The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...What's better than clear cutting for a farmer who can't run a chainsaw???? The same farmer being the bank Pres.!!! :msp_w00t: ....did I mention he pays cash?? BAAZING!!! :rock:

Had a pretty good day cat logging today. Sorry no photos, but I could snap a few of the deck, stumps and cat. Having to use haywire, block and choker to pull the trees over with the cat. Don't want to risk hitting the house or anything else. Its pretty fun, slow going but fun. I'm flush cutting all the stumps that my friend is leaving so we don't break anything. Worked pretty good until we hit a small swell on the hillside. Broke everything. Nothing we could really do about it. Finally got far enough away from the swell that only the tops were busting. Learned some good stuff too. Back to it tomorrow. Who needs the super bowl?

Besides a few yard trees, this is the first day after some heavy cutting since october. And the first day after running a skidder in 15+ years. Turns out I really am Fat... and out of shape.

Hahaha. I remember when I realized I was fat...and lazy. Oh, you said out of shape. Well, you'll realize the rest before too long. :laugh: :cheers:

Andy

I'm starting to feel it...3rd back to back 7 day week. No complaints...just a statement in the "Descriptive Process". My only complaint would be that I need to hire a part-time pimp due to me whoring it out all over Hell's half acre. :rock:

OK, let me get this straight... soil compaction causes water to back up because it interrupts natural percolation (yes, water is complicating a sale due to old roads). BUT -- if enough water builds up behind a compacted site, it becomes a wetland that must be protected rather than repaired? How does this make any sense at all? Also worth noting is the fact that we're not DOT and don't plan complicated enough road layouts to need to mitigate for wetlands ahead of time. Why can't I just drop in a few culverts and OHHH because then it would drain and ARRRRGGGHHHH so stupid.

Ain't a bettin' man, but if I was, I'd put money on my having a go-round or two with the F&W folks, the roads folks, and maybe even the archaeologist before I get paint on anything. I see now why this sale got postponed a bunch of years ago. Nobody had the stones to actually do it.

So when I went to put a load of clean laundry on Cody's dresser there were two quarts of TruFuel 50:1 sitting there. Should I yell at him for being stupid and bringing gasoline into the house or hug him because it was gasoline and not booze. Cody is a great kid. A geek too. He would rather run a saw or read his historical fantasy books or coach wrestling than go out with his friends. His friends are pretty cool too. He hates drugs and alcohol almost as much as I do.

So I'm trying to find a log bumper for the missus, either I am stoopid or the scrap yards have never read a parts manual, I've been corrected twice now for not calling them fenders... so far looks like it might be cheaper to just build one even if it looks like poopy...

I was cutting a stand of hickory today. I dropped the tops all toward each other making a little mess :laugh:. I was running one of my "nasty chains" (rakers ground too short) and I guess I cut a half dollar size limb twice. The 6in long piece of limb caught on the bottom of the chain while WFO and hurled that little beasty right in to the inside of my knee!!! :rock: It hit my ACL I guess and warped the ground almost puking. It was BAD!

Funny part of it...well, I didn't realize it was funny till on my way home, but the land owner was about 15 yards from me when I did it. Here's the funny part, he was fairly well on his way to being drunk, and had been calling crows. He saw me drop and I guess yelled out but had the crow call in his mouth!! :hmm3grin2orange: So basically instead of s###t, he skawked like a crow! :hmm3grin2orange: Kind of locational, but holy crap that's funny!

Had the falling/chainsaw test yesterday. Notifications: Drop start X5 (I did the crotch start once and I thought that was enough for the record), a too deep notch (I didn't want a head leaning aspen with a heavy crown chair on me and the inspector told being afraid the tree's going to go before me grinding the back), a hinge too narrow (It was well over 1/2'' on the thick end), stiff knees when limbing (I had a 2' bar) + safety goggles hanging on my neck X2.

Passed the test, anyhow. Barely.

I did my time in one those gulches east of T Falls. I was single. I spent time off in Missoula. I think. It's all little blurry now. Was then as well.

Back then Champion was busy mining yellow pine somewhere north of T Falls. Usually 50 or so cars/train. All yellow pine. None smaller than 24". And then...once again...they headed west...to their next conquest.

So, is Champion Plum Creek spelled backwards, or what?

There are cheery whistles making noise in my neighborhood. BUT, they have scary signs telling everybody to stay the heck out and off their roads.:msp_sad: Both of my dog walking, fat burning walking routes are now off limits. Guess I'll drive to Chehalis and go to Burger King. :msp_sad:

Back