The Art Martin Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this dang puter lds that stuff so slow.
it take me all day to watch it. wonder if i put it on disk and just completly wiped it clean,if it would work faster. i know just buy a new puter ,,tony.:)

Thanks to both Doug and Art. Those videos are most enjoyable to watch. Can't wait for the commentary. Keep it coming. John

Originally posted by woodbeard
And hopefully without the inevitable thread killers.
Man, I'm gonna have to break down and get me a better internet connection now. :D

It IS worth it. I watched em all within 5 min. :)

Now, back on topic!:blob2:

Originally posted by Darin
I don't know who closed it. That is a great question. I think I can reopen it. Should we?

Wasn`t me, unless I somehow did something I`m unaware of, LOL.

Russ

How come there aint no sound on the first 13 or so of these videos? I still LOVE watching those monster trees go down and the hotsaw competitions. I thank you and Art Martin for the GREAT videos. keep em comin, I'll keep watchin em.

The original woods pictures were done with an 8mm film movie camera 40 years ago. No sound. The later competition clips were video which had an audio track.

Oh, I understand now, Thanks for clearing that one up for me. I didnt know much about Art Martin before I joined this forum but from what I've already learned he is a man worthy of my respect and attention. I never did use 8mm video cameras but I have heard of them, I thank god for modern technology now because we have things like lighter weight saws, more power from less engine, digital cameras, and most important of all those like Art who share their memories of the years past when things were more interesting and sometimes more hazardous. Thanks for the blast fro mthe past Art, I needed it. and thanks dbabcock for helping share these blasts from the past with us.

Hey Cary,

I get less latency at V.34 on my V.34 USR modem then I do at V.34 on my V.90 USR modem, but the least is at V.90 -- still maddening though.

I had wget fetch the files for me this morning.  38,668,288 bytes over 2 hours, 8 minutes, 25 seconds.  4.9_KB/s, yee-haw!

Nice work Doug, thank you, and you Art.

Glen

CLIPS 1 AND 2

The tree in clips one and two was located on the North Fork of Ten Mile River, which is about 30 miles north of Fort Bragg. The tree in the clip was almost 13 feet in diameter (circumference of 39 feet) and over 200 feet long. It had over 65,000 board feet (Spaulding scale) that is enough to build six medium size homes. We used 100 ton hydraulic jacks to tip it over. The company I worked for was the Union Lumber Company. It was established by C.R. Johnson in 1855. The Company owned thousands of acres of virgin timber in Mendocino County. The sawmill was located in Fort Bragg. At one time, the Company employed approximately 1,500 people. The mill’s output of lumber was mainly Redwood and Douglas Fir. The Johnson family owned the company until the mid-1960s when it was purchased by Boise Cascade. Later on it was purchased by Georgia-Pacific. That company closed the mill in October 2002. It was an end of an era in Fort Bragg. The mill is gone, as is the logger of big trees in Mendocino County.

For many years, the sawed lumber was transported on schooners. Loading the lumber onboard was a very treacherous job. Quite often, the straps holding the loads would snap and a whole load of lumber would fall into the water. When a schooner came into Noyo Bay and tied up to the log floats, the town’s people would line the banks to watch the large stacks of lumber being loaded. I remember, even as a child, how dangerous it looked when some hardy men would ride on top of the load of lumber down to the ship. The Pacific Ocean is very unstable at different times of the year. The schooner company would lose a ship now and then due to the unpredictable change in the weather which would cause shifting of the lumber in the hull. Sometimes, when a ship went down, lumber was strewn all over the rocks and beaches. People would go and salvage as much as they could to bring home. The ships usually were based in San Francisco and would travel up and down the coast to the different ports. Almost all of the major rivers had a mill with a log pond. The logs would end their journey down the river and end up in the log pond waiting to be sawed into lumber.

Art Martin

Once again, thanks for bringing more of your past to us. All the history from the other thread, and now this is always great. I will never see trees that large being cut down. I really wouldnt want to either at this point, because there are so few, but to watch the technique and to see one come down like that is something I appreciate to see.

Thanks to you to Doug for taking the time to convert and post them. Will keep watching! Yeah the sound threw me of too for a second, modern day stuff spoils ya!

Clip 4

Although, by today’s standards, the tree in this clip is relatively large, in those days it was considered small. The company policy was that Redwoods 6 feet in diameter at chest height (D.C.H.) were the smallest that we could fall. However, there was an exception to this rule. It was acceptable to fall a smaller tree if it was needed to be used as a bearing to support a larger tree. The smaller tree would be felled crosswise into a low area and it would then support the bigger tree as it spanned the gap to prevent breakage when it fell. Douglas Fir had to be at least 4 feet D.C.H.

The “gunning sticks” were used to “aim” where the tree was to fall. The faller aimed with the “gunning sticks” at the “lay-out”, then his partner made a chalk mark on the bark at the tips on both sides of the tree. Then the undercut was sawed to each mark giving an accurate front line edge for sawing. The tree fell at 90° to this cut. The “gunning sticks” were also used to ensure that the bottom cut of the under cut was level with the tree. This was done by aiming up the tree and marking at both ends of the stick. If an undercut is not level to the tree, the tree will always pull to the side on which the undercut is higher.

Art Martin

Clips 5 and 6

The big tree shown in clips 5 and 6 was one of two large trees adjacent to each other. They were located in the Branscomb area, about 30 miles North of Fort Bragg. The area was flat and actually had a county road through the grove of trees leading to some residences farther up the road. For some reason, the company wanted a small area of about 25 acres cleared. A bulldozer was brought to stand-by so the road could be cleared as soon as the trees were felled and bucked up. The tree shown was about 12 feet in diameter and about 200 feel tall.

