The beginnings of another MS440/460 Hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was the day. I had several saws to do before this one and finally got around to modding it this afternoon. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. As these hybrids always do, this baby loves to rev! I tuned it in the cut, then tached it and found it was turning 16,ooo! I fattened it up to 15,500, and it actually 4-strokes in the cut. These things have to be the ultimate hotrod. Crazy RPMs and loads of torque to go with it. What's not to like?!!!

Tuned to 16,000

Tuned to 15,500

I would if I could! While 460 and 461s make great RPMs, they're not quite to the level of these hybrids. It would be fun to do another comparison sometime.

I bet the 461 would walk away from these hybrids with bigger bars buried when i push on em' , the torque this 461 makes that you did is incredible..ill never part with this saw.

When my eyes were young and I did not need a scope, the 71 was my favorite. Took my 1st 3 deer with it.
This one is the carbine. Graduation gift in 42. First shot in 46. After the War was over.
I'd watched this one for years. In Gun Divest and Pennsylvania Game News.
I have the correct peep.
Also have a Stith with an Alaskan for later. Lol
I hope to harvest a buffalo next year.
It's one game animal the original owner wanted to harvest and never did.
Not that he didn't hunt. He wore out a Buhmiller built 338 WinMag. Shot the barrel out.

This one is the carbine. Graduation gift in 42. First shot in 46. After the War was over.
I'd watched this one for years. In Gun Divest and Pennsylvania Game News.
I have the correct peep.
Also have a Stith with an Alaskan for later. Lol
I hope to harvest a buffalo next year.
It's one game animal the original owner wanted to harvest and never did.
Not that he didn't hunt. He wore out a Buhmiller built 338 WinMag. Shot the barrel out.

I got mine in a gunstore near Rochester NY when I was up at school in the early 70s. The orig owner had passed, and it was on consignment. It is a deluxe rifle with period correct engraving (correct for an 86, no 71s were factory engraved). Picked it up for $325 and was offered $1,000 a year later, but I still have it.

I'll bet that carbine bites in both directions! I handload it with 60 gr of IMR 4350 with a Hornady 200 gr bullet. Used to ignite it with the Win 120 primers when they made them. Mine does not have a peep (wish it did), but on a few good days I have shot 5 shot 2" groups with it at 100 yds.

I know Winchester only continued making ammo for it because it remained popular in Alaska.

I got mine in a gunstore near Rochester NY when I was up at school in the early 70s. The orig owner had passed, and it was on consignment. It is a deluxe rifle with period correct engraving (correct for an 86, no 71s were factory engraved). Picked it up for $325 and was offered $1,000 a year later, but I still have it.

I'll bet that carbine bites in both directions! I handload it with 60 gr of IMR 4350 with a Hornady 200 gr bullet. Used to ignite it with the Win 120 primers when they made them. Mine does not have a peep (wish it did), but on a few good days I have shot 5 shot 2" groups with it at 100 yds.

I know Winchester only continued making ammo for it because it remained popular in Alaska.
It's got the Whelen stock. Not bad.
And I built heavy hitters for a few years. Ya get used to it.
It can still make you so you can't hit. But you get used to it.

I'd drive a couple of hours to see that 71. I don't see nice guns like I used to. Back in the 80s I was a regular at the Great Western. Eight miles of tables and no "crafts"
My 71 has been hunted a LOT.
Logging camps out west in the 40s. When the choises were Mall and Disston.
If this gun could talk. Lol

Today was the day. I had several saws to do before this one and finally got around to modding it this afternoon. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. As these hybrids always do, this baby loves to rev! I tuned it in the cut, then tached it and found it was turning 16,ooo! I fattened it up to 15,500, and it actually 4-strokes in the cut. These things have to be the ultimate hotrod. Crazy RPMs and loads of torque to go with it. What's not to like?!!!

Tuned to 16,000

Tuned to 15,500

Awesome!

Tuned to 16,000

Tuned to 15,500

Great job yet again Brad...:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back