The Breakfast Thread - morning chow call, brunch n beyond! ~

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all me, baby. :cool:

it made the 5 pm news tonite... newscaster did piece on oatmeal, said oatmeal is very good for a body... should eat it often. hmm, maybe oatmeal stew is the answer. ;) just not sure how to brown the oat flakes!

oatmeal - it's what's for breakfast

oatmeal sandwhich - it's what's for lunch

oatmeal stew - it's what's for dinner!

it made the 5 pm news tonite... newscaster did piece on oatmeal, said oatmeal is very good for a body... should eat it often. hmm, maybe oatmeal stew is the answer. ;) just not sure how to brown the oat flakes!

Sweet! :cool:

Makes for great emergency food, too. Cheap, keeps forever, fills you up, no cooking, just a bit of boiling water, and goes well with other things that keep well.

Irish oatmeal.

For lunch, left over, warmed up twice baked spaghetti, with a side of kimchi. I don't know why, but anymore, I can't eat pasta without a side of fermented cabbage.
A couple of pickled eggs covered in sea salt for the ride back to work.

8 oz of light soymilk and 2 scoops of herbalife shake mix. Simple, tasty, healthy, and cheap.

I wish they had human dog food so I didn't have to waste time making food, or eating really. Cooking/eating is such a chore and takes too much time during the work day.

My breakfasts are usually 4-5 egss, 1/2 lb of bacon and taters.

That's my usual, cept it's 3 eggs and a third of a lb of bacon, with taters, toast, or biscuits and gravy, depending.

With a gret big glass of ice cold titty juice.

But I need to be eating more of the gruel....I mean oatmeal.

I wish they had human dog food so I didn't have to waste time making food, or eating really. Cooking/eating is such a chore and takes too much time during the work day.

one more egg, and you could make it a clean-shavin' misbehavin'.... half dozen!

soft scrambled, I could easily do that!

Thread on oatmeal
What is your preference?
Whole, steel cut, or rolled?
Slow? Quick? Or instant?
Flavored? Or plain?
Berries or fruit?
Sugar? Or no?
If so, Brown or white?
Or honey perhaps?
Butter?
If so,
Sweet cream? salted?
Real? or margarine?
Toast? Or no toast?
If toast, on the side? Or for dipping?

What is your preference?
Whole, steel cut, or rolled?
Slow? Quick? Or instant?
Flavored? Or plain?
Berries or fruit?
Sugar? Or no?
If so, Brown or white?
Or honey perhaps?
Butter?
If so,
Sweet cream? salted?
Real? or margarine?
Toast? Or no toast?
If toast, on the side? Or for dipping?

preference? imo, you have hit all the thread potential topics n themes on 'oatmeal stew'... is all... too many? lol

Steel cut/pin head oats are great but they take a long time to cook. If you want to have them for breakfast but are short on AM free time, you can prep ahead. Bring 2 cups of H2O to a boil and stir in 1/2c of oats. Let simmer for 1 min, remove from heat and cover. You can place the covered pot in the refrig or just leave them covered on the stovetop overnight. Next morning, bring the oats up to a good simmer and cook 8 to 12 min. Serve with cream or ½ and ½ and some brown sugar.

Welp it is getting to be about that time of year again when you get saddled with hosting Easter brunch. Here is a great recipe to copy a honey baked ham. Basically you are going to caramelize sugar and spice mix on the surface of the ham to create a crunchy glaze. This will allow you to take a $15 supermarket ham and convert it to a $30 -$40 honey baked ham.

1 fully cooked spiral sliced ham
1 cup sugar
1/4t ground cinnamon
1/4t ground nutmeg
1/4t ground clove
1/8 ground paprika
Dash of ground ginger
Dash of ground allspice

Combine sugar with all spices and mix. Remove ham from packaging and place flat/meat side onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle/coat skin side of ham liberally with sugar mixture. Break out the propane/map gas torch and caramelize the sugar onto the surface of the ham. This is just like caramelizing sugar onto the surface of a crème brulee. I usually give the ham two or three coats of sugar/caramelization to use up the sugar mix. If you only do a single coat, you will probably have some sugar mix left over. Wrap in foil and refrigerate till ready to serve.

Notes* I usually use ½ a ham. I usually use a Carando hickory smoked ham and I have compared the above recipe with the real deal and I cannot tell the difference. This is a fully cooked ham right out of the package and I think room temp is best for serving. You can warm it slightly but if you really heat it up, I think you lose a lot of flavor. To warm, I remove the ham slices from the bone and place them in a crock pot with a warm setting. You could also just place it in an oven with a warm feature. Leftovers (if any) make for great ham sandwiches.

Another brunch special. I was originally told this was from Yankee magazine. I quick tour of the internet would indicate it is from Epicurious. You can make this a day ahead, refrigerate and cook it the following morning. It is a real crowd pleaser.

Cowboy Christmas Breakfast Casserole

4T butter
1lbs sausage meat
1 day old baguette or loaf of Italian bread
1 garlic clove crushed
2 dozen eggs
1 cup whole milk
2 t salt
1 t pepper
1 small red onion finely chopped
2 jalapeño peppers gutted and chopped fine
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray (pam). Brown sausage over med heat (about 10 min) breaking up any large lumps as it cooks, drain and cool to room temp. Cook onions and jalapeño peppers in 1T butter for 5-10 min. Cool to room temp. Cut bread into 1” slices and place onto bottom of the baking pan. Melt butter in microwave and add crushed garlic. Brush the now garlic butter over the top of the bread. Distribute cooked sausage over the top of the bread. Wisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onions/peppers and 2 oz cheese together. Pour over the bread. The bread will initially float but it will sink as it soaks up the egg mix. Once bread gets soggy (you can give it a hand with a spatula) sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the dish. Cover with foil that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake covered 30 min at 375F. Remove foil and cook about 20min more or until center is just set.

Notes* If you take this dish right out of the refrigerator and place it in the over, it takes longer to cook. You can substitute the milk with heavy cream for a richer dish. You can also add more cheese. I usually use frozen Jimmy Dean hot sausage for this dish but you could use any bulk sausage. Maple would good if you can find it in bulk or unwrap some links. I like the red onion and jalapeño pepper for the red and green effect but a red bell pepper and yellow onion/scallions/chives would also work fine if you don’t like the hot peppers. I have also added mushrooms to this dish and it was great. Slice or chop them fine and cook them with the onions and peppers.

Great brunch beverage

Gin and Grapefruit

1oz Gin
3 oz Grapefruit juice
Ice.
Dash of Angostura (if desired)

Mix gin and Juice. Pour over ice. With Plymouth gin (navy strength if you can find it), this is a great super easy brunch drink.

Latest posts

Back