The Firewood Wrapper Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got started on this the other day, got a bunch done today.
It works!!! Clocked out at 25 RPM, just about right!!!
View attachment 223579
View attachment 223580View attachment 223581

I worked out a rather interesting method of tension on the roll. Used clips thru holes, and made the caps indexed to the pins, and added a spring with preload washers on the back side. Works like a charm.

Impressive design. What size are the finished bundles...? I'd like to see more pics of you tensioner....:cheers:

View attachment 223673

and another:
View attachment 223674

the size is based upon a 5 gallon bucket. I think it is about 11" diameter. Reason being that I can always make bundles with my bucket! Anyway... I will take some more pics of the tensioner without the roll on it, so that it makes more sense. Use what ya got, and I got a pile of grader blade, so that is what the frame is made outta. two advantages. It won't blow over in the wind, it should not break. One major difference from your machine and mine is that my shaft remains stationary and holds the bundle solid. You went with a live shaft and had to place a bearing to support the back of the bundle.

-Pat

details of tension system

This is going to be about as clear as mud :confused2:
View attachment 223768
this shows the end of the shaft with a clip thru the end hole.

View attachment 223769
This shows the inside of the cap. There is a pin that the clip is hanging on. the clip keeps the cap from rotating because the pin catches the clip... simple??

View attachment 223771
This last pic shows the other end. slightly different scheme. The cap has two long bolts welded to the inside. They are parallel with the shaft and catch the pin that is in the middle of the roll. There are two of them so that the load is balanced and the cap stays straight.
The spring simply puts a preload against the roll, more washers can be added if additional tension is required.

Changing a roll is simple. Remove the spring pin so that there is less tension, and then pull the end pin. swap it out, and replace the pins.

Clear as mudd??:msp_confused:

Latest posts

Back