The Chinese Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really Chinese bashing. Just trying to point out you generally get what you pay for. Good quality steel, alloys, machining and tooling does not come cheap. Nationality is not really a factor, however, a lot of cheaply made tool products are presently coming out of China.

Well that sounds as if the light is starting to get to the end of a rather long tunnel .................. i dont think in all fairness we or yourself have treated them as manufactureres very fair either demanding lower and lower prices so that both countries could make more and more money for there share holders ................. really haven't we created a rod for our own backs.

Our own countrymen should be shot for what they have done to us all taking away our jobs and giving back stuff that they themselves help create a cheap and nasty throw away product and thats out of fashion before its released.

:popcorn:

funny haw nobody jumps down a yanks throat when one of them starts a thread about useing a cicom big bore kit or replacement p&c and there has been heaps of them ???

Well said. Some have a problem with an aftermarket crank made in china but no problem at all with the loads of aftermarket P/C kits installed on their saw...:msp_confused:
I won't buy a chinese made saw (yet), but the day their quality will be on par with the western made ones, at reasonable prices, my attitude may change. We live in a global economy, better get used to that idea; so does Stihl who owns plants in China btw.

Bob, I have no experience with the cranks copied. The company I work for has subcontracted manufactering parts in China for years. Although the chinese have modern equipment, their material knowledge, heat treatment techniques, etc. are below average, still, and their ability to produce a good, consistent quality is not there yet. So you may get lucky and have a good crank, or end up with one that will fail after a few hours. Just try it.

i run a chinese bb kit on my 066 but with better quality rings, had no trouble at all with it, first one chewed out pretty quick but it in haled a lot of dust before it died, im on me second chinese pole saw paid 140 bucks for the first 26cc one done over a 1000 bucks work with it and sold it for 120 bucks, now have a 52cc one which cost me 250 bucks and has turned over 650 bucks and 2 slabs of beer with one tank of fuel, sure they may not last like a name brand but they dont cost like one either. i paid a fortune for a good saw that was a pos and it was meant to be the worlds best large saw, im happy to chance it with a cheaper item as more money in my pocket puts more food on my families table! my 2 cents worth:cheers:

Well sounds as though i best trust them there chings and go get one as Andreas has enough money by now i plan on putting together a ching bottom end with a new ching crank with good main bearings proberly sourced from the local Australian bearing service it would be nice to have not only a new crankcase but a new crankshaft and rod assy with a geniune piston and cylinder assy the rest of the bits can be the chinese stuff as well i will proberly use their ignition system as well cowls and starter. That sound OK

The saw wont be used that often just in short busts ................ besides everyone wants a goldmine for bloody old parts that proberly wont last anyway

Ebay makes fat people fatter

Tight bummed McBob.

I think I may get one and if it dies no big loss I need some thing to practice porting on any way :D
saves me stuffing up one of my stihls.

Who made the computer you're using?

Maybe unrelated...but..then again.......all of this thread was typed on keyboards made in China..... I don't think we would we all have computers if it wasn't for the made in China sticker. Were they reversed engineered? I'm not saying I agree with it all.....

How would one test steel for it's quality? There's the Charpy impact test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Anyone have equipment for this? Look up Titanic Charpy testing.....

Bearing surface finish/hardness? Hardness Testing How about testing this?

Cylinder surface material? Poeton Home Page - Surface Engineering, Coatings and Surface Treatments

I haven't seen one of these saws in person.

This is another post I made in another thread. I simply copied and pasted it here, I think it's appropriate to the topic in question.

"Ok, I know I am new here and I am going to stick my neck out on the block here.

Do I agree that the Chinese are blatantly copying the name branded saws and trying to pass them off as genuines. Hell no. I think that a Stihl saw should be the only thing wearing a stihl sticker, same for husky, poulan, etc.

Do I think somehting should be done about the copywrite for the logos, infringements by stealing patants? Yes.

BUT, do I also think that the chinese build a decent (not top quality, but decent) product? ......sometimes.

I have a Chinese knockoff dirtbike. Had it over a year now. I beat that thing through the trails, ofer tracks, through the woods. I followed name brand bikes, and done all the same things they did with my bike and had ZERO issues. It's not a direct copy of a Honda, but it's quite similar to a CRF230F. It's a Gio (Zongshen engine) X31.

