the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You hear the one about leaving a bar and chain in a tree?

Yea i have read that one, thats the one i was talking about with the log falling demonstration.

The other one about the racing 090's against new macs were on the same forum, theres plenty more if you look.

First Summer attempting to clear fell toothpicks off a hillside (coupla Ha) with Dolly and her 20" bar was OK but I'm not strong enough to work even a light for its size dolly around the bush all day every day. Don't mind admitting it but I can't safely handle more than about 5 or 6 hrs a day, every day, with dolly. The next Summer, this time with the 241, it was an entirely different ball game. Man, I kicked arse with that little saw in small trees on steep terrain and could repeat it long day after long day no probs. Actually, I skated very close to illegally felling more than allowed that Summer. Simply because I was having so much fun with the lil' pocket rocket I forgot all about checking how much I had done. Still haven't processed it all yet.
This was before the 241 had even been released in NZ. I love that lil saw.

I don't know of anyone who thinks that, but until the chainsaw tuning industry steps up to the use of flow benches and dynos then all modified mufflers tend to err on the side of too big rather than too little. Kinda like 30+ years ago in the auto world......
unfortunately noise comes with free flowing exhausts. at least on vehicle you have room to experiment with mufflers and pipe dia's chainsaws nope!

460cixy said:

Yea i have read that one, thats the one i was talking about with the log falling demonstration.

More than likely still there waiting on Neil's return just cant remember which tree now but it's out there somewhere just might be rusted way by now who knows

460cixy said:

More than likely still there waiting on Neil's return just cant remember which tree now but it's out there somewhere just might be rusted way by now who knows

Why leave it there only a moron would do that. But my guess is it never happend

I thought the best saw is the one that makes the buyer the most $ net of purchasing and running/repairing costs.
On that basis, it would be my 7900, but glad to see my 241 in Bennn*e's list.

Both bought on Matt's recommendation. He did real good on both counts, chur bro. 'bout the only two times I've listened to him. Might have to make more of a habit of doing so. He couldn't have fluked twice in a row, surely?

Of those reading this who have a ported/modified 241, what work do you recommend and who please? I'm thinking, if $ permits, of getting another 241 and seeing what someone who knows their stuff can do to it.

I have a ported 241C buy Randy and have run another he has done,this would probably my most used saw of them all i seem to use it every day.
They have a lot going for them for a little saw,couldnt be with out it.

Thanks for the informative replies re ported saws, it's the first I have heard about "reduced reliability".

Noise in a logging operation in the bush wouldn't be an issue but any large increase in fuel consumption might be with having to cart extra weight in fuel around all day.

The big capacity enthusiasts ............ tend to agree, however they get heavier as you get older.................

An observation...........A lot of 460 size saws in Vic these days from what I see, it seems as areas get re-harvested (and younger/smaller diameter trees) then the 660 size saw isn't the primary unit. A 660 size saw will be on hand though for the occasional larger tree.

Thanks again, learnt plenty from the replies...............

On annual leave. Had to got pickup the PA for the wedding and then the suits. Then headed up into the hills where Stihl where holding some hands on product training. Nothing big in the way of timber but cool none the less. Played with a few saws I haven't got. MSA 160 T and 200 battery saws. MS 461 and MS 362 C-M and a MS 261 C-M. Tried the new FS 94 brush cutters too, nice and light. Tried two MS 201 T's one with the new flywheel module and carburetter and one with out, wow they have really stepped that saw up straight out of the box. I would happily use one over my 200, quieter too which would make a difference if being used all day. It's deceptively quick where as the 200 with out the sieve has character and is louder which makes it sound 'quicker' just my thoughts but I really enjoyed and was really impressed by it
76dc9f23aa0ef3dd018ee353f2ba87e0.jpg
cd6300e09eda82ba1323043938047182.jpg
cb2920006e655881477df5cc9f2f33d7.jpg

Back