The Great WI 50cc Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot, there's a lot of truth in that statement :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hello Adam, how are you today. Remember going down the AutoBond doing 100mph keep your eyes on the road, not over at Eve in the car beside you,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hello Adam, how are you today. Remember going down the AutoBond doing 100mph keep your eyes on the road, not over at Eve in the car beside you,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hello Elvis !!

When I do the Autobahn at 100mph, I always tell Eve "not now honey"...:greenchainsaw:

I'm a Stihl guy at heart. So I'm anxious to see them come out with a new 50cc saw that will put them back in the race in that size saw. The 260 just doesn't hold a candle power wise to the 346 or 5100. Oh, it's a good saw, it's just way outdated in power and filtration. Make me proud Stihl, make me proud:)

:) We can always hope, but I am afraid that we will be disappointed.......:popcorn::popcorn:

The little info that has leaked out is a bit discouraging, but could of course be misleading.

:) We can always hope, but I am afraid that we will be disappointed.......:popcorn::popcorn:

The little info that has leaked out is a bit discouraging, but could of course be misleading.

Good grief! Stihl's gonna put the 261 in a 372XP case! :dizzy:

I did not wait for the new 50cc Stihl to come up, and ordered me a husky a while ago.

Husky has made little hotrods for more than 20 years, so I did not hesitate brand wise. I took her virginity today in a couple of smaller walnut trees.

As expected, it's a perfect replacement for the 242xp. It has even some more grunt for the same weight. For shear limbing, I prefer however my MS200 as it's still much lighter.

Wish I had more trees...

346gsmall.jpg

Last edited:
As expected, it's a perfect replacement for the 242xp. It has even some more grunt for the same weight. For shear limbing, I prefer however my MS200 as it's still much lighter.

You no longer have the 242XP!!!!!
When does it arrive at my house and whats the tracking number!!!!:cry:

I did not wait for the new 50cc Stihl to come up, and ordered me a husky a while ago.

Husky has made little hotrods for more than 20 years, so I did not hesitate brand wise. I took her virginity today in a couple of smaller walnut trees.

Wish I had more trees...

346gsmall.jpg

Thats one saw I really like using. I can't complain about the 346 at all. Its been perfect since day one. The 200 is next on my list. Our rep had one in back of his truck the other day. I thought goooooooooooooodie another demo. Sadly he said no, it was not, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Guess I'll be making some calls to his wife blackmailing him soon, then it will be a demo,hehe

just like Niko your is only opinion....what makes 3/8th better on those saws? and i guess it depends on whta your cutting to. Some of the guys racing here in OZ are getting better results in our hardwood with .325 over 3/8 and this on upto 75cc saws. ....

Sure it depends on the wood - but even in the rather small 7" birch I "tested" in, my 5100S set at 14400 rpm was faster with .325x7 than with both .325x8 and 3/8"x7. As 3/8" did nothing for the Dolmar, I didn't care to test it on the on the 346xp - but that one was about halv a sec faster with both the .325 options in that wood. That actually surpriced me, but it was consistant trough several cuts with each, with each option.

I used Oregon 21LP in .325 and 73LP in 3/8 - the fastest chain I know of in both pitches, and I used the same (not just similar) bar and chain on both saws!

If someone tell me to let the 5100 (or the 346) run against the rev limiter, I will ignore them! :givebeer:

Last edited:
Good grief! Stihl's gonna put the 261 in a 372XP case! :dizzy:

LOL - As I understand it will share the tank assambly with the 291 and at least one more "homeowner" saw, but judging by the 362/311/391 story, not much more.....:cheers:

Just for fun, the specs indicate that the 311 and 391 actually will weight more than a "plain" MS440 or 372xp......:givebeer:

Odd you guys are talking about .325 vs 3/8 on those small saws. Two weeks ago I sold a 441 Artic to a bigtime firewood seller, he claims he sells over 200
cords a year. Before he took his 441 home he wanted two things done to it. He wanted the extra large dogs and sprocket cover put on it. Then to my surprize he wanted a 9 pin rim with a .325 chain and bar put on it. I thought ok, whatever you say.

He came back this week and I asked him how does that saw cut with that
.325 set up on it, he goes AWESOME. I said well how do you like the saw, he goes I LOVE IT. I thought well good. He spotted my demo 362 sitting on the counter and wanted to give it a spin. We went out to the log and he let it rip. He goes not bad, man this thing is sliky smooth but I would put a .325 set up on it.

So here we got a man putting .325 chains on 60-70cc saws while others are putting 3/8 chains on 50cc saws. Goes to prove its all in whatcha like..

Wish I had more trees...

346gsmall.jpg

Good choise! :clap::clap:

Mine doesn't look that pretty anymore - but change that NK bar and chain out for a 21LP(X) setup, and it will perform even better.

You can "use up" that setup on the weaker 242xp........:givebeer:

Well I never pick on ya you old geezer, you low life Husky heathen,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

No, you don't, and there actually are very few that do - just some fanatics! :)

:cheers:

Odd you guys are talking about .325 vs 3/8 on those small saws. ......

Well, I talk - but all my talk indicate that the .325 is the best option - provided the chain is Oregon LP(X) or Stihl RSC.

There are lots of crappy .325 chain models out there, that give the .325 an undeserved bad reputation - like the 30-series SL that Dolmar like to sell (might be the worst of them all, from a major brand).

There are more good options in 3/8" for sure, but the RSC and LP still are the best, as far as I know - for most use in clean wood.

Back