the best rope to use to tie your french prusic, Vt or distle hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james henry

Reaction score
what is the best rope to use to tie your french prusic, Vt or distle hitch. Some thing thats not going glaze over so fast or some thing that does not cost 22.00 dollars per line. Thanks James

I don`t know if it`s the best but the eye and eye prusik cord from Sherrill has worked well for me.

eyeyprus.jpg

I like the tenex too. Easy to splice, and .32 a foot at http://www.SeaMar.com. I just gotta get the starting length down right. Close, but no cigar right now. they are either too long or too short. The former makes them slippery, the latter useless.

I may try accesory cord with fisherman's knots for the heck of it though.

the pic that keven shows is 3/8 tenex.

Accesory is any smaller dia. cord that is not used for the actual climbing.

tress cords, and prussic loops should be a smaller dia. then the climbing line.

Tenex is a Samsom brand of a coated poly hollow braid.

8mm T-900 is an excelent choice for this cordage too, being that it's sheath is poly. But i could only find it on the web for 1.30 a foot.

I could not find Ultra Tech prices

Yes, Nick. Most of us are well aware (or should be) that static lines are not to be used for lifelines. This is not for that application. This is for a prussic loop (I certainly hope I didn't mis-spell that). Static line is perfectly suitable for prussic loops and advanced friction hitch apps.

Sure. I'm confused though.... Do people use Double Braid for their hitches? An eye-to-eye would be impossible for something that short. Double fisherman's? I'm bewildered in Wonderland.

Nickrosis

Originally posted by Kevin
I don`t know if it`s the best but the eye and eye prusik cord from Sherrill has worked well for me.

eyeyprus.jpg

Kevin-
I think this is what James was referring to as the $22 rope. What type of rope is it? How long is it? Sherrill's site doesn't say.

Sherril eye and eye- about 24 inches...(Tenex)

The hollow braid tenex is close to 1/2 inch after splicing which makes it much fatter. I dont like it for the schwabisch or distel, but now use mine for a friction saver. I am using 3/8 double braid for all of the knots in question, as well as ultratech for the Vt only. I make my 3/8 db hitches with a double or preferably triple fisherman's.

Based on the various responses here and the same question posted on another site, I'm going to swing by the indoor rock climbing place down the road tonight and see what they have. 4 feet of rope can't cost very much, and I can see how a smaller diameter line handles.
I've started using the Distel since going to a split system a couple weeks ago, and like how it handles. But from what I can see, the advanced hitches are the ONLY advantage of using a split system. If an open prussic hitch worked this well, I'd still be using the tail of my lifeline (old fashioned way).
Unless you find a local supplier or buy a large quantity, your ST rope is going to be fairly pricey per foot. That's why I'm going to look locally first.

(8:25PM- Just got back from Aguille rock climbing and they only had accessory cord sold by the foot. Still looking.)

Last edited:
Re: Sherril eye and eye- about 24 inches...(Tenex)

Originally posted by rbtree
I am using 3/8 double braid for all of the knots in question, as well as ultratech for the Vt only.

I don't believe this. Double braid????

Nickrosis

165, To me the big advantage of the split tail system lies in the ability to use the climbing line as a second lanyard/move your tie in point easily. The advanced hitches ARE nice too of course.

What size acc.cord did they have-you can use some of the larger stuff (7mm and above) for tress cords if it is rated high enough.

Originally posted by Stumper
165, To me the big advantage of the split tail system lies in the ability to use the climbing line as a second lanyard/move your tie in point easily. The advanced hitches ARE nice too of course.

Well, until I get faster opening and closing biners, moving my tie-in is not measurably faster than untying/retying my old hitch. It also takes me longer to get started up a tree because I have 3X as much stuff to set before climbing*. I wish I could use the Distel hitch without needing $100 worth of biners and split tails. Progress is expensive!! :p

*- My own personal opinion, 2 biners 3 rope attachment points and hitch vs 1 clip, one knot and one hitch
(Sorry for drifting off topic) :eek:

Yep, nick, and the same size works equally well for the Vt or Schw. pr, /Dis. hitches. Mark Chisholm uses the same stuff as me. It is super cheap, plenty strong, and stiffer than the tenex. Tom D uses it also, methinx. I do want some of the new 24 strand ultratech tho....

Brian, I dont know how soon I'll get down to my source, but I'll get you some 3/8 db for under .30 per foot, it works great. And if anyone wants some very nice big stainless steel biners for 10.95, a store nearby may have some left!!! I can also get Puget Sound Ropes throw line cheaply, that is much like zing-it, and zing it itself for $80 for 1000 feet.

Latest posts

Back