Now, I think that the Chinese are learning, (much like Kia of Korea has) are sre starting to wise up on their products. But I TOTALLY disagree that selling a knock off as a true Husky is wrong!!!!

This is why I shyed away from the knock off saws. I bought a true Stihl 034 that was used for about the same price as a new knock off saw.

I think that once the Chinese make their own brands, based on their own designs that they MIGHT be able to make a solid name for themselves.

Now, with all that said...I am not trying to stand up for what they did here. It is wrong to copy that saw and sell it outright labeled as a major brand...it's stealing in my opinion, and in many of yours as well.

But, think back to the Honda bikes and cars....the Japanese were much the same in China's boots 30 years ago, and today...people won't hardly look at a bike unless it's Japanese (honda, kawi, yamaha, etc)

That's just my opinion and I wanted to share it. Again, please don't take what I say as offence to anyone here...I don't mean it like that."

What people will have to realize is Stihl no longer make the saw in question or sell any parts for them any more so it's either chinese replacements or half worn out second hand parts. I have used some of these chinese replacement parts particularly the cylinders that have been better finished than some of the late model genuine parts.

What I took um bridge to is the America prostituted the world crap. I don't care if the guy uses inferior Chinese parts. It's his money and his business. On the rare occasion that I go on a certain Aussie tree forum I would never use insulting language towards Australian people. I would not go there looking for advice and then say "well Australia is this or that" when I did not like the answer I got.

Obviously there is a gray area as to when an aftermarket part becomes an illegal knockoff. Aftermarket piston and cylinder kits are legal knockoffs, at least in this country. Even clutch covers, and other parts. Where they really cross the line is when they label a saw as a Stihl when it in fact is not a Stihl. If they had a saw that looked like an 090, but was a little different, and had a different brand name on it, it wouldn't be so objectionable.

I purchased some ATV's for my kids that were out of China. Some were better than others. In all of them, the motors were all really good. None of these ATVs were copies of something else, as they were all original designs. Except for one, they all suited there purpose at the time, and lasted long enough for the kids until they were outgrown.

Anyone ever run one of them side by side next to the real deal?
I would love a 365 for under 300.00,how much worse can they be from the homeowner throw-a-way units?

i run a chinese bb kit on my 066 but with better quality rings, had no trouble at all with it, first one chewed out pretty quick but it in haled a lot of dust before it died, im on me second chinese pole saw paid 140 bucks for the first 26cc one done over a 1000 bucks work with it and sold it for 120 bucks, now have a 52cc one which cost me 250 bucks and has turned over 650 bucks and 2 slabs of beer with one tank of fuel, sure they may not last like a name brand but they dont cost like one either. i paid a fortune for a good saw that was a pos and it was meant to be the worlds best large saw, im happy to chance it with a cheaper item as more money in my pocket puts more food on my families table! my 2 cents worth:cheers:

I would say this is pretty accurate how the majority of people in the good ol US of A feel on just about anything you can buy, not necessarily just chainsaws. You can argue this on any topic. The pros and the everyday users are generally going to go for the "best" made products most likely made in america, everyone else is going to get what they need to just get by. This isn't the same world we lived in 20-30 years ago. Gas is going to hit $5 a gallon, who can afford to drop hundreds on a stihl for occasionally limbing trees or some yard work.(not saying its not worth the money). Home owners and budget minded enthusiasts are going to get the foreign made counterpart for a lot less money, get the job done with it and still be able to pay for the roof over his or her family's head. Like i said, This goes for anything out there, not just chainsaws. We have created our own monster, everyone wants to get paid a lot of money to live in a country that costs a lot of money. In house product prices are going to rise to support this habit.

Well that sounds as if the light is starting to get to the end of a rather long tunnel .................. i dont think in all fairness we or yourself have treated them as manufactureres very fair either demanding lower and lower prices so that both countries could make more and more money for there share holders ................. really haven't we created a rod for our own backs.

Our own countrymen should be shot for what they have done to us all taking away our jobs and giving back stuff that they themselves help create a cheap and nasty throw away product and thats out of fashion before its released.

:popcorn:

Yep.

chinese saws or for that matter anything they produce.

