The American chestnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvmcmrhp52

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
American chestnut trees have been all but wiped out in years gone by, but there is a new focus on replanting blight resistant strains with limited sources of planting stock.

We've found a local source for naturally resistant trees, and in fact used to own some property with one lonely, but healthy and mature American chestnut tree in New York state. (so they do exist occasionally)

Is anyone planting and or cultivating these trees?

Do you have any sources of stock?

Would you or have you recommended the planting of blight resistant Chestnut trees to clients?

(we've planted one that is from a local, resistant tree, and are waiting to see the results.)

Thanks.

I have found two in the last 15 years that caught my attention. One was on the eastern devide, Blue Ridge Moutains over looking Stone Moutain NC. It was 30 feet tall an was developing swelling at the base as well as splitting there. I havent been back to it in 7 years? This probly doesnt help you but I wanted to say that I have seen many but only two that were impressive (to me) in size.

The lonely tree I had in New York state, was around 30-40 ft tall, with no taper and aprox. 24" in diameter. It was producing a small quantity of nuts, and I did some light clearing around it. Never got to see the results, but it's the best one I've seen so far.

Supposedly the forester I was working with at the time ,knew of one in a neighboring county that was bigger.

I thought this was an interesting topic so I googled "Blight Resistant American Chestnut trees" to see what was going on in our world. The first article I came across was from Cornell Coooperative Ext planting a commerative tree. I have tried to attach the link. If either of you are in this area, or know of anyone who is, can you drive by this tree and see if it is really volcano mulched???

These trees are reportedly shallow rooted and with the current recommendations of preparing a planting hole wide, not deep, I'm not sure where they came up with a "hearty 3000 lb root system". But that is beside the point.

I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe they planted it really, really high. But...

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/May08/chestnut.html

Sylvia

There is a lot being done by the american chestnut foundation:
http://www.acf.org/find_a_tree.php

they are planting them on reclaimed mine sites in a variety of coal bearing states in the east. research findings are positive. you can get seedlings too, they are actually backcrosses (15/16ths).

I would love to have a big one on my property someday!

found a big american chestnut tree in Tulsa... it throws off fertile nuts... so there much be another chestnut tree close by...

Last edited:
I thought this was an interesting topic so I googled "Blight Resistant American Chestnut trees" to see what was going on in our world. The first article I came across was from Cornell Coooperative Ext planting a commerative tree. I have tried to attach the link. If either of you are in this area, or know of anyone who is, can you drive by this tree and see if it is really volcano mulched???

These trees are reportedly shallow rooted and with the current recommendations of preparing a planting hole wide, not deep, I'm not sure where they came up with a "hearty 3000 lb root system". But that is beside the point.

I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe they planted it really, really high. But...

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/May08/chestnut.html

Sylvia

Looks like the politicians planted that one.:(

There is a lot being done by the american chestnut foundation:
http://www.acf.org/find_a_tree.php

they are planting them on reclaimed mine sites in a variety of coal bearing states in the east. research findings are positive. you can get seedlings too, they are actually backcrosses (15/16ths).

I would love to have a big one on my property someday!

Ya, the chestnut foundation is really pushing it, and with good cause.

found a big american chestnut tree in Tulsa... it throws off fertile nuts... so there much be another chestnut tree close by...

Maybe you should check that tree for blight, and if it's clean, plant some of those nuts.:clap:

it's clean .. no blight... yes... those nuts should be planted

spoke with the american chestnut foundation.... seems there's 2-3 surviving mature trees in most every state.

seems the tulsa tree is blight resistant... there were many chestnut trees in tulsa at one time....

Maybe you should check that tree for blight, and if it's clean, plant some of those nuts.:clap:

it's clean .. no blight... yes... those nuts should be planted

spoke with the american chestnut foundation.... seems there's 2-3 surviving mature trees in most every state.

seems the tulsa tree is blight resistant... there were many chestnut trees in tulsa at one time....

