+ years ago in the auto world......

Well to Joe average and the kids on motorbikes its true

Now mate you shouldn't say that, i have read an interesting article on the man him self where he used to demonstrate log falling with new macs to potensial chainsaw buyers (full time log fallers) in the field.
Showing the whole process of log falling to guys who done it for a living with his new product.

I have also read another article where he used to race and beat log fallers in the bush with ''out of the box 125's with a new chain''against log fallers useing their 090's and their falling chains.
His point was clearly stated Quote '' If i win you buy a new 125 mac at my price and if you win you get a super deal'' .

So Kain, just maybe the man could actually out perform you if given an equal opertunity. ;)

You hear the one about leaving a bar and chain in a tree?

I got a 241 ported for a friend but didn't personally run it. And I have a ported 261 but haven't ran it yet but both are killer ported apparently. Some of us are having a GTG with a melb based porter. ( can't remember his name ) soon maybe he could save you a heap of shipping costs to the USA.
So if u can wait a coupla weeks we can report back on that.

My invite must have got lost in the post hahaha

I here what ya saying Neil. Work saws need to be reliable. Some times slow and steady wins the race.
But it seems 95% of us are just petrol heads / weekend warriors and lucky to clock up 20 hrs a year on their saws.
But porting isn't crap, it's just part of the hobby. It's a bit like my patrol. More boost more fuel. Makes bigger bang , goes faster more torque. But this only works well when a big open exhaust is fitted exhaust gas temps drop heaps , turbo spools faster and makes more boost and farkin flies. I know I have reduced the life expectancy but that's the price I have to pay to enjoy and have fun with it. It's my choice.

There is a thread on here about 066/660 timing numbers through the years. Interestingly the timing numbers from early 066 saws are very close to what is chased by tuners in a modern 660. You'd have to be on stihl's development engineer team to know all the reasons - but emission legislation is a safe guess.
The porting "fad" is a way to get back the performance stolen by emission and noise legislation in some saws. As the factories find better ways to circumvent these legislations it may be something that disappears. Rumour has it a stock 661 and a ported 660 are pretty close in performance - time will tell.

My comments are only in reference to work saws where reliability, fuel consumption, noise, etc are important factors. The gas guzzling pigs that are created in the name of increased performance are different animals again and might as well be piped race saws for all their usefulness in the scrub.

It amazes me of all the comments that are made by hundreds of users who think they know it all but the people who really know their stuff are absent ...... the engineers who design and eventually build these saws and don't get themselves involved in open mindless discussions on the saws pro and con's

I here what ya saying Neil. Work saws need to be reliable. Some times slow and steady wins the race.
But it seems 95% of us are just petrol heads / weekend warriors and lucky to clock up 20 hrs a year on their saws.
But porting isn't crap, it's just part of the hobby. It's a bit like my patrol. More boost more fuel. Makes bigger bang , goes faster more torque. But this only works well when a big open exhaust is fitted exhaust gas temps drop heaps , turbo spools faster and makes more boost and farkin flies. I know I have reduced the life expectancy but that's the price I have to pay to enjoy and have fun with it. It's my choice.

No worries Vince, and hey i have nothing against some one buying or getting a ported smaller saw wether it be for the weekend man or professional, good luck to them if thats what they want.
I don't take offence to anyone who dissagrees with my statement, its simply what i was taught and has worked well for me.

I like saws that perform too, i just like big ones.

Take Widow's 090 and that log he's ripping, do that with a hot saw and it won't survive the 1st rip, not like that 090 of Kains that will keep on sawing long after he's had enough, thats what they were made for. (hard work)

Back