In Clip 7 I’m throwing the axe in a show in Sonora, California. Sonora is located in the Sierra foothills.

Clip 8 shows two other contestants who competed around the time I was competing.

Clip 9 was taken in Fort Bragg and shows me running a West Bend with a 36” bar. I was using regular gas with dual carbs at that time.

Clip 10 shows me making a cut with a piped West Bend and using alcohol. This was also taken at a show in Sonora.

Clip 11 shows another contestant running a piped West Bend also using alcohol. This was also in Sonora.

Art Martin

Thanks to Art and Dbabcock.
Thats some awesome video. Being from the east, I have never seen trees that large felled. Some true craftsmanship.
Art,
Thanks for the description of the clips.
I really liked watching them and then reading them.
Hunter

I've never seen trees that big let alone seen them go down. They are of amazing size though, a sawmilling mans dream in my book. Gimme a pair of Stihl 090G saws and a few 12 foot double ender bars its time fer somew sawin.

Clips 12, 13, and 14 are the most interesting and that is why I included them in this series.

Clip 12 shows Jon Rupley using my 090 with a full house chain. He screwed up on the starting because he doesn’t practice it. The interesting thing is that his cutting time, when the chain hits the wood, and when the last cut is severed, was 4.78 secs. His total time was 7.34 secs. So that means it took him 2.56 secs to start the saw and get it to the wood. Also, in the up cut he lost a few hundreds of a second when the saw pushed him back almost out of the cut and was cutting with the roller tip, which is slower. One other interesting thing is that the Fort Bragg logging show has had a hot start for forty years but was changed for an advantage for those who need an edge.

Clip 13 shows Dennis Harvey on the left side and Tommy Fales on the right. Dennis is one of the top contestants in cold starts, in fact he holds the world record in Albany, Oregon. His actual cutting time was 7.74 secs, and his total time was 11:10 secs so it took him 3.36 secs to start the saw and get it to the wood. On the right side is Fales. His actual cutting time was 5.28 secs. His total time was 6.20 secs. It took him .92 secs to start and get the saw into the wood.

Clip 14 shows Jim Taylor on the left. His actual cutting time was 5.05 secs. His total time was 6.26 secs. It took him 1.21 secs to start and get his saw to the wood.

The person on the far right, I believe, was Mike Sullivan. His time was slow.

Again, these are the times of the contestants in the clip.

Jon Rupley
Total Time: 7.34 secs.
Cutting time: 4.78 secs.

Tommy Fales
Total Time: 6.20 secs.
Cutting time: 5.28 secs.

Jim Taylor
Total Time: 6:26 secs.
Cutting time: 5:05 secs.

Dennis Harvey
Total Time: 11:10 secs.
Cutting time: 7:74 secs.

This video clearly shows that if a full house chain is made correctly, it will cut fast. If it is made incorrectly, it is slow. I know what makes it work and yet, there are those who have tried it and say it is a waste of time. If it is not done correctly, then it is a waste of time regardless how famous you are.. I will share my procedure selectively on a private basis, otherwise some of the less credible people will say they invented it.

I would like someone to explain to me why starting the saw should be added to the cutting time.

There have been some negative comments about the full house race chain. Those who have made the comments apparently didn’t do the research that I did before beginning this big task. Their conclusions were made without a fair evaluation of a correctly finished product. The conclusion I came to from my full house chain was that if it is used on an 8X8”, 10X10”, 12X12” cants, with the proper saw sprocket and operator, that it was almost unbeatable.

Some of the comments I am referring to are:

Originally posted by Dennis Cahoon, 01-20-2004 02:49 PM, Page 9 of Full House Chain Thread

"Unlike most in this thread I have built full house chain. They didn't cut any faster than my full comp. and it was a lot more work to build. "

Originally posted by Dennis Cahoon. 01-21-2004 12:02 AM Page 9 of Full House Chain Thread

"What part of, “They didn’t cut any faster than my full comp, and it was a lot more work to build” did you not understand?"

Originally posted by Dennis Cahoon, 01-24-2004 07:13 AM, Page 11 of Full House Chain Thread

"And why would I want to look at your Full House Chain? I told you it doesn't cut any faster and it's way to much work to build. I wouldn't use it and none of the TimberSport guys I know use it either. Dennis"

Originally posted by Dennis Cahoon, 01-25-2004 12:47 AM, Page 13 of Full House Chain Thread

"Ed, you know that nobody uses full house chain, and so do I. It's not a new concept, and if it was worth using, the big boys would be using it".

Originally posted by ehp, 01-25-2004 7:23 AM, Page 13 of Full House Chain Thread

"if it worked i am sure Harry B,Melvin L , the cogars, Jerry G, Gaston D, Cliff H , myself and alot of other guys would be using it,"

Art Martin

A while back Walt Galer posted that there wasn't a chain built that couldn't be beat, he proved it by losing to an Art Martin chain. As a result of this Walt took such a ration of B/S that he left. This was a sad day for Arboristsite. Walt would share his knowledge and learn from others , beacuse of the B/S we lost him. The whole deal about who builds the fastest whatever is moot. I am willing to bet that in the bike motor saws that the difference in the fastest and slowest saws at any event isn't just the chain. And the winner of the day would still be near the top if he used the losers chain. At Dans' I put a "race" chain and bar on my 7900, it didn't make up for my stock saw (at the time) or the fact that I am not a racer. Chain isn't everything.

Latest posts

Back