The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that the uncle is a pretty decent faller especially with alder so I should be getting some good instruction taboot! He got away from small time logging to construction but still does lot clearing now and then but it's not his main business anymore. Only thing is I gotta watch my damned saw like a hawk otherwise he'll have it burnt up in nothin flat... good faller just not too nice on the saws...

If I make enough fallin for him on the weekends some of the dough is going to the 288 for a trip back east if, there's enough. I hate being a college student you're perpetually broke or in the process of becoming broke...

Oh yea, I forgot how spendy snoose is in WA!!! especially in Forks and it gets even spendier when you're not paying attention and they hand you the wrong can and can't take it back....

Time to wax the tins. Spose to rain tomarrow.

Wes

Last edited:
Firing back up next Tuesday, got the privilege of running corridors this week, something I'd successfully avoided until now. ####. The layout guy is the only one on the crew that gets chewed on more than the saws....Doubling down :laugh:.

This little patchie-poo will get four yarders, a processor or two, and a loader. One way in, and it's the same way out....Should be a peach of a commute.

Gotta love the glitzy-glam life of a full time faller.

What happened here with one outfit was that a faller:bowdown: would flag in the corridors and tail trees. I'd run up and down with my paint gun. They'd get cut out. Then the yarding crew would arrive and it would be another trip on many corridors to redo the tail trees and add twister trees. There would be mumbling from the hooktender about "what was he :bowdown: thinkin'?" On a couple of treks on a unit with downhill yarding, we went almost to the ridgetop in search of better trees.

Well after a long trek from the east side of the mtns I made it home sunday night only to repack and do a two hour drive to Forks today. Met the boss at Kalaloch, had lunch met a timber seller that knows my fam. Went and looked at his job that was just getting started. Then back to Kalaloch for the jeep and on to Forks. Got a whirlwind tour of the mill and turned out I had worked with one of the scalers cruising a few years ago. He looks at my boss and says "let me tell ya bout this kid" and launched into a story about our day of cruisin. After we went back to the company house the boss says "If Russ says you're good I buy it. He doesn't get excited about too much." Lookin to be a good summer I'm thinkin. Goin cruisin tomorrow then data input Thurs in PA.

Oh and it's lookin like a busy saturday of timber fallin and stumb popin for my uncle! Get to kill trees and make money! hooah!

Nice, man, that sounds cool :rock:

GET SOME!

Thanks man! Yeah this is shaping up to be one of the better internships I've done. This will be my 4th and third with a different company.

So today we went and finished a cruise then went and did some logging compliance. All I can say if ya have a processor check your trim lengths multiple times a day. Seems things never change. Nine out of ten times it's a trim issue with log quality. Found a really cool sinkhole today and identified some ruts that need fluffing. Almost regretted bustn out the tins today as it didn't rain as much as expected :msp_rolleyes:

No flying cats vids in the works but have an interesting job coming up in July with Dahlgren Logging. Those are the boys with the Berger Marc VI that flew the cats out on the skyline to skid back to the tail tree. Good to be back out in the woods and not in the classroom with a bunch of BS paper scenarios! Real world trumps the academic any day. :givebeer:

All in all a great day. Tomarrow is a office and mill tour day in PA.

Thanks man! Yeah this is shaping up to be one of the better internships I've done. This will be my 4th and third with a different company.

So today we went and finished a cruise then went and did some logging compliance. All I can say if ya have a processor check your trim lengths multiple times a day. Seems things never change. Nine out of ten times it's a trim issue with log quality. Found a really cool sinkhole today and identified some ruts that need fluffing. Almost regretted bustn out the tins today as it didn't rain as much as expected :msp_rolleyes:

No flying cats vids in the works but have an interesting job coming up in July with Dahlgren Logging. Those are the boys with the Berger Marc VI that flew the cats out on the skyline to skid back to the tail tree. Good to be back out in the woods and not in the classroom with a bunch of BS paper scenarios! Real world trumps the academic any day. :givebeer:

cool bro.......just remember that if ya got ya chew today the office tyes take offense to ya spitting on their floors lol .......oh the real world lol

Good to be back out in the woods and not in the classroom with a bunch of BS paper scenarios! Real world trumps the academic any day.

I like to get a few classroom days each year. It's good to keep learning new things, but even better to turn right around and take that knowledge back to work. That said, I'm about 80% of the way through a big project which I will write up here as soon as I am finished and have the bugs worked out of the program.

Enjoy your summer on the Peninsula. Still miss living there!

bust my arse all week to not work friday at the machine shop, you know so I could maybe get some logging done and have a load or two for the mill... but no guess who's working tomorrow... would be a whole lot easier if the rest of the crew could maybe show up and put in at least 40 hrs (Hel I'd be happy if they put in a solid 30):msp_angry:

So looks like I'm working harder for two days to get the same amount on the ground and yarded, guess it wouldn't be logging otherwise.:givebeer:

Hope all is well Randy....

I have nothing to ##### about....quit the #### show today...next job is 2 miles up the road from home with the new outfit.....going to do the faller/fire deal if it comes about......things are looking up and my wife is happy....

I hope you all are well, and have a good safe week and a good, safe Memorial Day weekend - Sam

Sometimes working alone sucks big time.The spruce was on the roadside sticking out of a 6 foot heap of dirt, which appeared to be a pile of rubbish covered with peat... I was about to drop the tree upwind and put a jack on it. As I was doing the back cut, wind took a grab of the tree All I could do was to watch how the jack bored into the ground and the 70' spruce was leaning over the road. Fortunately the holding wood did its job. The road was busy, trucks hauling gravel and dirt at 80 KPH. There was no way I could stop the traffic alone.

Good thing I had few magnesium wedges from winter rolling on the truck bed. Thanks to Tramp Bushler for that. The tree ate the first one, but the second open the kerf just that little I managed to tap some plastic in. It finally went over after some serious pounding.

For a moment I was almost worried.

Made a land owner very happy this morning. Finally done with road clean up for now . Back to logging tomorrow!!!

You know you have spent too much time on AS when

You wake up at 3:30 in the midst of a dream that Bob has dropped by in Tennessee to give you a cross-country ride to the PNW GTG but wants to take you north first to check out some big timber he has heard about. And you stay awake wondering where and what that big timber is. Ron

You wake up at 3:30 in the midst of a dream that Bob has dropped by in Tennessee to give you a cross-country ride to the PNW GTG but wants to take you north first to check out some big timber he has heard about. And you stay awake wondering where and what that big timber is. Ron

That's priceless right there! LOL!

Latest posts

Back