The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was slush on the ground this morning. We're getting the occasional sucker hole. I've got lots of stuff to do both in and out.

Right now it is sleeting. The Used Dog was lying in a beam of sunlight a minute ago.

Embrace the weather! We have to!

Awful lot of ice breakage in this stand. Clear evidence of the big storms in '78, '96, and '12. Can't decide whether to take a bunch of the busted ones or leave 'em to develop a complex canopy structure over time. Probably do some of both. The alder have been totally decimated. It's a weird patch of ground, with rocks and madrone up top and cattail marsh at the bottom, and everything in between. Perched wetland terraces break up steep dry slopes. Oh, and is this sleet at 350 ft and 50F? It will be good to put some light on the ground. Lots of understory seedlings.

had the week off from the machine shop (jury doodie...), first day back was today, no machines running, two or three people homes sick or dying..., half of everything they ran while I was gone is scrap, boss man ties me in and leaves...

Had everything back to normal by noon...

I was planning on taking a week or two off this summer to get some bigger (for me) logging jobs cleaned up but I'm not sure I'll ever get a vacation again....

had the week off from the machine shop (jury doodie...), first day back was today, no machines running, two or three people homes sick or dying..., half of everything they ran while I was gone is scrap, boss man ties me in and leaves...

Had everything back to normal by noon...

I was planning on taking a week or two off this summer to get some bigger (for me) logging jobs cleaned up but I'm not sure I'll ever get a vacation again....

don't you know how to be very opinionated when interviewed for jury doodie.;):laugh:

don't you know how to be very opinionated when interviewed for jury doodie.;):laugh:

I figure at least one person that does not believe everything a uniform tells them should be present... having read some of the police statements involving me... really for a bunch of jack booted thugs they can be quite creative

disclaimer: I've met good cops, bad cops, and crooked cops. Its the crooked ones that have the best stories

So far have avoided jury duty because of college and I figure having a little age on me before I do my civic duty to be a plus as well. It's flat scary who they get on jury duty though. Being opinionated will get ya off but shows you're smart, that's not what the lawyers want (depending on prosecution or defense) and the majority of the good folk on jury duty are not that bright. My dad likes to recall the only time he was on jury duty that someone brought up something they saw on a Matlock show to apply to the case before them.... scary :help:

I found a sinkhole by a culvert I put in the early 90's. I was walking with the damn dogs. I know I could have found it without them.

Not since Wisconsin have I had this happen! I went on what was supposed to be a pleasant, strenuous walk in the woods. I got home, felt something on my neck and found TWO ticks crawling on me! Then one on the couch, then I ran fingers through my hair and more of the buggers fell out--went in for a shower and more were scurrying about.

I have swept off the Used Dog but will most likely find some on him when they get bigger. Dark colored dogs are difficult to detick.

Icky!!!!:msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy:

Holy smokes. Would not of expected em to have been out this early! Musta been that heat wave.

I hear ya. They are no fun. Ones on humans I've seen came from skinin out elk. Hardly ever hear of people just randomly getting em on them when walking. Dogs yes but not humans so much.

I haven't found any on The Used Dog, yet. Last night, I felt the bite of doom and pulled one out. Just a bite causes a 2 inch diameter bump. Owie, whine whine whine I'll never be a welder...whine whine. :cry:

The route of that walk has me ducking under some brush and getting brushed by brush until I hit the road system. Not much brush, but enough for the evil empire of ticks. Gawd I hate them. I think I'll move to Seattle! And sell used rigging clothes.

Last edited:
Aside from the woodlands, ticks also show up in grasslands where people don't burn. A good ol' backfire will really wipe out certain tick species for a growing season.

Have drip torch, will travel. :rock:

Last edited:
We need a large burn off here in our National forests. The ticks will be beyond belief here in a couple weeks. A buddy of mine saw a doe whitetail come down to the river for a drink, he noticed she looked funny, her ears were an entire wad of ticks...so bad her ears were drooped straight down.

If we don't use ALOT of tick spray (40% Deet) we get covered...and I'm talkin' look down your pants leg and see 20 racing up your jeans. Not even forgetting when they hatch into seed ticks! I have seen my pants with hundreds of seed ticks in large clouds moving in mass up both pant legs at a time. Trick is to snap off a ERC limb and swat the piss out of your legs...they will all come off, works amazingly well.

About 7 years ago I was logging one summer and had been building fence on my place. I got very sick, and for me that is unheard of. I suffer from headaches on a regular basis, but this headache was pushing my brain out the stem. I went to the ER over it actually. The ER doctor said she was concerned because I was 30 and in such good shape... I was shaking, blurry vision etc. She asked if she could do a spinal tap. I was like fricken do something...I'm gonna die right here! She gave me a shot of morphine and pulled some spinal fluid. Long story short, a week later I was released from the hospital having suffered tick fever. It was horrible! They said my brain had swelled to the point it was trying to poke down m spinal column! Dang!

We need a large burn off here in our National forests. The ticks will be beyond belief here in a couple weeks. A buddy of mine saw a doe whitetail come down to the river for a drink, he noticed she looked funny, her ears were an entire wad of ticks...so bad her ears were drooped straight down.

I spent a year and a half in Eastern Oklahoma near Red Oak. Hardly anyone in the East burns like they should, and one way to tell if fire has been absent in the woods for a long time, is seeing an abundance of Maple, Elm, and Basswoods. The clock is ticking in the East, if they don't start regular burning soon, you can kiss the Oaks goodbye - they are fire dependent.

The same goes for the Midwest and other Oak regions in the US.

Check out this excellent article on why fire is needed in the East: Species shift looms in fire-starved Eastern woods

Ticks are terrible in the northeast another couple weeks and you do a tick check every night. My son got lyme disease for a tick bite when he was in pre k got really sick. Big antibiotics cleared it up. Around here if you have a tick on you and are not sure how long you go get meds. At the house we keep guniea hens around to clear up the ticks.

I spent a year and a half in Eastern Oklahoma near Red Oak. Hardly anyone in the East burns like they should, and one way to tell if fire has been absent in the woods for a long time, is seeing an abundance of Maple, Elm, and Basswoods. The clock is ticking in the East, if they don't start regular burning soon, you can kiss the Oaks goodbye - they are fire dependent.

The same goes for the Midwest and other Oak regions in the US.

Check out this excellent article on why fire is needed in the East: Species shift looms in fire-starved Eastern woods

Awesome read! Yes, I forsee a total loss of mature red Oak within the next decade! Disease, beetles, and drought all thrown together are taking a big toll. I mostly log oak and I would gather that 40% of what I cut is sick in some way. That combined with a devistating ice storm in '09, has wrecked the oak species in our area. Don't get me wrong, we have perfectly good timber, but I see alot of damage.

I own 54 acres of woods, predominately hardwood. I have around 27 acres of future red oak, white oak, and hickory that I have been petting for the last 10 years. With routine burning and thinning out the junk, this track will be unbelievable one day. These trees are all about the same age and height, grown together like dog hair. They are tall and slick, should be top notch trees.

They merely take one bite out of me and then I puff up. It is worse than a bee sting. I felt the little bugger as soon as he chomped. I'll have an uncomfotable day or two and then the swelling will go down and the itch will start up.

I found nothing on The Used Dog. He's usually the one to get the ticks.

WOW!!! What a difference working with a good crew! These guys are awesome, and I really enjoy falling for them! Wish I had hooked up with them sooner! :rock:

Back