The Great WI 50cc Challenge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right in that having multiple of the same saw would be better, but taking out the operator aspect (each saw gets multiple users) would level the playing field a bit and help make a fair comparison.

I suggested that each operator be blindfolded to eliminate bias, but no one took me too seriously . . .

Philbert

In my opinion these saws are about as close as you can get, performance wise.
If someone is considering buying one they should buy it on price and preference of how it feels. This 2153 and my 5100 have raced each other before when the 2153 was newer. The 5100 was a few seconds faster. Both broken it they are pretty even. I can't see paying the extra money for a saw of the same peformance but I can understand somebody with brand loyalty or and older fella wanting to get a primer and decomp spending a little more to get it.

Buy what you want!

I don't think there is a point except that they did it,everyone is doing it and it seemed to be alot of fun.I got my Snellerized NE346XP because I want to get my wood done as fast as I can and for limbing and up to a certain size it just flat out flyes.I have Woodland Pro 28CR .058 X .325 on it now.GTG's are fun but I don't care about times and how fast it cuts a certian size peice of wood faster than another saw on that day.If it performs out in the woods the way I want I will be happy:clap: Oh yeah,the 5100 did not beat me,never will happen:chainsaw:

Ok, so what your saying is sort of a sport, the challenge, the need to win. Now I'm understanding the urgent need for speed and splitting hairs for bragging rights. Got it.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

My 2 cents worth-

I believe the reason for this race, test, unscientific experiment, or what ever you want to call it was not to see which saw was faster but to show how close they all were. GPT is right-buy the one you want from a dealer who will take care of you! :cheers:

the day after the first wheel was invented, everything was fine. the day after the first engine was put on wheels, life goes on. Only when the SECOND engine got put onto wheels, that was the day of the first race.
Just because....
it's a man thing I guess...

any of the new saws are so good it is preferences only.
and a way good time on Saturday seeing big kids play with their toys.

kcj

Well imagine that. Your testing shows the same thing ours did. The 2153/346 is the fastest saw. What can I say? Told you so! Add that to the fact that it handles better and you have a clear winner. And when I can get a 346 with B&C for $440, price isn't even a consideration.

Knowing what I pay for the 2153's looks like I need to start buying 346's from you!

the day after the first wheel was invented, everything was fine. the day after the first engine was put on wheels, life goes on. Only when the SECOND engine got put onto wheels, that was the day of the first race.
Just because....
it's a man thing I guess...

any of the new saws are so good it is preferences only.
and a way good time on Saturday seeing big kids play with their toys.

kcj

Close, the very first race went like this:

And Adam bit the apple and his eyes opened. He saw before him Eve for the first time, standing there in her naked glory. He screamed get back, get back, I don't know how big its gonna get. A race broke out and the chase continues to this very day.

I officially give up on videos for the night. Youtube is ticking me off, vids keep hanging up at 100%, but not finishing.

Going over to the GTG link and get some pics up if that works any better.

Dayummm same old argument still going on. Can't quite understand what the point is. One saw beats another in the cut by a second or less, ok, now what. Does this mean the slower of the two saws is no good, should be tossed in the dumpster, I don't think so. Is the faster saw automaticly considered a better saw just because of that one second win, I don't think so. Will the guy with the faster saw cut much more wood in a day than the man with the slower saw, not really.

So for you testers answer this if you please. What is the point and why is a second or less between two saws so important? I'd really like to know.

:cheers::cheers::yourock:

My 346xp is consistantly a tad faster than the 5100S, whatever rim, chain and 16" bar I put on them - but that has nothing to do with the fact that the 346xp is a much better saw - handling, balance, nimbleness in the woods and trigger responce is what really makes the difference! ;)

Last edited:
My 346xp is consistantly a tad faster than the 5100S, whatever rim, chain and 16" bar I put on them - but that has nothing to do with the fact that the 346xp is a much better saw - handling, balance, nimbleness in the woods and trigger responce is what really makes the difference! ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Next time put fuel in the 5100

:deadhorse:

:cheers::cheers::yourock:

Gee Troll-why do you still have the DOLMAR in your stable? Most guys would of sent that horse out to pasture along time ago...................

How can you claim a winner or loser out of times so close. What were the Husky 350 results, might be a loser there. Steve

The husky 350 just ran with .325 and finished with 62.7 seconds.

The 5105 also finished with 57.8 running .325

The time with the dorsal fin raker chain was about 4 seconds per cut slower than the rest of the LGX.

I say buy what you like !!!!!!!!!!! Im a true sthil man but for the money I think i would buy a dolmar, or if I wanted decomp and some other features 346 or the 2153! They are pretty much the same all around mainly prefference

Back