The GOL Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The weather was not conducive for videoing. I was also trying to absorb everything I could--had to pay attention to lessons and not pictures. Here is my video of our instructor cutting down a gnarly white oak.
This is the only hardwood of the day, unless you consider cottonwoods to be hardwood. He also was trying to demonstrate how to use a small bar (if you had to) on a big tree.

Sorry about the non focus. I guess you get what you pay for in cameras.

[video=youtube_share;OF12435Sckw]http://youtu.be/OF12435Sckw[/video]

Oh, the bright coat came off for most of the day after this tree. He said it should have come off earlier because he worked up a sweat.

Some still pictures.
200819d1317226664-gol-half-undercut0001-jpg

200820d1317226732-gol-stump0001-jpg

200821d1317226802-gol-stump0001_1-jpg

200822d1317226848-gol-other-tin-hat-wearer0001-jpg

View attachment 200819View attachment 200820View attachment 200821View attachment 200822

Last edited:
Is it just me or was he in a bit of a sketchy spot right as the tree pulled that strap? I mean, if a tree is going to 'chair that is exactly where it would happen... Correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe you guys would not have a problem standing there as well if you were the one that had set the tree up that way. It just didn't look like the safest place to be.

Not that there is a real "safe" place anywhere around when falling timber

Is it just me or was he in a bit of a sketchy spot right as the tree pulled that strap? I mean, if a tree is going to 'chair that is exactly where it would happen... Correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe you guys would not have a problem standing there as well if you were the one that had set the tree up that way. It just didn't look like the safest place to be.

Not that there is a real "safe" place anywhere around when falling timber

In "theory" it will not chair because it was borecut. Sometimes trees do what trees do. Borecut certainly minimizes chairs. He cut his way around the sides starting on the leaning side first, the safer side second. He made his step, release cut, trigger cut, whatever you want to call it last to minimize exposure on the least safe area of the tree and it was planned to be cut in a position that is a direct line with his escape route which is 45 degrees out the back from the direction of fall on the non leaning side. Thanks for posting that SlowP. That certainly was missing a few things from what I could see that would be done/taught on the east side of the US. Maybe it was just me but that instructor did not seem too sure of
himself in the vid the way he kept catn around the stump before finally letting it go. Whatcha think SlowP?

Holy schneikies, it's a wrap handle!

Now you need to go to a NWTF class and a John Pollman class (where is John?)

That tree apparently had more rot in it than originally thought. It did go in the direction planned, but seemed to not be holding as well as he figured. So, I think he cut the trigger higher than planned.

The tree was leaning hard so it would go in only one direction.

Before I go to any more classes, I better go cut some trees. We have some lined out, just gotta wait for folks to figure out what they want to do--try to get them on the ground by cutting, or by winching, or by both.

Did the tree go in the intended direction? I can't tell because to me it looks like he left a post near the face. The second pic I just can't make out.

Same here. Looks like the hinge was clipped on outside sapwood and had the center gutted out - Poked, as it were.

Should have Looked Up more often, imo.

Good point: them spiky bits ain't there just to look cool! I don't get a method that would require that much fighting the saw, instead of letting it do the work. In fact, there is a USFS training video from about 1990 with D. Dent instructing in a similar situation, only as soon as he had the hinge established, he flipped the saw over so all he had to do was hang on. That just makes a lot more sense to me. What's so wrong with the good ol' fan cut, anyway?

Aaaa, I freaking hate it!

Whats wrong with back barring Randy? I love back barring, I dog in though.

Nothing. Just keep that rear grip where it isn't going to bust your innerds. Back bar cutting has a high potential for walking out of the kerf, if that guy limp wristed it, it could have left a mark.

I do not know the ways of falling. He made a point of showing (he cut the top off a stump) that if you use the top of the bar, your chips pack into the kerf and help to keep it open. Like I said, I don't know enough to judge anybody on things like that. Maybe it is just another trick for the bag?

Now I must go do something I know about--gather huckleberries.

Oh, the bright coat came off for most of the day after this tree. He said it should have come off earlier because he worked up a sweat.

You've got a lot to learn about the bright coats there. The idea is basically to not wear any shirt under the coat when it's warm.

I would think that chips packed into the kerf could cause a serious kickback situation if the cutter is not aware of their presence. At least it could cause the saw to "walk out of the kerf" as mentioned above. I cannot, however, personally verify this because I don't backchain with the bar buried. Its pretty easy just to flip the powerhead over.

Hmmm. Just a quick glance up before walking back to the stump?

He did look up a couple of times. I would have expected more care from a GOLF. "F" is for Faller??

Thanks for the vid.

Back