The Bicycle Powered Log Splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Or:

What is designed by a "Low-Tech" aficionado who isn't really familiar with the job they're trying solve:

6a00e0099229e88833014e87da608b970d-700wi

Low-tech Magazine: Pedal powered farms and factories: the forgotten future of the stationary bicycle

Mainly I got a chuckle out of using a bicycle & hydraulic pumps and motors as "Low-tech" ... to perform a job best suited for an ax.

But they do get a B for creativity. (I don't give out A's too often.)

Looks pretty cool for someone with arm, wrist or shoulder issues, and/or someone who wanted to "hand split" but lacked a lot of upper body strength and coordination.

Also, no external fuel source needed but lunch!

Unfortunately, they get an F in engineering. This MIGHT be workable with a kinetic splitter (MIGHT - I'll say it again), but assuming a pump small enough for a human to power (at a 3:1 or so geared increase), it's gonna have a 5 minute or so cycle time.

Unfortunately, they get an F in engineering. This MIGHT be workable with a kinetic splitter (MIGHT - I'll say it again), but assuming a pump small enough for a human to power (at a 3:1 or so geared increase), it's gonna have a 5 minute or so cycle time.

I'd guess way over that. total effort expended will be mega times the energy to just swing an ax or maul.

Harry K

The Amish are smart enought to get a much bigger pump and hook a team of horses to it.

David

The Amish are smart enought to get a much bigger pump and hook a team of horses to it.

David

Nah, they're MUCH smarter then to waste money on a hydraulic pump to do a flywheel's job.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IcirMxYtAO8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sort of like Steve's *might* be able to bicycle power a kinetic splitter...I was wondering if you could bike power a cordwood saw if you had a big enough flywheel to store energy between cuts. Still don't think you'd come close to the "cycle time" you could with a horse powered one though.

Or:

What is designed by a "Low-Tech" aficionado who isn't really familiar with the job they're trying solve:

6a00e0099229e88833014e87da608b970d-700wi

Low-tech Magazine: Pedal powered farms and factories: the forgotten future of the stationary bicycle

Mainly I got a chuckle out of using a bicycle & hydraulic pumps and motors as "Low-tech" ... to perform a job best suited for an ax.

If you haven't tried it, it doesn't work. It looks like a good idea on paper, but like others have said, you'd be much better off swinging an axe

Well.... There you go.

I wander if that treadmill the horse is on was built fot the purpose or if it started life as something else???

David

That's a "Horse Power" -- they were common before internal combustion engines. (They had dog powers, too. And probably any other critter powers). I assume these guys built a new one for use in stuff like this, doesn't look like one of the antiques.

I love the treadmill idea.

As far as the bike idea.....well an engine turns a lot more rpm's and like has been said cycle time would be awful I would think. I am no engineer though and will gladly eat crow if someone builds one, and it does a good job.

That's a "Horse Power" -- they were common before internal combustion engines. (They had dog powers, too. And probably any other critter powers). I assume these guys built a new one for use in stuff like this, doesn't look like one of the antiques.

Yep, they were fairly common on farms back when as were the horse powered 'go arounds' Horse must have been very bored either marching in place or round and round for hours.

Harry K

I'm going with the Rube Goldberg approach and one-upping Yall.

Anything is possible, so it would work.

I think the next level is going to be.

Bike to generator, gennie to battery storage, battery to electric/hydraulic pump.....

The first fatal flaw is while you pedal to make power, you don need no stinking heat.

The analysis of the first fatal flaw is you could always recycle the stored battery energy too, if not splitting wood.

I hugged the last tree I cut down....

That's a "Human powered" splitter.

Thread is titled wrong!

That's a "Human powered" splitter. Or peddle powered.

Interesting....but not for me!

Couple of points Ya'll are missing.

(1. think o fall the weight you could loose trying to make it work, 90F day wouldbe the best time to try it.

(2. think of all the beer you could drink and not gain any weight trying to see if it would work, again a 90F day would be best with no shade.

:D Al

Back