the deal with the 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboln52000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I checked out that 056 saw I picked up saturday morning. It does have pretty good compression. The muffler is shot. I am not sure what somebody did to it, but it is smashed, and has chisel marks all over it. It even had a 3" long drywall screw holding part of it together...whatever works i gues.

It has a spark, but not real good one. a little orange, and weak.
Dealer said it ran, but rattled loudly when running.

I am thinking that had something to do with the nut missing from the flywheel. The woodruff key doesnt look real good on the crank anyway.

Its a pretty cool old saw. So, I think i am going to fix it up, and keep it. So far it looks like it needs a muffler assembly, carb kit, air cleaner, ignition side nut and key.

I think it takes the .404 pitch chain. That will be a first for me.

We'll see what else.

I will post pics when its done, and maybe even a vid of it running.

Check the clutch springs too. Hopefully that rattle isn't piston slap. I accidentally narrowed it down to the springs when I left the clutch pack off and everything got nice and quiet.

I called Ron's saw shop for a muffler for my 056 Mag and they sent a brand new one for $20. It had the side exhaust, but no ported front cover. Got that from my dealer for another $20. Factory dual-ports. Gotta make sure your jug will work with this. Couple of the lower fins will be trimmed back at the front corner of the bar-side of the jug. I guess you could do this yourself.

I'd get rid of the .404 stuff and use 3/8. .404 is for the big boys, like my 050 and 075.

See what kind of ignition you have. If you have a one-piece flywheel, that's SEM. (It'll also be marked as such.) You can still get that ignition. The others you'll be out of luck on.

Chris B.

Thanks for the info! I will check the flywheel tonight. I think it is one piece, but i will double check. A dual port muffler would be pretty cool on this old saw.

Yes, its the SEM ignition. Looks like the flywheel is pretty well shot. When whoever sheared the woodruff key, it took a couple pretty good chunks out of the flywheel.

Parts are starting to add up on this one!

Originally posted by mboln52000
Parts are starting to add up on this one!

They generally do.

I had a guy tickled pink about picking up a 042 for $70 at an auction. He wanted to put it into use. I tried to nicely explain to him that parts were going to be hard to find for it and that they would be expensive. He said he did not care as it would be cheaper than a new saw. I tried to explain that he would be better off with a 044 or 046 but he wanted the 042. Well his $70 auction special 042 is probably well over $300 nowand it still is not in use.

Bill

Sometimes its just a labor of love. Like the 045 Super gave me as a gift. My first big saw, it needed a piston and barrel. Loose case screws killed it twice, before I got it and figured it out. About $250 into that saw with no regrets.

From what I hear that $300 would be better spent on an 056 than any 042. Don't think I've ever heard one good thing about that saw.

mboln,

I have some flywheels, but they're for the old Bosch ignition and incomplete. Your best bet would be to get a parts saw. BTW, certain TS-350 and 08s use the exact same ignition module. Again, single piece flywheel vs. two-piece. Pulls off in the center like an A/C pulley.

What chunks are missing from the flywheel?

Chris B.

If there are chunks missing from the flywheel then you can assume the bearings are gone. It only take a short time running unbalanced.

Bill

The pieces missing on inside the flywheel, on the tapered bore. When they sheered the woodruff key, part of the keyway was torn, or broken out of the center of the flywheel.

Other that than, there is only 1 fin missing.

Thnaks,

Matt

Back