The American co Champions are/were in Washington, as there were never many chesnut out here, I believe because the blight never made it--kinda like it took ages for DED to make it to the PNW. Well, it's here, and killing elms like crazy.

I said "were" because, in 2002, I took photos of one of the champ chesnuts, which was 75% dead at that time. In a rural setting, and I didn't talk to anyone as to what was killing it....blight, don't know? An awesome tree in its day, close to 90 feet wide by tall, and 7 feet on the butt....

Blight Dormancy?

Forgive my ignorance -

Does anyone know how long the blight can remain viable? I'm wondering if the "resistant" trees are not resistant - just never actually had contact with the blight. How can a tree be tested for resistance? If the blight-stricken areas were not near enough to certain trees, does or can it go dormant? If we begin propagating these trees, could the blight come out of dormancy, and kill the remaining specimens that weren't really resistant?

Forgive my ignorance -

Does anyone know how long the blight can remain viable? I'm wondering if the "resistant" trees are not resistant - just never actually had contact with the blight. How can a tree be tested for resistance? If the blight-stricken areas were not near enough to certain trees, does or can it go dormant? If we begin propagating these trees, could the blight come out of dormancy, and kill the remaining specimens that weren't really resistant?

I understand Oak trees are carriers for the blight that affects the Amercian Chestnut trees.

We have a small grove on our place. They get to about 6" dbh and die off. They do produce fertile nuts. So far, all are pretty rough looking.

Forgive my ignorance -

The blight fungus doesn't need chestnut trees to survive. I survives just fine as a saprophyte, living in woodpiles and whatnot, and it is now apparently well-entrenched throughout the native range of the chestnut.

A popular misconception evident in this thread is that some native trees are actually blight resistant. Your speculation that such trees simply never were attacked by the blight is almost certainly correct. The American Chestnut Foundation, which is running a giant breeding program in a number of Eastern states, never talks about natural resistance to the blight. The breeding program depends, in fact, on the relatively low probability that any particular tree will succumb to the blight in any particular year. Most of the trees in a breeding orchard will survive the 6 or 8 years necessary to reach maturity and start setting fruit.

Part of the breeding program involves challenging mature trees with the blight by directly innoculating them through a small hole bored in the trunk. Pure American trees never survive this treatment even though their parents were the best natural specimens that could be found in the wild.

I am growing a few in my yard in the hopes that a couple may reach 10 years of age, reach the size of an apple tree, and give me several crops of nuts.

I, too, had heard that "resistance" in some C. dentata was more a matter of being isolated from the causal fungus. These questions had me reaching for Sinclair's Diseases of Trees and Shrubs.

Evidently, when a limb or tree dies, the fungus grows into bark beyond the lesion and sporulates there as a saprobe for 2 years or longer. Certainly in that time insects and birds (which are typical airborne vectors) can spread the fungus even further afield. This in addition to other susceptible species in the Fagaceae family.

Chestnut trees resist Cryphonectria parasitica in several ways. (Again, from Sinclair). Their bark produces chitinases and enzyme inhibitors that suppress the parasite, forming a zone of lignified cells and subsequently a cork barrier around a lesion. These responses proceed faster and more effectively in resistant than in highly susceptible trees. In resistant plants, this fungus causes most damage to those trees which are stressed. So we shouldn't confuse "resistant" with "immune". They are simply able to survive the attack.

Resistance in the Chinese chestnut is apparently controlled by two unlinked genes. Breeders are obtaining resistant hybrids, transferring resistance genes into the genetic background of American chestnut by producing successive backcross generations. They are anticipating producing seeds adapted to various geographic regions by 2015.

There is also a cross, the Dunstan Hybrid chestnut, which has been under development since the 50s. They are apparently still blight-free and producing crops of sweet nuts. This at Chestnut Hill Nursery in Alachua, FL.

