The first year of Stihl USA saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yo2001

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious but what year was the first year the Stihl started to assemble saw in USA? Virginia Beach? I'm thinking sometime in the mid 80's? And which saw? I know for sure the 026, 034 and so on. what about the 028? 036?

In 2006 Stihl product catalog (pgs 8-9) mentions that first American plant was opened at Virginia Beach in 1974. The only product manufactured at that time at the VA Beach plant was a chain saw. By 2006, 211 different models of chain saws and power tools were made at the plant. There was no mention on these pages of the saw model built at plant in 1974.

Making first post here......if I get this down, I'll make more. Lots of good info from all points of view on this site.

In 2006 Stihl product catalog (pgs 8-9) mentions that first American plant was opened at Virginia Beach in 1974. The only product manufactured at that time at the VA Beach plant was a chain saw. By 2006, 211 different models of chain saws and power tools were made at the plant. There was no mention on these pages of the saw model built at plant in 1974.

Making first post here......if I get this down, I'll make more. Lots of good info from all points of view on this site.
Good first post and welcome to the site, Thanks for the info.

Wow, 1974 was lot earlier than I thought. I've had a 031 AVE from the late 70's and I think it was made in West Germany.

Welcome!

Back