Legitimate companies all over the world are being victimized by these people. Husky, Stihl, Yamaha, and others spend millions on research and development of a product only to have these chumps come in and "reverse engineer" their product and market it without having to incur even close to what they spent. It should in my opinion be illegal to import and sell this trash! I've spent a good chunk of change on my two Husky saws without ever considering the alternative!

One only has to understand. That in a communist society, there is NO incentive to do anything well. Therefore you will always get substandard products from them.

One only has to understand. That in a communist society, there is NO incentive to do anything well. Therefore you will always get substandard products from them.
I'd wager that the work ethic of the average worker in a Chinese factory considerably exceeds that of an average North American factory worker. It is not reasonable to blame the Chinese for making things at the prices North Americans want to pay.

Ahh, I find the attitudes to be both sad and funny. Stihl is a corporation, and a German one at that. I have no affiliation with Stihl (or Husky or any of them), so what do I care about them? Let them defend their patents and trademarks. Why do people identify with a corporation? You pay them for their product, that's enough - why the need to be a fanboy too? To top that off, it's the corporations that have been shipping the manufacturing out to China to make a bigger buck (temporarily) for their managers - why cry for them now?

Nor am I German, so German parts are as foreign as Chinese parts. As for Chinese quality, well if you ask them to give you something for nothing, what the heck do you expect? That doesn't mean they can't make good stuff, they're just not likely to for next to nothing. You drive around every day with lots of Chinese parts in you car or truck. Without Chinese electronic parts there will be NO electronic anything made. Period.

The number of Chinese made parts and components in everything you buy is staggering, and as someone who's been designing and manufacturing products for some 25years (in the US), I can assure you that the US manufacturing capability is seriously degraded. The vendors who come in our facility are amazed anyone still does this in the US. The Chinese graduate an incredible number of engineers, while we're producing bankers and managers and marketers. What a joke. They've got a lot of really smart, really capable folks and it's only whistling past the graveyard thinking that the US or the West has some kind of advantage over them due to better management or marketing. You will be seeing the results of that much more clearly in the decade ahead.

I'd wager that the work ethic of the average worker in a Chinese factory considerably exceeds that of an average North American factory worker. It is not reasonable to blame the Chinese for making things at the prices North Americans want to pay.

You would improve your work ethic too if you had guards/army at your work place with loaded Ak47's (copies no doubt)!

Ahh, I find the attitudes to be both sad and funny. Stihl is a corporation, and a German one at that. I have no affiliation with Stihl (or Husky or any of them), so what do I care about them? Let them defend their patents and trademarks. Why do people identify with a corporation? You pay them for their product, that's enough - why the need to be a fanboy too? To top that off, it's the corporations that have been shipping the manufacturing out to China to make a bigger buck (temporarily) for their managers - why cry for them now?

Nor am I German, so German parts are as foreign as Chinese parts. As for Chinese quality, well if you ask them to give you something for nothing, what the heck do you expect? That doesn't mean they can't make good stuff, they're just not likely to for next to nothing. You drive around every day with lots of Chinese parts in you car or truck. Without Chinese electronic parts there will be NO electronic anything made. Period.

The number of Chinese made parts and components in everything you buy is staggering, and as someone who's been designing and manufacturing products for some 25years (in the US), I can assure you that the US manufacturing capability is seriously degraded. The vendors who come in our facility are amazed anyone still does this in the US. The Chinese graduate an incredible number of engineers, while we're producing bankers and managers and marketers. What a joke. They've got a lot of really smart, really capable folks and it's only whistling past the graveyard thinking that the US or the West has some kind of advantage over them due to better management or marketing. You will be seeing the results of that much more clearly in the decade ahead.
Very well put. I have no particular love of cheap chinese imports, many of which are substandard. However I would make the observation that China is the world's oldest civilisation and no matter what their current system of government, you do not survive to be the world's oldest civilisation without learning a trick or two along the way.
Like America, Australia's manufacturing industry has become a sad shell of its former self. Behold the Asian revolution.
As to the original question.
I would imagine that the basic components of the saw would most likely be ok, other than the finish of some components, (a common characteristic of chinese products).
To make an observation, neither the 070 or 090's are cutting edge technology and the demands on their components would be far less than more modern and highly stressed saws.
I honestly don't see the attraction of one of these saws built from new components, the original saws really only appeal as historic relics, to me anyway.

Back