the french coffin saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the nice comments, guys !

The chain normally is a typical scratcher chain, but with links that ride on top of the bar. I have the civilian type PPK80 saw also with the same chain, so I know what to look for.

There are a few collectors in germany that have the same army saw, complete with all the accessories (spare chain, flat starter rope, oil can, etc.), so my saw is not all that unique, but still a nice addition to my collection.

I only picked her up yesterday in northern France in a location very close to the famous Atlantic wall built by the germans during the war, but had not yet the time to get her going of course. The pics are showing it "as found".

I will post a few more pics when she's more presentable, and of course she'll have to produce smoke (and possibly some chips) firsst to make me a proud owner.

note that the french did not call it a chainsaw (tronçonneuse), but a "scie mécanique", or a mechanical saw... typical...;);)

So since it's French, does it have 1 forward gear, and 4 reverse gears for retreat? The only forward gear would be in case the enemy got in behind you!

Neat saw for sure Roland. What pitch & gauge chain would that saw take?
Have you picked out your monument yet? :D

The chain is quite particular as she rides on top of a ridge instead in a groove like we are used to. You can notice in the pic below.

attachment.php

To be honoust, I have not picked my moment yet. I hope to pester you guys a few years still ...:cheers:

Last edited:
The chain is quite particular as she rides on top of a ridge instead in a groove like we are used to. You can notice in the pic below.

attachment.php

To be honoust, I have not picked my moment yet. I hope to pester you guys a few years still ...:cheers:

Is this type of chain called
straddle chain. It's unique and
the first time i had seen it was this
past summer at a gtg on a Disston.

Lee

Is this type of chain called
straddle chain. It's unique and
the first time i had seen it was this
past summer at a gtg on a Disston.

Lee

Hi Lee, I think it's called indeed a straddle type chain. The chain in my pic is showing teeth that are ground to the bone.

It's not going to be easy to find a chain for this saw, that's for sure...

i bet that is a cool saw. i cant see your pics. That chain is wierd. Ill stick with our style chain.

I've got a French rifle I'll trade you for the saw, never been fired and only dropped once.:) That is a cool old saw, a true piece of history. Congrats on finding it and good luck getting her going and finding a chain.

wow that is really awesome. i dont even collect chainsaws but i would have bought that for the right price hung that sucker in my living room

That is one pretty neat saw. What is something like that worth in running condition? I have never even seen one like that.

:D

It has been said many times that the value of an old saw is what is agreed between buyer and seller.

I was just lucky to find this one, and it did cost less than a Jin Feng Mc Culloch. If it had been necessary, I would have paid a little more though :)

It has been said many times that the value of an old saw is what is agreed between buyer and seller.

I was just lucky to find this one, and it did cost less than a Jin Feng Mc Culloch. If it had been necessary, I would have paid a little more though :)

Roland,

If it would help make it more valuable to you, just send the extra cash my way.

Always ready to help a friend,

ole joat

Hi Lee, I think it's called indeed a straddle type chain. The chain in my pic is showing teeth that are ground to the bone.

It's not going to be easy to find a chain for this saw, that's for sure...

It is - reminds me of the JoBu straddle chain.

Congrats on another great find! :clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts

Back