The Art Martin Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sedanman,
We are not going to make the same mistake twice. Goodbye mommy and Cahoon. Just too much of a pain in the butt for me. Please don't call. I am not interested and am too busy.

Originally posted by Darin
Sedanman,
We are not going to make the same mistake twice. Goodbye mommy and Cahoon. Just too much of a pain in the butt for me. Please don't call. I am not interested and am too busy.

It's about time.

Thank you.

:)

Question for Art. What length did you buck those big trees to when they were down? Did you skid them or somehow load them for the trip to the mill? Was the mill a circle saw or a band saw mill? I found a old piece of saw band that was at least six inches wide.

Deadtrees,

I was hoping Doug could display clip #3, it shows me bucking the first cut. The top of the log was over 6’ above my head. The trees on the clips were so big that extra caution was required to make sure the cuts were square with the tree. It takes a lot of experience to match up the cuts when sawing from both sides with a 7’ bar. The first log on both trees was 16’ with 6” trim allowance. The rest were 20’ with 6” trim allowance. The very top logs were whatever length came out. Starting at the minimum of 16’ (i.e., 16’, 20’, 24’, 32’ etc.). The company didn’t want odd length logs (i.e., 22’, 26’ 28’ for example) since they could only handle 24’ logs on the carriage in the mill. When the log lengths were 32’, the 1 ½’ was added for trim.

The logging crew came in and used dozers and what they called “wheel cats” to remove the logs from where they were felled and skidded to the landing for loading onto to trucks. The company had private roads and their trucks had 14’ bunks to carry out these enormous loads.

When falling large Douglas Fir trees, they were to be bucked in 8’ increments starting with 16’, 24’, 32’, 40’, plus trim, etc. When the log was 40’, then you had to add 4’ trim making it 44’ since that much was needed at the plyboard mill. There they were reduced to 8’ lengths to fit their lathes and made into veneer.

The big mill in Fort Bragg used large band saws. These band saws blades were really wide, at least a foot or more, and had teeth on both sides so the saws cut going forward and backward on the carriage.

Art Martin

Hopefully you will all back me up with this. Choppermom, feels she didn't do anything wrong. She says she is just rough around the edges. This is fine. I told both her and Dennis I was tired of how rude they were. Everyone knows you can ask a question with out attacking them. She is thouroughly convinced that is not Art. I relize there is bad blood between the two families. She is concerned that Art should not be portrayed as a god as she thinks he is a liar. She is going to complain to the sponsors now. I just want you all to know. I don't know these people (Dennis or Choppermom). I want you all to know that, they have been a thorn in my side for a very long time. I think the problems they have caused, have kept members from signing up and from continuing to be members. I am not saying they are right or wrong, they are just plain rude. Being a member here isn't a given, it is a privelge. To continue to make this site a better place, I have to get rid of problem makers. Art is more than willing to help anyone. I never heard any helping words come out of their mouth. It was like they were policing the site making sure Art didn't say anything about their family or friends. Sorry guys, it's just to better the site.
Darin

Sounds to me like the Fales family gets all up tight when someone else whats to give out info or talk about certain things. Afraid your going to say something that makes them look bad.

They are god! :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can edit the #3 clip down to acceptable AS size tonight, Art.

Darin,
This is your site. You don't need any "backup" from anyone. Cahoon and Co. are all boring, infantile and trivial as far as I'm concerned. If your sponsors raise the issue, just let them have a look at some of these idiots' posts. Time and time again they've had their chance. F#@k 'em, Danno.

By the way, why not get all these posts that don't have anything to do with Art's videos off of this thread so people don't have to be reminded of them everytime the want to view and interact with quality stuff.

Originally posted by dbabcock

By the way, why not get all these posts that don't have anything to do with Art's videos off of this thread so people don't have to be reminded of them everytime the want to view and interact with quality stuff.

I second that emotion.

Originally posted by dbabcock

Darin,
This is your site. You don't need any "backup" from anyone. Cahoon and Co. are all boring, infantile and trivial as far as I'm concerned. If your sponsors raise the issue, just let them have a look at some of these idiots' posts. Time and time again they've had their chance. F#@k 'em, Danno.

Ditto!

IM FAILY NEW HERE SO IM NOT SURE WHAT ALL OF THE NAME CALLING AND DOWN PLAY ARE ABOUT. BUT FROM MY PROSPECTIVE, I DEAL WITH PI$$ POOR ATTITUDES ALL DAY LONG AT WORK. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING IT HERE. I HAVE LEARNED A TON OF GREAT INFO AND HAD SOM GOOD LAUGHS FROM YOU GUYS. ITS FUN TO SEE THE VIDS AND PICS AND TO BE AROUND A GROUP OF GOOD OL' BOYS. THANKS TO ART AND ALL OF THE OTHERS FOR THE LOADS OF INFO AND FUN! KEEP IT COMING! I WANNA SEE MORE!
B

Ruger, Thanks for what you said. Please don't type in all caps. In computer it is considered yelling. Darin

Art, thank you for kindly sharing your knowledge of logging and chain building. It is appreciated by all on this site. Thanks to Doug also for posting the videos.

Darin, you did the right thing. Mom is going to complain to the sponsors? Let her. I doubt any of the sponsors will actually care.
Arborisiters ultimately pay the sponsors, so follow the money. Sponsors will side with the rest of us or lose business. How much does rJ saleF , rekiB moM or sinneD noohaC spend with the sponsors?

Darin, you're not worried that Big Cicero is going to cancel sponsorship are you? :D

I think we can all relax and let things calm down a bit. No, Art is not God but he seems like an awful nice fellow with a lot of good stories, info. and videos. And he doesn't mind sharing either. Does that make him a patron saint? :D Heck forget it. Lets get back to this thread without the faled interuptions. Take it easy. John

Like I said befofe Darin this is your saloon, you make the rules and we can follow them or leave. This is a great site and I spend way too much time here. I really do like Uncle Art's posts, a wealth of history and info. You done good [Miss Kitty], thanks.

Well I guess this is Darin's saloon and Russ is Festus so I just want to know, is Darin Miss Kitty or Marshall Dillion? Who's Chester?

Hey Babs, have you got any more video? Sure would like to watch more action and get some more commentary from Art.
Thanks again guys for all the wonderful footage and stories.

Take it easy. John

Good stuff, Maynard. This is a rockin good thread, and I appreciate the info that Art has to share -

Keep it coming!:D :D

Thanks for the great thread Babcock, I already knew Art was an original bada$$ though.

Back