Sylvia

Last edited:
hmmm interesting theory.... that ALL American chestnut tree have zero blight resistance...

the blight free tree in Tulsa is mature ... good sized... throwing off fertile nuts and surrounded by mature oak trees.

it'd be hard to imagine how this tree managed to stay isolated from blight with all the oak around it.

it's a fact tulsa.. used to have all sorts of chestnut trees... they all died off except for this one and one other one close-by. there may be others in the tulsa area, but I'm not aware of it....

The blight fungus doesn't need chestnut trees to survive. I survives just fine as a saprophyte, living in woodpiles and whatnot, and it is now apparently well-entrenched throughout the native range of the chestnut.

A popular misconception evident in this thread is that some native trees are actually blight resistant. Your speculation that such trees simply never were attacked by the blight is almost certainly correct. The American Chestnut Foundation, which is running a giant breeding program in a number of Eastern states, never talks about natural resistance to the blight. The breeding program depends, in fact, on the relatively low probability that any particular tree will succumb to the blight in any particular year. Most of the trees in a breeding orchard will survive the 6 or 8 years necessary to reach maturity and start setting fruit.

Part of the breeding program involves challenging mature trees with the blight by directly innoculating them through a small hole bored in the trunk. Pure American trees never survive this treatment even though their parents were the best natural specimens that could be found in the wild.

I am growing a few in my yard in the hopes that a couple may reach 10 years of age, reach the size of an apple tree, and give me several crops of nuts.

American chestnut trees have been all but wiped out in years gone by, but there is a new focus on replanting blight resistant strains with limited sources of planting stock.

We've found a local source for naturally resistant trees, and in fact used to own some property with one lonely, but healthy and mature American chestnut tree in New York state. (so they do exist occasionally)

Is anyone planting and or cultivating these trees?

Do you have any sources of stock?

Would you or have you recommended the planting of blight resistant Chestnut trees to clients?

(we've planted one that is from a local, resistant tree, and are waiting to see the results.)

Thanks.

You may want to poke around the Ohio DNR website. There was talk about a nursery in a north central state park. Dont know what came out of it.

...So we shouldn't confuse "resistant" with "immune". They are simply able to survive the attack.
Sylvia

This is probably the right way to say it. Some trees succumb more rapidly than others, and so may be slightly more resistant. Big healthy trees, on the other hand, have probably never been attacked. The best evidence that American trees cannot survive an attack is the experience of the breeding program. Challenged trees are evaluated a few months after innoculation to see how large the canker has grown. Pure Chinese trees are the best--the canker remains small and the tree walls off the fungus. Pure American trees are worst--the canker is much larger and doesn't stop expanding. Hybrids can fall anywhere between the two. The best hybrids are assumed to still have both (or maybe 3) resistance genes donated by the original Chinese ancestor, but hybrid resistance, as one might expect, is never as good as that in a pure Chinese tree. The best hybrid, after all, has only half the resistance genes of a pure Chinese tree, as the other half came from the American parent.

hmmm interesting theory.... that ALL American chestnut tree have zero blight resistance...

it'd be hard to imagine how this tree managed to stay isolated from blight with all the oak around it...

It probably didn't stay isolated, it just wasn't attacked. I got to walk around a breeding orchard in Maine last fall with some of the folks from the Maine chapter of TACF and with Dr. Fred Hebard, the chief scientist working on the recovery program. His quick eye picked out a blighted branchlet on a little 10-foot tree, and he cut it off with a pocket knife. Red fruiting bodies from the fungus were plainly visible on the bark of the afflicted branch. But he treated the episode as perfectly normal and showed no concern for the fate of the rest of the trees. The blight is everywhere, as the TACF people tell me. Apparently it is not that easy for the fungus to get underneath the bark and begin its attack. This will happen to only a small proportion of trees in any given year--if this were not true the breeding orchards could never produce fruiting trees. A lucky tree can make it for 30 years or more. But if the fungus does establish itself under the bark, the tree will succumb just like any other. It's all a matter of when your number comes up.

Latest posts

Back